Behringer CX2310 Active Crossover

I am asking for advice / confirmation as to what I am planning is correct.

If I add something like a Behringer CX2310 as a crossover between my Quad 2905’s and two active sub’s, is the following the correct connection method.

I take two leads, RCA connections out of my existing Pre Amp into the Behringer with XLR connections.

Then from the Behringer I take two leads, XLR connections out of the Behringer in to my Mono Blocks, XLR connections, then feed my Quad’s with the output cut off at around 45 -50 Hz.

At the same time take two leads from the Behringer, XLR connections in to the Sub Amps, RCA connections.

Iam unsure of the connection sequence because I cannot find a clear enough picture of the rear of the Behringer.

Ken

Hi Ken

Yes that is correct. The CX2310 is a stereo 2 way crossover, so from your L/R pair of inputs from your pre, you then get a L/R high output and low output, set at any crossover point you like.

Good luck with this project.

Good Luck Ken, I used a Behringer DCX to show me that my xover 175Hz was too low! When I took it up to 230Hz the clarity of the esl's was improved.

I think you will end up with a crossover much higher than 50Hz, especially if you like your music loud(ish).

Thanks for the response so far.

I would have bought a CX2310 today, but there is none available in Perth.

Is there a major difference in quality between Behringer and DBX. The DBX is more expensive but they are in Stock.

Ken

Thanks for the response so far.

Is there a major difference in quality between Behringer and DBX. The DBX is more expensive but they are in Stock.

Ken

Not really. Maybe some build quality which would make a difference if you were loading in and out of a gig every day, but not for home use. Google it locally (Oz wide) and there will be a store that has one in stock.

Hi Ken, I recently upgraded from a CX2310 to a dbx Driver PA. The major difference is that the more expensive dbx is a digital crossover and thus uses digital signal processsing rather than analog bandpass filtering using op-amp ICs, capacitors and resistors. The actual crossover frequency is not as precise since you rely on the scale on the front panel.

The CX2130 has summing low pass allowing a mono subwoofer output and overall a three-way crossover. If your wanting to try this on the cheap, I am selling my CX2130 for $70 plus postage. PM me if interested.

The Behringer DCX2496 is the equivalent to the dbx driver PA but with computer connectivity.

PS Beware that making up the leads with XLR connectors is more expensive than the cost of the crossover.

For the balanced connector replacement to work with unbalanced, there are adaptors , I bought a set, ended up about $6.50 each included postage from an Ebay website, you have an option of using just adaptors or with fitted cables. I use just adaptors as cables can then be used as part of fine tuning process. Using balanced to unbalanced does get the voltages correct, the Behringer sorts it out.

Thats awesome value.

Hi Ken, I recently upgraded from a CX2310 to a dbx Driver PA. The major difference is that the more expensive dbx is a digital crossover and thus uses digital signal processsing rather than analog bandpass filtering using op-amp ICs, capacitors and resistors. The actual crossover frequency is not as precise since you rely on the scale on the front panel.

The CX2130 has summing low pass allowing a mono subwoofer output and overall a three-way crossover. If your wanting to try this on the cheap, I am selling my CX2130 for $70 plus postage. PM me if interested.

The Behringer DCX2496 is the equivalent to the dbx driver PA but with computer connectivity.

PS Beware that making up the leads with XLR connectors is more expensive than the cost of the crossover.

If the OP has a sufficient number of RCA-RCA leads already, the adaptors on ebay are about 3.50 ea with maybe $6 for postage. Swamp in Canberra sell XLR leads with only one termination for $5 or 6 and professionally made XLR-RCA with Canare cable and Neutriks would be around $25 ea + postage.

Im not superstitious about using extra joins in the cables but have found that some joiners / adapters are a bit loose, and prone to coming apart / not making a great connection. I have had cables made with XLR one end and RCA the other, so that I don't have to use joiners / adapters. I did pay overs for mine, but I was willing to spend the money so I guess thats ok.

Hi Ken, I have PMed you back with details.

As I said in my post it cost me over a $140 for the cable interconnects. I used a 5 x 200W channel HT amp with balanced inputs. So had 10 XLRs for the outputs and 2 XLRs for the inputs. I don't really like using the adapters since it increases contact resistance and making my own allowed for short cables suiting my setup and allowed using reasonable quaility TCW microphone cable. Jaycar isn't that cheap any more, but when your impatient and can't wait for ebay purchases to turn up, ya just get on with it.

If u are serious, The Behringer DCX2496 is the best value digital crossover out there.

I am new to this type of device, what advantage does the DCX 2496 have over the CX 2310.

If it is a major advantage the price difference would be acceptable.

Ken

One thing to know about the CX2310 is that in some systems it raises the noise floor considerably. In my old system (active SGR / Osborn interludes) the noise floor was easily heard from the listening position with was annoying enough for me to take it out of the system.

Yet in LuckyDogs system it was totally silent and seemed to be very transparent.

CX2310 = Analogue, DCX2496 = Digital. DCX allows much greater configuration, but you do have to be careful with level matching to minimise noise & distortion numbers. This takes time and practise. Big plus, DCX can be configured while you listen !