Scoop On Z4's

I will go out on the weekend to check the pq on this pj and if as good as people say will also check the 600 if it is for me count me in

how many does that make steve

"there is probably no more terrible instant of enlightenment than the one in which you discover your father is a man-with human flesh"

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will go out on the weekend to check the pq on this pj and if as good as people say will also check the 600 if it is for me count me in

how many does that make steve

"there is probably no more terrible instant of enlightenment than the one in which you discover your father is a man-with human flesh"

Honestly as to a realistic count, there are a few, on fence people still..

When time comes to say "this is the closing date, and send me an email via the forum with your address so i can send you final amount for payment inc freight (and your payment method) etc" i probably wont be able to give a definate amount of units..

However, stock is plentiful, and the wheels keep turning..

Not long now guys!!

Cheers,

Steve

Hi guys

I'm new to the forum - just joined. I've been planning my home cinema for some time and am finally ready to buy. What luck to have the opportunity to get a Z4 at this price. Steve, if I'm not too late, please count me in, so long as we're not tooooo long away.

cheers

Neil

Hi Guys,

Out of interest, most people have posted in forum or Pm'd me for details with the deal detailed above..

It is all still good at this stage, no quams, however, when the time comes to finalise payments, freight quotes etc, i will need people to contact me via EMAIL not PM so, to those that are interested, and havent contacted me via email direct (ie not thru the forums) etc please, either email me DIRECT or send me a PM so you can have my email address, as eventually, when closing time comes, only email addresses will be responded to, not emails via the forum..

Please note, this is not a dig, there are plenty of people who have only contacted me via the forum, and thats all good, but i need direct email addresses (not hotmail etc) for orders!

Cheers,

Steve

If this is an issue for anyone, i'm all ears..

Also, the main reason is, when the time comes, i will place a message on the board here for everyone to email me with final details, and i wont acept PM's then, only emails!

Sorry guys, count me out on this deal. See here http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=34084 for details.

Thanks to Steve for organising such a great deal, but I was bitten by the 'need it now' bug and also after reading reviews (and not being able to locate a demo Z4) I was concerned about the Z4s upscaling performance and also the fact that the AE900 seems to have a 'smoother' image.

I am sure you guys will all love your Z4s, I sure am loving my AE900.

Andrew.

The upscaling performance actually related to 480i NTSC signals, de-interlacing and upscaling to 720p.

Our 576i PAL signals upscaled to 720p do not suffer the same level of artifacts.

Unfortunately the Panasonic AE900 smoothing technology working to minimize the SDE has the effect of smudging the image a little resulting in a 'softer ' picture.

C.M

Thanks Chickenman for the explanation on upscaling. I'd read about it in some reviews and didn't know whether it would affect us in Oz or not. So your news is welcome.

I've been tossing up between the Z4 & the TW600. I like the extra brightness of the TW600, but I NEED the 2:1 lens of the Z4 as I need to mount the projector on the back wall - 5.7m from the screen. I expect the Z4 is plenty bright enough to enjoy in a non light controlled room in the night (any comments?).

I've PM'ed Steve to count me in for a Z4. Can't wait!! Bring it on!!

The upscaling performance actually related to 480i NTSC signals, de-interlacing and upscaling to 720p.

Our 576i PAL signals upscaled to 720p do not suffer the same level of artifacts.

Unfortunately the Panasonic AE900 smoothing technology working to minimize the SDE has the effect of smudging the image a little resulting in a 'softer ' picture.

C.M

Thanks for that Chicken Man.

I was sure that I read that it was a problem for all sources, but maybe not.

Anyhow, the upscaling performance wasn't the deciding factor, it only tipped the balance in the Panny's favour.

Andrew.

nool,

The Sanyo Z4 has 1000 lumens of brightness as against the Epson TW600 's 1600 lumens.

But brightness isn't everything, high contrast is just as important as any other parameter.

The downside of a high brightness output is the limitations of lamp life, the higher cost for extra bright lamps, possible early discolouration of the LCD panels and filters etc.

Higher output also requires higher levels of cooling too.....with higher fan noise.

Certainly the Epson TW600 is an excellent LCD projector but in selecting any projector one needs to qualify that with one 's needs and as such I am with you as I too need a long throw projector for my HT room.

Also I need a projector that allows me to convienently clean the LCD panels,this I count as an important facility as dust particles invariably find their way onto the LCD panels of any LCD projector.

I have presently got a big dust blob on sceen now with my Sanyo Z2 ,though only visible in dark scenes it is a real nuisance to see and impossible to remove without disassembly of the projector. So the Z4 fits the bill for me in more ways than one.

C.M

nool,

The Sanyo Z4 has 1000 lumens of brightness as against the Epson TW600 's 1600 lumens.

But brightness isn't everything, high contrast is just as important as any other parameter.

The downside of a high brightness output is the limitations of lamp life, the higher cost for extra bright lamps, possible early discolouration of the LCD panels and filters etc.

Higher output also requires higher levels of cooling too.....with higher fan noise.

Certainly the Epson TW600 is an excellent LCD projector but in selecting any projector one needs to qualify that with one 's needs and as such I am with you as I too need a long throw projector for my HT room.

Also I need a projector that allows me to convienently clean the LCD panels,this I count as an important facility as dust particles invariably find their way onto the LCD panels of any LCD projector.

I have presently got a big dust blob on sceen now with my Sanyo Z2 ,though only visible in dark scenes it is a real nuisance to see and impossible to remove without disassembly of the projector. So the Z4 fits the bill for me in more ways than one.

C.M

All good points. As you say it's not just a case of which projector is the best for the money, but which is the best fit for one's needs. And the only way to work that one out is to do your own research.

Thanks for giving me extra confidence in my decision to go for the Z4. Fingers and everything crossed now for the scoop purchase to come off!

Which is *utterly* meaningless.

If you go here you will find a hands-on comparison between the two indicates the Z4 is in*brighter* than the Epson.

http://www.avbuzz.com/audio-video/200510/ckl-tw600/index.htm

Be very cautious where specs are concerned - I have a Panasonic catalogue that claims a Midi-System has 4800 watts of power - yup more than 4 kilowatts of output power.

Where the Sanyo and the Epson are concerned the main issues is likely to be screen door effect.

Which is *utterly* meaningless.

If you go here you will find a hands-on comparison between the two indicates the Z4 is in*brighter* than the Epson.

http://www.avbuzz.com/audio-video/200510/ckl-tw600/index.htm

Be very cautious where specs are concerned - I have a Panasonic catalogue that claims a Midi-System has 4800 watts of power - yup more than 4 kilowatts of output power.

Where the Sanyo and the Epson are concerned the main issues is likely to be screen door effect.

I too have seen reviews where when properly calibrated for video use the Epson was less bright than the Z4 and AE900. However, the same review said that when the brightness was turned up (say for daytime viewing), the picture of the TW600 suffered less than the others.

So while the TW600 will be less bright in a fully darkened environment, when you turn the wick up to combat ambient light, it will outperform the others.

So in other words in my fully light controlled room, an 1100 ansi projector beats a 1600 ansi projector.

Do you get it yet Chicken Man?...

The statement ...."The Sanyo Z4 has 1000 lumens of brightness as against the Epson TW600 's 1600 lumens."

is not *utterly* meaningless. as you put it

It is an indication of the relative brightness of the lamps.

You are making the assumption all users use Economy mode, so if the Epson TW600 was working in full power mode and the Sanyo Z4 in Economy mode, the Epson would clearly be brighter than the Sanyo Z4 as it is in an uncontrolled light environment.

Who said all things were equal ? Practical reality is different to controlled testing and much has to do with calibration.

Do you get it yet Blownpixel ?....

C.M

OK!!

And well, what can i say, just my .02c, my exp with both the pana and the sanyo yep i work with both! (i wont talk to epson or sony anymore as a serious result of bad end user support, but that is my issue alone.. and they do make good products!) is simply, dont trust what you see on paper, if you get the opportunity, head to head, you may think, oh (cant say this word in public) that doesnt add up!

There have been a few drop out, some based on impatience, ie i want it now not in 5 more days, and some who have decided based on factors of not seeing a Z4 in the flesh against its competition, and that is fine, i understand! Hell, i wouldnt buy a car without a test drive so all cool!!

Basically back to 5 people total now..

On a side note, as a result, there will be a followup required shortly, basically, those of you that have NOT (and i apologise for mail server issues here) received a full quote including freight to your front door, please email me direct as stated previously (you can email me thru the forum indeed!), cut off date for order is 5th May.. ie please have your final quote ready so you can make paymets at that date. and i can get the product to you..

IE... 4th May Last day to get shipping quote and final price!

This is to avoid issues with other people who want to act immediately..

Please note, after this cut-off (the 5 will still be needed for this deal) there are still options open and MAYBE, just MAYBE i can get the same deal again.. However its a long shot, and i suggest, if you fall outside the cut-off, please email/pm me after i have said the initial orders are finalised and ready to be dispatched so maybe another deal can be sought..

Cheers,

Steve,

If there is any confusion, please post, else, hopefully the numbers add up and everyone is happy.. Once again, if you havent recieved a final price including freight i apologise, the mail server i use has been having somewhat annoying issues of late, including receiving messages as well as sending!!

It is not *utterly* meaningless. as you put it

It is an indication of the relative brightness of the lamps.

It is utterly meaningless.

Here's why;

Describe in detail the measuring protocol used by Sanyo and Epson.

Define the parameters of their testing.

Describe the environment in which the testing was done.

Confirm the similarities and differences between Sanyo and Epson's testing regime.

Name the equipment being used.

Can't do it?

These specs are marketing not measurement. Barco put out a white paper discussing these issues several years back and concluded;

"Playing the lumen game...has led to the deplorable situation where the value of brightness specifications of the different manufacturers are reduced to a factor of publicity, without much relationship to reality and without any means of reproducing the results."

Do you get it yet?

**Utterly meaningless**.