Constant Image Height 2.35:1

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What what I did get excited about is a the latest DENON player that has a 4 x 3 horizontal squeeze mode. This is handy for 4 x 3 material, as it automatically side pillars the image making it pefect for CIH.

This player also passes PLUGE :blink:

Mark

Which Denon player are you referring too Mark? The 2930 maybe?

PLUGE == picture line-up generation equipment?

Learned a new acronym! :D

Hi Mark,

Is the aussiemorphic lens, up to production stage as of yet??

very keen on this..., probably the only solution in AUS, that looks reliable...

Or affordable :P

The Aussiemorphic Lens works well and can be customised for individual set ups...Right now I'm testing anti-reflective elements... :ph34r:

Which Denon player are you referring too Mark? The 2930 maybe?

PLUGE == picture line-up generation equipment?

Learned a new acronym! smile.gif

That might work :D

I think that is the model number or it 2910? :blink: . Anyway seems to be the next player to add to my system...

I've installed a couple now and I think they seem to work well, and the Horizontal Squueze is certainly useful in CIH...

Mark

I think that is the model number or it 2910? :blink: . Anyway seems to be the next player to add to my system...
Possibly the 2930 then

Denon DVD-3930 & DVD-2930 w/Realta T2 Chip

I was in a shop the other day talking about replacing my aging DVD Player with something with a bit of quality and it was suggested I could do worse than look at this one. About to be relaesed in the next two weeks. Had the Denon link too!.

Since then it was suggested I have a good look at the Marantz line too.

Apologies to the OP, not meaning to hijack your thread.

Possibly the 2930 then

Denon DVD-3930 & DVD-2930 w/Realta T2 Chip

I was in a shop the other day talking about replacing my aging DVD Player with something with a bit of quality and it was suggested I could do worse than look at this one. About to be relaesed in the next two weeks. Had the Denon link too!.

Since then it was suggested I have a good look at the Marantz line too.

Apologies to the OP, not meaning to hijack your thread.

I'm pretty sure THIS is the player...

Not sure why they state the 7.1 IRE level is too low. At least it goes below 7.5IRE...

The point of topic and this thread is CIH, and because this player has H squeeze, makes it more than OK for this thread...

Mark

I'm pretty sure THIS is the player...

The point of topic and this thread is CIH, and because this player has H squeeze, makes it more than OK for this thread...

I thought the 2910 had been around for awhile whereas the 2930 seems to be hot off the press. From what I've read they both look to be great players. The price I was given for the 2930 was $1550 so it seems slightly more expensive. More food for thought. :blink:

I thought the 2910 had been around for awhile whereas the 2930 seems to be hot off the press. From what I've read they both look to be great players. The price I was given for the 2930 was $1550 so it seems slightly more expensive. More food for thought. :blink:

And the 2910 must be fairly entry level then. But overall I was impressed with what it did...

Mark

And the 2910 must be fairly entry level then. But overall I was impressed with what it did...

Mark

I think it is better than that. There is a 1930 or something that is a DivX player and a lower level. The 2930 had the Denon link though like the 3910. Have you looked at the Marantz?

I think it is better than that. There is a 1930 or something that is a DivX player and a lower level. The 2930 had the Denon link though like the 3910. Have you looked at the Marantz?

Not lately. Do they have H squeeze?

See to make CIH affordable, we are going to need a line of products that don't require a high $$$ out lay. So therefore players that can manipulate the image without the need for an outboard scaler are going to be high on the list.

Of then comes the the screen and the anamorphic lens which up and till now has been cost prohibitive to the average punter...

Mark

I think the Panasonic S97 has the right stretch modes, and it can be had for around $200 to $250 nowadays. Maybe benthx can confirm this as he's just bought ont to use in his CIH setup.

I'll check if the Oppo does it too.

I think the Panasonic S97 has the right stretch modes, and it can be had for around $200 to $250 nowadays. Maybe benthx can confirm this as he's just bought ont to use in his CIH setup.

Thanks Foggy :blink:

I think the oppo does...

The other thing we need to consider is if the player/projector combo works over digital. See most projectors lock the signal at 16:9 over digital, so a player than can either V stretch or H squeeze is essential...

My HD950 will not allow the projector to use the 4 x 3 ZOOM for upscaled 720P or 1080i, but will for 768P (not sure why) for both YUV and HDMI. The EZview modes all work regardless with a motion picture...

Mark

Yes benTHX and I have a double order in for one of these (for each of us). We hope to have it late this week or next.

Seems that the Momitsu DVD player is the only one that is certified (although this is an oldish thread):

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=537491

There is a new Momitsu due soon - a networked version V888N - not sure though if this will allow custom resolution settings like the previous versions ? There doesnt appear to be a lot of info about this player as yet:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=698149

See to make CIH affordable, we are going to need a line of products that don't require a high $$$ out lay. So therefore players that can manipulate the image without the need for an outboard scaler are going to be high on the list.

Of then comes the the screen and the anamorphic lens which up and till now has been cost prohibitive to the average punter...

Mark

The PJ can also perform this scaling if I read correctly - the BenQ 8720 (amongst others) will do this from all reports.

http://www.panamorph.com/Compatibility.html

from my memory all the denons from the 1910, 2910, 3910 all had the macroblocking, which i can't stand, the reason why i went for a pioneer 989, it does the whole lot, no macro and passes pluge...

Combined with a Sony HS60 over HDMI, would this provide the stretch required of a 2.35 movie?

I am seriously considering getting a prismasonic lens.

How large is the lens on the HS60, and is it recessed?

Seems that the Momitsu DVD player is the only one that is certified (although this is an oldish thread):

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=537491

There is a new Momitsu due soon - a networked version V888N - not sure though if this will allow custom resolution settings like the previous versions ? There doesnt appear to be a lot of info about this player as yet:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=698149

The PJ can also perform this scaling if I read correctly - the BenQ 8720 (amongst others) will do this from all reports.

http://www.panamorph.com/Compatibility.html

Over digital as well as analogue?

Mark

The 8720 will do the required stretch as I understand it with digital as well. I ran a cheap toshiba(borrowed) dvd player with hdmi into the 8720 and it worked fine at the res selections for that input.

The panasonic s52 is S**T in comparison. Get the s97 if you still can and its a bargin buy. (if you are in perth send me or LYLE a pm) This will do me for a while and then I might get the oppo 971h with hdmi opps di I same hdmi :blink:

Ben

I have a dv9500. If I recall corectly it does 0IRE (is this Pluge?? i'm not sure :blink:). Its upscaling and general iq I have found to be very good. Mines not setup as well as it could be though - still learning.

My dvd player offers: 4:3 leterbox, 4:3 pan & scan, 16:9 wide, 16:9 squeeze.

My 8720 offers similar image control.

If I used an anamorphic lens would these allow adjustment of the image to display through the lens with the correct visual ratio?

And the Marantz line??? What of them?

The marantz line are generally excellent, their was a step up in quality when i compared the pio 989 and marantz DV9600, but not as much for to fork out the extra 2grand...., the pio 989 looked better to my eye than the DV6600, plus the pio 989 can pass 576i through HDMI (untouched signal), which can then be sent to a DVDo Scaler, to be processed....

I have a dv9500. If I recall corectly it does 0IRE (is this Pluge?? i'm not sure tongue.gif). Its upscaling and general iq I have found to be very good. Mines not setup as well as it could be though - still learning.

My dvd player offers: 4:3 leterbox, 4:3 pan & scan, 16:9 wide, 16:9 squeeze.

My 8720 offers similar image control.

If I used an anamorphic lens would these allow adjustment of the image to display through the lens with the correct visual ratio?

It can be a little confusing. The Pioneer DV969 ($3K when first released) labled it as 7.5IRE to pass blacker than black where 0IRE would clip the blacks (and the whites).

The point is we have 256 levels of grey 0 - 255 and our players should be able pass it all - not be limited from 16 - 235...

16:9 squeeze - what does that do to the picture?

If this does indeed squeeze the image, then yes, the anamorphic lens will strecth the image back into shape...

Mark

It can be a little confusing. The Pioneer DV969 ($3K when first released) labled it as 7.5IRE to pass blacker than black where 0IRE would clip the blacks (and the whites).

The point is we have 256 levels of grey 0 - 255 and our players should be able pass it all - not be limited from 16 - 235...

16:9 squeeze - what does that do to the picture?

If this does indeed squeeze the image, then yes, the anamorphic lens will strecth the image back into shape...

Mark

hmmm... the 9500 actually has 2 sections where image size is set - one in the "video" section and the other in the "HDMI" section. Choosing 4:3 or letterbox is not available under HDMI and the "video" section is greyed out for these setings too when HDMI is being used. Looks like I'd have to go back to component to have all of my visual options.

Sending a 16:9 image to the pj from the DVD player I can select "letterbox" on the pj and it will make the 2.35:1 image (i used gladiator as my test disc) full height with no horizontal bars and no clipping of the image edges. People look tall and slim so I exepct this is the movie setting i'd need to watch using an anamorphic lens.

Ideally, i'd rather use component I think and have the dvd player do all of the image manipulation so the pj just displays at 1:1 using "real" setting. Alternatively using component I can have the dvd player output at native interlaced dvd resolution (HDMI only outputs progressive) and let the pj do all of the work. Loses the benefit of owning the 9500 though since I did buy it for its excellent scaling and deinterlacing capability.

Also not sure what other settings i'd be able to use for 16:9 material or 4:3.

hmmm... the 9500 actually has 2 sections where image size is set - one in the "video" section and the other in the "HDMI" section. Choosing 4:3 or letterbox is not available under HDMI and the "video" section is greyed out for these setings too when HDMI is being used. Looks like I'd have to go back to component to have all of my visual options.

Whilst digital connectios make the image that much nicer, it is designed to be native 16:9...

Sending a 16:9 image to the pj from the DVD player I can select "letterbox" on the pj and it will make the 2.35:1 image (i used gladiator as my test disc) full height with no horizontal bars and no clipping of the image edges. People look tall and slim so I exepct this is the movie setting i'd need to watch using an anamorphic lens.

Correct, so what you have done is part 1 (scaling) or the 2 part process (scaling + optics) I talked about on the earlier pages of this thread...

Ideally, i'd rather use component I think and have the dvd player do all of the image manipulation so the pj just displays at 1:1 using "real" setting. Alternatively using component I can have the dvd player output at native interlaced dvd resolution (HDMI only outputs progressive) and let the pj do all of the work. Loses the benefit of owning the 9500 though since I did buy it for its excellent scaling and deinterlacing capability.

Also not sure what other settings i'd be able to use for 16:9 material or 4:3.

Ultimately, you may need a scaler. I visited a guy in Brisbane that had the 969 connected to a VP 30 via HDMI, yet the player was set to 576i. He was letting the scaler do its magic taking the signal upto 720 (again over HDMI) for his Optima projector...

Mark

Also of interest is the Samsung HD860. It is mentioned on the Prismasonic anamorphic lens website as being capable of the stretch required. It is activated using the Ezyview function = Screen Fit when a 2.35:1 movie is displayed on a 16:9 display device.

This is available via HDMI, the player also upconverts to 720p and 1080i.

It is available for $189 in SA at The Good Guys, therefore being a cheaper option to get started on the path to a constant height setup.