Get The Best Reception - Gold Coast

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for theory, it has been used by the DCBCE to produce the results on the DigitalReady website. They cannot measure every housing block in the country!

My results also agree with this.

AlanH

Shyte, I have just caught up with this thread.

I don't believe that the DCBCE would inform that all residents in a particular area will either be ok or not....they simply measure a few random areas and draw a map up from that..plenty of scope for hit n miss.

Proof of point is my location.

To use line of sight, path plots and the lot, your theorey says I am in an area to be served by Mt. Moombil, and the quantified DCBCE readings indicate a good quality signal availabe....even the digital ready site tells me that. I should get it all set up again professionally, prove it don't work again, and then present them with the installers invoice, as the official governmental site told me it would work on terrestrial where I live!!!

I debunked this theory by discussing my locations with broadcastaustralia, as well as by an authorised antenna installer doing measurements on site.

I am now a migrated from Aurora to VAST user, and no solid useable reliable signal will get me terrestrial to a user friendly level.

I can go 350 metres down the road, and use rabbit ears for reception.

You simply cannot use bearings and terrain to work out that you will be ok or not...in fact I got best digital terrestrial using a phased array antenna, pointing 90-100 degrees bouncing off of a mountain. This is why these pro blokes say that if you are in those situations, get some help. In real terms, the private have a go bloke looking to do a self install is likely to spend more money buying the wrong gear, using trial and eroor at a monetary cost for now useless junk, and would have saved his / her dosh getting expert advice or installation in the first instance.

I'm all for you offering advice, but tell people where you are, what your basing your assumptions on, guiding them to "roughtimates" or "whatifs" in a perfect environment of where to point and which possible antennas. But you must qualify this by saying local conditions could prove different at your particular residence...

On no....

• 1 month later...

I hooked up a new Panasonic Blu-Ray HDD Recorder (DMR-BWT700) for a friend in Burleigh yesterday, but cant get a decent picture on ABC channels.

Signal strength on the Pana shows as 8 or 9 for all channels including ABC, with 'Quality' at similar levels for all, but only about 4 for the ABC ones.

He had a new aerial installed last year and ABC shows ok on his cheap AWA LCD TV with cable running through the Pana.

'Quality' signal level is low on the AWA also, but picture is acceptable.

Any suggestions on GC aerial installers who know what they are doing please?

Hello RMF

Without noting the actual address, does your friend in Burleigh live between the Gold Coast Hwy and the national park anywhere near George St east?

This is a known tricky area.

Unfortunately at Mt Tamborine, the ABC are the lowest power transmitter serving the Gold Coast.

No installer suggestions sorry.

James

Hello RMF

Without noting the actual address, does your friend in Burleigh live between the Gold Coast Hwy and the national park anywhere near George St east?

This is a known tricky area.

Unfortunately at Mt Tamborine, the ABC are the lowest power transmitter serving the Gold Coast.

No installer suggestions sorry.

James

Thanks for your reply James, he is just off Mattocks Rd, near Reedy Creek Rd, Burleigh Waters.

Edited by RMF

I hooked up a new Panasonic Blu-Ray HDD Recorder (DMR-BWT700) for a friend in Burleigh yesterday, but cant get a decent picture on ABC channels.

Signal strength on the Pana shows as 8 or 9 for all channels including ABC, with 'Quality' at similar levels for all, but only about 4 for the ABC ones.

He had a new aerial installed last year and ABC shows ok on his cheap AWA LCD TV with cable running through the Pana.

Hi RMF,

Some recent Panasonic Blue- Ray HDD Recorder gadgets don't like too much signal input to them, I've had one or two that are not happy if the signal is over 70db , this may be something to consider before you call in an installer as you said your tv its self is ok. An in line 10 or 20db attenuater from your friendly smiling man electronics shop should have one or even a variable one for a few bucks. Just trying to save you a $. Otherwise the man with the digital meter to check your signal quality is the way to go . good luck. TAZZY.

Thanks for your reply James, he is just off Mattocks Rd, near Reedy Creek Rd, Burleigh Waters.

Hi RMF

That area generally has a good view of both Tamborine and Springbrook.

The nearest I have been to Mattocks Rd is Ferndahl Drive on the other side of the lake, levels there were low 70dBuV for all except ABC which was around 66dBuV from Tamborine.

Assuming Tazzy2Heads advice is good with Panasonic Recorders, your levels might be within the problem zone he describes.

(Personally if I had a unit that could not cope with 70dBuV I'd consider it faulty and take it back. Note I am not saying the Panasonic is your problem.)

James

Edited by James T Kirk

Hi RMF

That area generally has a good view of both Tamborine and Springbrook.

The nearest I have been to Mattocks Rd is Ferndahl Drive on the other side of the lake, levels there were low 70dBuV for all except ABC which was around 66dBuV from Tamborine.

Assuming Tazzy2Heads advice is good with Panasonic Recorders, your levels might be within the problem zone he describes.

(Personally if I had a unit that could not cope with 70dBuV I'd consider it faulty and take it back. Note I am not saying the Panasonic is your problem.)

James

Hi Guys,

The Panasonic Recorders I was referring to were sold either side of Xmas in Tas by the usual discount mob on special deal and quite a few moved about my area. Sorry I don't remember the model . I have heard that Panasonic was aware of the overloading problem and there after sales fix was an attenuator in the antenna input to recorder .I don't know this as gospel , only trade talk from our friendly 'L' sales rep. As I said it worked for me ,and they work well on poor signals levels as is, its only overly strong signals that seem to cause the grief.By the way I should have been more specific I'm talking Band 3 signals , may not be an issue on UHF or with the model you have up there. It was just a hint that it might be the problem if there was a masthead amp on the system concerned. Anyway I'm sure you'll sort it. Good luck Tazzy.

Hi Guys,

The Panasonic Recorders I was referring to were sold either side of Xmas in Tas by the usual discount mob on special deal and quite a few moved about my area. Sorry I don't remember the model . I have heard that Panasonic was aware of the overloading problem and there after sales fix was an attenuator in the antenna input to recorder .I don't know this as gospel , only trade talk from our friendly 'L' sales rep. As I said it worked for me ,and they work well on poor signals levels as is, its only overly strong signals that seem to cause the grief.By the way I should have been more specific I'm talking Band 3 signals , may not be an issue on UHF or with the model you have up there. It was just a hint that it might be the problem if there was a masthead amp on the system concerned. Anyway I'm sure you'll sort it. Good luck Tazzy.

I've seen this exact issue with Panna recorders a few times.

They have a very 'selective' operating window for signal level/quality.

Typically, it's strong adjacent channels that cause the most problems.

Panasonic bombed on last years recorders. The single tuners needed more than 50dB to function effectively the twin tuners needed less than 50dB. All other panasonic television products as far as I'm aware were excellent. This fault has caused many a installer no end of annoyance.

If the recorder is bypassed, and the antenna lead plugged directly into the AWA, does the quality level for the ABC still show as low?

Is it lower than for the other channels by a significant amount?

The quality level on these TV's is an indication of the signal after the first level of error correction on the incoming digital signal is performed, so while only a guide, if it is around the 50% mark, I would suggest the signal is very close to failure.

In that case:

No, but you may be able to find a suitable one for your friend's area from this list:

Endorsed antenna installers.

Edited by M'bozo

Spot on MTV, WIN TV channel 6 ANOLOGUE, WIN TV channel 7 DIGITAL , let alone a whacking ABC BAND ONE ANOLOGUE CH 2 signal in VAN DIEMANS LAND. hi hi 73,s (theres a clue) Tazzy.

Thanks for all your replies.

I guess ABC was borderline before, but was just ok for the AWA tuner.

Looking at the levels for Signal and Quality, they are the same whether the lead is plugged directly into the AWA or through the Pana.

All channels, Ten, SBS, 7, 9, SC10, Prime or NBN all have Signal levels of about 9 with Quality levels of 8 or 9.

It is only the ABC ones that have have Signal levels of about 9 and Quality of 4.

Thanks for all your replies.

I guess ABC was borderline before, but was just ok for the AWA tuner.

Looking at the levels for Signal and Quality, they are the same whether the lead is plugged directly into the AWA or through the Pana.

All channels, Ten, SBS, 7, 9, SC10, Prime or NBN all have Signal levels of about 9 with Quality levels of 8 or 9.

It is only the ABC ones that have have Signal levels of about 9 and Quality of 4.

Hi RMF,

Are the signal levels you quote from the TV TUNER or the RECORDER TUNER ?

Tazzy.

Hi RMF,

Are the signal levels you quote from the TV TUNER or the RECORDER TUNER ?

Tazzy.

Sorry, silly question should have looked further back in the earlier posts, (it is late)

If the roof is not too steep you could try turning the antenna a few degrees left or right or raising or lowering it a few cm's while your friend watches the signal quality bar from the recorder with it tuned to the ABC signal. Other than bypassing any splitters in line with a F coupling and or pulling off the wall plate concerned to see if it's an F connector type and not saddle and clamp type and that you have a Quad shield cables there is not much the DIY person can do. You need an installer with a digital meter suitable for single frequency networks to sort it all out from antenna alignment down to what is coming out of the end of the antenna flylead. I would ask the neighbours if they are having any signal grief and if they can recommend any local installers if there pictures are ok. If the same name comes up a few times he's probably your man. I wouldn't worry too much if he's not on the accredited installers list , there are plenty of good ones that haven't got around to it yet. The exam is a bit of a joke anyway I think, the one the computor spat out for me was more of a reading test than any thing else, no real questions on antenna installation at all from what I remember. Anyway enough on that. Go carefully , good luck Tazzy

Hi I live just around the corner in Bonogin.

I can fix it for you.

Call me 0403 808 434

Les

Thanks Les, but after all that it just turned out to be a bad aerial lead from the wall to Pana.

Worked ok for TV tuner as i guess it is more forgiving than tuner in the Panasonic. Strange it only affected ABC channels though.

But all good now, thanks.

Thanks Les, but after all that it just turned out to be a bad aerial lead from the wall to Pana.

Worked ok for TV tuner as i guess it is more forgiving than tuner in the Panasonic. Strange it only affected ABC channels though.

But all good now, thanks.

Hi RMF,

Glad to hear you got that sorted ok, thats why we have expensive meters to see which of the 25 possible things are wrong with customers systems when they all usually have the same symptoms, no signal or bad signal.

One possible reason it mainly affected the ABC signal could be the fault made a bit of a notch filter and it cut the ABC signal only and didn't worry the other channels , all tied up with what the fault was , the frequency of the signal concerned and how long the cables are and how far down the cable the fault is ,

I've seen it before a couple of times. I give up , go carefully, Tazzy.

Hi all,

We're in Labrador and having a bit of a problem with ABC reception, particularly during the 7pm news. Most nights we get 3 or 4 episodes of lost signal which last for a couple of seconds, sometimes a bit longer. Doesn't seem to happen much later on in the evening and haven't seen it on any of the commercial channels on the rare occasions that we stray into their domains.

Anyone else noticed this?

Cheers

Mike

Hi all,

We're in Labrador and having a bit of a problem with ABC reception, particularly during the 7pm news. Most nights we get 3 or 4 episodes of lost signal which last for a couple of seconds, sometimes a bit longer. Doesn't seem to happen much later on in the evening and haven't seen it on any of the commercial channels on the rare occasions that we stray into their domains.

Cheers

Mike

Which transmission site is your antenna pointed at?

Your area may receive transmissions from more than one transmission site on a Single Frequency Network which can cause interference issues if you receive strong signals from more than one TX site.

Ideally, you need an antenna installer with the appropriate meter to measure the SFN channels and optimise the antenna position for the best TX site.

Which transmission site is your antenna pointed at?

Your area may receive transmissions from more than one transmission site on a Single Frequency Network which can cause interference issues if you receive strong signals from more than one TX site.

Ideally, you need an antenna installer with the appropriate meter to measure the SFN channels and optimise the antenna position for the best TX site.

Hi MTV,

I have no idea which site we are pointed at, and it's a bit moot as we are in a Body Corporate situation with no control over the antenna.

I'm certainly no expert in this area but I don't think it's an interference problem as there is absolutely no pixelation or break up of the picture - it just suddenly drops out and we get a little message on the screen saying "no signal". Lasts for a few seconds then the picture is back. It doesn't happen all the time - just during the news, and not every night.

It's not a big enough annoyance to warrant getting in an installer (even if we could), I was just curious to see if anyone else in the area was seeing the same thing.

Cheers

Mike

Hi MTV,

I have no idea which site we are pointed at, and it's a bit moot as we are in a Body Corporate situation with no control over the antenna.

I'm certainly no expert in this area but I don't think it's an interference problem as there is absolutely no pixelation or break up of the picture - it just suddenly drops out and we get a little message on the screen saying "no signal". Lasts for a few seconds then the picture is back. It doesn't happen all the time - just during the news, and not every night.

It's not a big enough annoyance to warrant getting in an installer (even if we could), I was just curious to see if anyone else in the area was seeing the same thing.

Cheers

Mike

Mike,

Interference can cause sudden total loss of digital reception.

There's a very fine line between reliable reception, pixelation/break-up and no reception, so you don't neccessarily get the break-up step in-between great and nothing.

Perhaps your ABC signals are a bit lower than the others and slight variations have a greater impact when levels drop a bit.

It could even be electrical impulse noise from someone turning something on/off around that time.

Almost impossible to diagnose without being there and obtaining accurate signal measurements.

Hi all,

Cheers

Mike

You dont happen to live in Lumière do you? Ive tuned a couple of friends TV's there and ABC has been a problem.

I also found that all the Brisbane frequencies are being picked up as well as the Tamborine ones, so they have to be deleted as the quality is poor.

Any channel that tunes in below SBS 585.50 is a Brisbane channel.

If you need help. let me know.

• 3 months later...

I have recently moved to Pacific Pines and after the antenna man installed a new antenna and booster I have excellent reception.... sometimes...

We find that just about every night we lose digital reception completely and analogue gets pretty bad. I think its some sort of interference but not sure what it could be or how to fix it. Does anyone have suggestions?

It happens at a different time so its not a pool pump or anything on a timer. It seems like somone is getting home and turning something on.

I need help because it happens every night so I cant watch tv at all.