Acer AT3705-MGW 37" LCD TV

Guest zanoni

Hmmm, ours is in with exactly the same problem!

Hi,

I am an Acer LCD TV repairer.. if you can give me the acer case number i can find out exactly where your tv is and what is happenning..

for all those woundering the latest digital firmware currently out for Australia is dVWx_AU_V1.08

anyone with dVWx_EU_V1.09 is for the european system and will not function correctly.. the loosing of digital channels is solved by this update.. and the chanel 10 sync problem in WA currently has no fix.

We have recently had our TV in to get the "Channel Memory" problem fixed. It came back with a new main board as far as I can tell. Last weekend I went to connect our computers to it via the DVI input. Guest what, it didn't work :-( Tried two different computers with two different cables. "No signal" detected. Interestingly the computers automatically identified the TV, so something is working. Before I have to send it back yet again and lose it for another 2 weeks, is there anything in the "service mode" to help debug this. As the DVI connector is on the main board, they will want it back in the workshop. BTW - the VGA input works so this could be a data stream switching issue somewhere deep in the logic.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

I am an Acer LCD TV repairer.. if you can give me the acer case number i can find out exactly where your tv is and what is happenning..

for all those woundering the latest digital firmware currently out for Australia is dVWx_AU_V1.08

anyone with dVWx_EU_V1.09 is for the european system and will not function correctly.. the loosing of digital channels is solved by this update.. and the chanel 10 sync problem in WA currently has no fix.

We have recently had our TV in to get the "Channel Memory" problem fixed. It came back with a new main board as far as I can tell. Last weekend I went to connect our computers to it via the DVI input. Guest what, it didn't work :-( Tried two different computers with two different cables. "No signal" detected. Interestingly the computers automatically identified the TV, so something is working. Before I have to send it back yet again and lose it for another 2 weeks, is there anything in the "service mode" to help debug this. As the DVI connector is on the main board, they will want it back in the workshop. BTW - the VGA input works so this could be a data stream switching issue somewhere deep in the logic.

Well then there must be something apart from the firmware wrong with ours as we have the following:

AppC:VWE7_EU_AU037_V1.012

DTV:dVWEX_AU_V1.08R2

and we have had the channels screw up 3 times in the past few months. At first I thought it was the kids fiddling, but after the 2nd time it happened, further investigation pointed to the tv. Up/down buttons select the wrong channels as does the ch list. Don't know if i can be bothered sending it back, as 5 mins to rescan the channels is better than 2 days in the workshop (even if i had to rescan twice to fix the channels the last time it happened). Maybe if ACER come up with another fix?

We also still have the lip sync problem. Worst is channel 2 esp spicks & specks.

Guest zanoni
Well then there must be something apart from the firmware wrong with ours as we have the following:

AppC:VWE7_EU_AU037_V1.012

DTV:dVWEX_AU_V1.08R2

and we have had the channels screw up 3 times in the past few months. At first I thought it was the kids fiddling, but after the 2nd time it happened, further investigation pointed to the tv. Up/down buttons select the wrong channels as does the ch list. Don't know if i can be bothered sending it back, as 5 mins to rescan the channels is better than 2 days in the workshop (even if i had to rescan twice to fix the channels the last time it happened). Maybe if ACER come up with another fix?

We also still have the lip sync problem. Worst is channel 2 esp spicks & specks.

If yours goes anything like ours, it will get progressively worse to the point that every time you change channels you have to re-scan. Since ours had the last latest firmware, the lip sync has improved. The down side is that even the Component I/P's also have a slight but tolerable delay. The tuner delay is variable from in-sync to a way off. Sometimes just changing off channel and back again will re-sync. The other weird effect is that we find switching inductive loads on and off (ie fluorescent lights, 12v down lights, etc) will cause the audio stream to stall and restart in sync.

Hi Everyone. I have the Acer AT3705 MGW and it was working well under XP. Ever since i upgraded it to vista it freezes after a few minutes of video. I can go back to xp but id rather i didnt have too. My current firmware is 1.0.6. Acer hasnt been any help re firmware or where to get it. Or even a vista version of econsole.

Can anyone please point me in the right direction for firmware of software download.

cheers

Paddy

Im reposting as i saw an acer tech replying and hoped he might be able to give me an answer

Guest Sunstorm
ok easiest way to see if an issue with your setup is

make sure router is set as access point

set 1 computer via wired and set 2nd computer via wireless and see if you can still file share etc

between the 2.

if not working check firewall settings and ensure ip addresses are from the same subnet

Hi,

I'm a newbie writing from sunny south of France.

I bought my AT3705-MGW in June '06. Our small village got access to broadband Internet in November '06. This is when I decided to try the MGW and I have to admit I have been unable to setup wireless or Ethernet connection with my router.

Browsing this forum, I noticed I was not the only one experiencing such a problem. I did try some of the recommended fixes without result including the reset to factory settings and reboot.

The TV does find my Wifi network but the connection always fails.

My configuration is as follows:

Desktop PC, XP SP1 connected via Ethernet to a Sagem Livebox modem/router with built-in wireless.

The Acer service menu reads as follows:

AppC: VWE7_EU_CM037_V1.11

Boot: OpaB_01_C1 - VE7

MCU: MCU Version String

DTV: dVWEx_EU_V1.07

SN: !000000...

Acer's tech support has been of no help to-date.

There must be something I am doing wrong or something with my router setup or an Acer firmware upgrade.

I would be grateful if someone could help me fixing this.

Thanks

Edited by Sunstorm

Guest obrooks
Hi,

I'm a newbie writing from sunny south of France.

I bought my AT3705-MGW in June '06. Our small village got access to broadband Internet in November '06. This is when I decided to try the MGW and I have to admit I have been unable to setup wireless or Ethernet connection with my router.

Browsing this forum, I noticed I was not the only one experiencing such a problem. I did try some of the recommended fixes without result including the reset to factory settings and reboot.

The TV does find my Wifi network but the connection always fails.

My configuration is as follows:

Desktop PC, XP SP1 connected via Ethernet to a Sagem Livebox modem/router with built-in wireless.

The Acer service menu reads as follows:

AppC: VWE7_EU_CM037_V1.11

Boot: OpaB_01_C1 - VE7

MCU: MCU Version String

DTV: dVWEx_EU_V1.07

SN: !000000...

Acer's tech support has been of no help to-date.

There must be something I am doing wrong or something with my router setup or an Acer firmware upgrade.

I would be grateful if someone could help me fixing this.

Thanks

Hi first thing i would do is apply sp2 to xp this had a lot of wireless stuff updated

Hi, I'm thinking about buying the Acer AT3705-MGW, all specs look fantastic. What i'm wanting to know is what video card should i buy for my PC in order to get 1080p @ 60hz, I'm looking at setting my PC up as a media centre with a blu ray player, And want the best possible results. I have read in the thread that i require a DVI to HDMI cable from my PC to screen and i also need to change some settings on the card in order to get 1080p 60hz. Some of the new G force cards have HDMI out, are these cards capable of transfering 1080p 60hz from PC to screen.

Can I do what i want to do with this screen, or should i look at a different model.

Regards,

Geoff

• 1 month later...

Hey guys

Just bought the AT3705-HMGW for 1895... plus the 150 cashback from acer is a great deal!

OK, great picture in HD digital, sound surprisingly good for onboard speakers. I have connected up to my PC via DVI > HDMI cable. When I try MOST resolutions, I have a 'blurry' output. The only res that seems bearible is 1280 x 1024 @ 60HZ. This is still not as clear as a PC monitor however :blink:

I'm running a 128mb 6600GT, all the resolutions are 'available' up to 1920 x 1080... they're just really blurry/fuzzy. Can someone provide me with some advice as to how I can get higher resolutions running clearly? I prob sound noob, but I have read perhaps every page of this forum and I have heard others use powerstrip, others nvidia control panel- I just don't know what timings to use in advanced- I tried the preset 1920x1080p in all Hz, but all are blurry :D

Some advice/tutorials?

Other than PC input, TV has been great. 3 year warranty is pretty cool too!

OK, I tried some custom timings and got 1080p registered @ 60hz. Looks far better than 1280x1024 @ 60hz did. When I say 'better', the clarity of the screen has been really improved- it use to look hazy, now it looks like a monitor :blink:

The only thing is... I am 'missing' some of the screen. Initially it was pretty much 10% of the left hand side of the screen. I played around with the back-end active and found that at 1907 pixels I can see most of the screen- now the only part I cannot see is a thin strip down the right hand side (About half of the red [X] 'Close' button- half the year from 2007 on the date at bottom).

Anyone know how I can remedy this- I dropped back-end active to below 1907 but no further improvements were made- just looked the same as 1907:(

Is there something I can do with the front/back porch or the synch width to overcome this?

Thanks guys, without this forum I'd be stuck with 1280 x 1024

Hi, I'm thinking about buying the Acer AT3705-MGW, all specs look fantastic. What i'm wanting to know is what video card should i buy for my PC in order to get 1080p @ 60hz, I'm looking at setting my PC up as a media centre with a blu ray player, And want the best possible results. I have read in the thread that i require a DVI to HDMI cable from my PC to screen and i also need to change some settings on the card in order to get 1080p 60hz. Some of the new G force cards have HDMI out, are these cards capable of transfering 1080p 60hz from PC to screen.

Can I do what i want to do with this screen, or should i look at a different model.

Regards,

Geoff

I'm running my AT3705 with a Mobility Radeon X1600 using DVI-DVI (no HDMI) and can run 1080P successfully, now...

After messing about with various settings, software and forum posts for a few hours, all I did was set the pixel clock to 110MHz (the maximum spec of the display) and voila! I do have to say that even though it's obviously 1:1 pixel mapping, I'm seeing the image get "smeared" to the right - weird. Could be due to my cheap ($5) DVI lead I suppose..

hi guys,

I have tried to find the answer to this in the 75 pages of posts but i did not have any luck.

I am trying to set up the media center to stream vids. I;m doing this wirelessly through a netgear router.

I have set it up with no encription - just using the restricted access list.

I have added the TV's mac to the list. the router has assigned it a IP and it can contect to the internet (because it can play internet radio)

I have installed the eConsole on my computer.

However, it will not pick up my computer as a media center.

Can someone tell me what i am doing wrong. - or failing that provide me with the phone number for Acer's technical support (as that section of there website seems to be down)...

Thanks,

Guest debaser

howdy peoples, read this forum from start to finish before diving in, thanks for the all the great info. Picked up a unit in brissy for $1895, its the AT305HMWG (hi def dig tuner inbuilt).

Great unit, plugged it into my media centre using DVI-->HDMI cable and it basically went automatically to 1080P@60Htz ... fantasic display.

Now, time to play with all the other bits and pieces it has to offer :D

:blink:

debaser

• 2 weeks later...

Could someone who owns this unit please post some pics of what the tv actually looks like in the flesh and in action because I am considering buying the unit but live in a rural town so don't have the chance to see the tv in action. Connected to a pc and some close up of blacks would also be great.

hi guys,

I have tried to find the answer to this in the 75 pages of posts but i did not have any luck.

I am trying to set up the media center to stream vids. I;m doing this wirelessly through a netgear router.

I have set it up with no encription - just using the restricted access list.

I have added the TV's mac to the list. the router has assigned it a IP and it can contect to the internet (because it can play internet radio)

I have installed the eConsole on my computer.

However, it will not pick up my computer as a media center.

Can someone tell me what i am doing wrong. - or failing that provide me with the phone number for Acer's technical support (as that section of there website seems to be down)...

Thanks,

Hi If you are using MC you you can't stream to eConsole. MC saves in dvs-ms & eConsole doesn't recognise it. All you can do is watch it on your PC or burn it to a disk

Edited by tych

• 2 months later...

This thread's still going!!!

I've just got my at3705-dtv from highpoint to fix lost channels problem. It's now got AppC version 2.000 and dtv version ...AU_1.06

It will autoscan and find channels but seems to hang at 100%. I have to cancel to get out of it and I've got nothing...... :angry2:

What is anyone else's experience with this firmware version and is it the most up to date? Perhaps I should be requesting an older version?

Cheers,

Dave.

Hi everyone, I would prefer to get a 1080p TV now in case I get a PS3 so I found out about this and wondered how they can sell a 1080p for under $2k when other TV brands are selling for $3K. Is it a badge thing?

I won't be using the Media Center feature though as I have an Apple iMac (I can stream via a PS3 though!).

So should I find a DTV or is the HMGW an improvement even if I'm not using the networking or streaming features?

Hi everyone, I would prefer to get a 1080p TV now in case I get a PS3 so I found out about this and wondered how they can sell a 1080p for under $2k when other TV brands are selling for $3K. Is it a badge thing?

I won't be using the Media Center feature though as I have an Apple iMac (I can stream via a PS3 though!).

So should I find a DTV or is the HMGW an improvement even if I'm not using the networking or streaming features?

This model has been out for a long time, thats why companies are selling them at cost.

I bought an Acer at3705-MGW about 1 month ago, and i'm absolutely loving the TV, although i'm having a problem getting a decent brightness/contrast/color combination happening.

Right now i've got it on Brightness - 72, Contrast - 50, Colour - 50, but many TV shows and commercials that have A LOT of white in the image pretty much drowns out everything else in the picture, and all other shades (greys, etc..) can barely be seen at all because of the extreme amount of white.

Does anyone have a good combination they use at all? Or is there some sort of free calibration software DVD i can download and use?

Any information at all is very much appreciated. Thank you :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I have just purchased one of these and I was wondering if any one has done anything with the root login. Are there any websites with more information on people hacking this TV?

Can anyone provide a list of the confirmed issues with this TV. I have read through the thread and people make claims but they are later challenged or something else happens and its a bit hard to keep up with it all.

Cheers,

Linus

PS OZSlayer I think I found it but its the Europe version - dont know how much of a difference that makes

ftp://ftp.work.acer-euro.com/home-enterta...sole_1_2_23.zip

ftp://ftp.work.acer-euro.com/home-enterta...AT3705/software

Edited by linus

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

I've tried looking through most of the pages in this thread and most don't seem to be the same problem as mine.

I'm using the AT3705-MGW with Vista Media Centre and when I try and set the resolution to 1920x1080 @ 30hz the TV has blurry lines across the screen. It's the same with all frequencies from 20hz to 30hz.

I have it connected with a DVI cable and the sound is on external speakers.

I have reinstalled Vista on multiple occasions, I have bought different video cards (previously had an nvidia 6200, the on board X300 and an 8600GTS to test and still the same thing. I've also tried the latest and older nvidia/ati drivers.

I have tried plugging my gaming computer into it which has Vista Home Premium 64-bit and it does the same thing when set at 1920x1080 @ 20-30hz

The highest res it works on without the blurred lines is 1360x768 @ 60hz.

My boss has exactly the same TV (bought at the same time) with the same operating system with older components and his works at 1920x1080 @ 30hz resolution without any problems.

Please find a screenshot of the problem here:

http://www.hemingati.co.nz/acer-tv-1080i..

-it was taken with an 8MP camera using a tripod.

Any help would be appreciated.

note- I have no experience with Powerstrip so haven't tried this at all (not sure how to set it up)

My Specs:

AMD Athlon64 X2 4000+ EE (2.0GHz) 2x512k Cache *Dual Core* 65W 2000Mhz Socket AM2 CPU + Fan Retail Boxed

Corsair XMS2 (TWIN2X2048-6400) Dual Channel kit 2x 1GB PC6400 DDR2 (800Mhz) Memory CL5-5-5-12

Asus M2A-VM HDMI Socket AM2 Motherboard

GIGABYTE GV-NX84G256H 8400GS PCI-E Graphics Card

Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 (ST3808110AS) 80GB 7200RPM SATA-II Hard Disk Drive 8MB Cache

AT3705-MGW connected via DVI

Edited by ppChrism

Hi Guys,

I've tried looking through most of the pages in this thread and most don't seem to be the same problem as mine.

I'm using the AT3705-MGW with Vista Media Centre and when I try and set the resolution to 1920x1080 @ 30hz the TV has blurry lines across the screen. It's the same with all frequencies from 20hz to 30hz.

I have it connected with a DVI cable and the sound is on external speakers.

I have reinstalled Vista on multiple occasions, I have bought different video cards (previously had an nvidia 6200, the on board X300 and an 8600GTS to test and still the same thing. I've also tried the latest and older nvidia/ati drivers.

I have tried plugging my gaming computer into it which has Vista Home Premium 64-bit and it does the same thing when set at 1920x1080 @ 20-30hz

The highest res it works on without the blurred lines is 1360x768 @ 60hz.

From experience, you are going to need to play with the advanced settings in the Nvidia control panel to get your video card putting out a resolution that the TV likes.

It took me ages to get it displaying at full res (search my previous posts for more info), I think from memory I had to set my card to display at 1918x1078 @ 50hz which is decent apart from the faint vertical lines moving up the screen noticeable on the desktop and some backgrounds.

Edited by martino

• 2 weeks later...

I have to report the terrible service I just received from Acer.

I was a very early purchaser of this at3705 when it first was released.

I have finally had enough of the issues with my television; (scrolling lines, back light leakage in all corners, remote not working all the time, switching on itself randomly).

Phone Acer yesterday and made a warranty claim.

They then went on to inform me that they no longer have on site warranty and they would send a courier and provide a box to pick the tv up and I will be with out the tv for up to 10 days.

Today a courier shows up with a box that is too small height wise for the television.

He was in a real rush and had no time to carefully pack the tv as I would expect; instead he bubble wrapped it (not the top or stand) and then placed it in the box, bend the top of box as it would not close with out doing so and then taped it all shut.

I originally started to bubble wrap my remote and he said he had 20 other deliveries and no time to wait; he grabbed it and placed it in the box, as he moved the box I heard the remote hit the bottom. I was fuming but did not want to cause problems; thinking that if something happened Acer would be responsible anyhow.

As soon as he left I phoned them and stated what had happened and that my tv was perfect outside when he picked it up.

They said that it has nothing to do with them and if I have a problem phone the courier.

I was by this stage very distraught and told them that the tv came with on site warranty that they are not honoring and that they should ring the courier if they want as it is their contractor.

He said the warranty is not valid for on site any more and that they are not responsible etc.

He even said the law is on our side.

Eventually he said lets wait and see if the tv is ok or not etc.

I left it at that for now; but I have never come across such pathetic service; to think I was 90+% happy with the tv and now I may have a damaged unit because I finally decided it is time for the few issues to be fixed.

Has anyone had any similar situations arise; any suggestions of how I should approach it from here?