MY IDEAL NEC 50" PLASMA SETTINGS

Hi,

I am getting a NEC tonight (ooooh i am so happy about it) and I was wondering do I need to do any "run in" for plasma's or can I set the pictures settings straight to this tried and tested framework and be happy with it?

Still I am doing to run DVE on it but as a base do I need to run with default settings for a while? I heard I was supposed to run with low brightness or something along those lines?

Thanks.

That's a really good question. I have heard it's best to run at default levels (but you need to go in and check they are set to the individual default settings, rather than just assume this) for the first 200hrs, and some have recommended reducing the brightness and contrast levels during this period as well. I certainly took this advise and the 200 hrs zoomed past.

If I were to do this all over again though, I would probably just switch it to these new settings and leave it. Not sure if that is correct or not though. Perhaps others may be able to comment on this.

By the way, hope you enjoy your NEC. Even still, I am blown away by the colours and PQ, especially so on HD broadcasts. A mate who sells plasmas came over the other night and his assessment is that it is the sharpest, clearest plasma picture he has seen to date. His only worry was that the blacks were not as black as he would like, as seen on the Pana Viera and perhaps the Pioneer. Whether a pro calibration could improve these black levels, I am not sure.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cannot wait until my 100-200 hrs are up (i have heard mixed reports of 100-200 hours).

I seem to be getting a fair bit of image retention (first 10 minutes) but no doubt that will subside a little and it was when switching from xbox dash to black screen and back again to movie so thats "ok" for now :blink:

Playing Ice Age on the big screen while i print off those nice settings SPDF :P

Ice Age, default settings, turned down contrast to 30%ish. Still looks excellent. I must admit though pixelation is fairly annoying up close.

I played about 3 minutes of dragons lair 3d on xbox in 1080i, very very impressed by the PQ of 3d objects. It is truly amazing seeing how sharp everything looks - and still plays fast. I must admit the fps or sync was a little strange though - it wasnt lag but it was just a wierd feeling. Like going from vertical sync on to off (for those pc gamers out there)

And xbox media center in 1080i is a sight. Any object/text that isnt prerendered comes out so sharp.

Apart from obvious burn in if used excessively, i can see the plasma being very useful as a 2nd monitor.

Let me just say extremely happy so far! I just wish i had a tv tuner right now. The missus is watching on an old 60cm no name tv in the living room. Its so frustrating since it is a hd program and if only i had my pay check come in 1 day earlier we would be watching on the big screen! :P

Many thanks to everyone in this forum, you've been a great help in deciding/helping in my endevours!!

• 4 weeks later...

Colour Temp  mid-low

- Gain                    41

- Gain G    43

- Gain B    32

- Bias R    39

- Bias G    35

- Bias B    42

Gamma  2

Low Tone    auto

Colour Tune 

- R              32

- G              32

- B              33

- Y              32

- M              32

- C              33

Well here they are.  This is my birthday gift to all the NEC/Teac forum members.  Hope they do good things for your picture quality.  But remember, they are not a substitute to a professional calibration.  My recommendation is that if you can ever get one done; do it. 

Regards,

Sean.

Thanks heaps for these settings sean...

Installed my NEC today via a Teac DVB800 STB......

My initial thoughts are all good, cant believe the magic PQ etc...

Just a quick noob quesiton for all NEC owners tho... i have been able to implement all seans setitngs except the Gain/Bias settings above...

Found the rest via the advanced menu, under the (4) options pages... just couldnt see the gain/bias ones... anyone clue me up to where to find these????

Cheers Guys

Muttsa

I've got the SD NEC and will put in Sean's settings this week.  I will report back in this thread, for the benefit of other NEC SD plasma owners.

Steve, or anyone else, have you tried Sean's settings with your SD NEC?

I have heard others that have and it works a treat on the SD plasmas as well. Think it's more to do with the screen than the number of pixels, if that makes sense.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have only just changed my settings on my NEC 50XM4W to Seans original settings via LG5100p and DVI cable and found the picture to be on the soft side compared to the standard settings. Still it looks good and I think I will have to watch for a few days to appreciate the change. have now reach 2309 hours after just under 12 months use.

Is there an update to those settings?

Big AL

Does anyone know how to change the Fan settings in the Service Menu of the 50" plasmas? Is it only done by NEC service computer s/w? I would like to try a different setting as the fan is continuous and I thought it was thermatic.

My settings are under these headings:

Fan Mode ENA CONT ENA DIS

Fan OFF/L --- cont up 39

Fan L/M 51 cont time 5

Fan M/H 54 up step ---

SF save --- down step ---

PLE save --- read time ---

T Alarm 80 temp level ---

Ret Time 30

PLE Time ---

T1 32 T2 35 PS read 43

T3 31 T4 --- PSC out 50