Get The Best Reception - Gold Coast

Little help for the very ignorant please !!

At varsity lakes

Just bought a DTV 1000S

after scanning for channels with bunny ears- got nuttin

got the sparky to put an antenna plug in the wall and after scanning all 3 subdivisions of the gold coast, at both slow and fast, as well as brisvegas the only channel I located was SBS.

Heartbreaking- where do I need to go to get 10,9 etc.

Please type slowly as I will barely understand your responses.

many thanks

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Prankster

Check if you can get analogue working well on your antenna plug in the wall, if not, then your sparky has not helped you much.

Getting an electrician to install your tv aerial connection may not be a good plan. It may be time to get an antenna installer in.

Cheers

James

analog is fine on TV but the DTV1000s only gets digital anyway.

The fact I can get SBS on digital means I should be able to get the rest.

Alas my ignorance stops me achieving same.

HELP

prankster,

A lot of users have problems with the DTV1000s, which requires virtually perfect digital signals to work and even then, there have been reported compatibility issues.

Without knowing accurate signal strength and quality readings, it's impossible to tell if it's your antenna/cabling, the tuner card, or a combination of both, however, given the performance history of this card, I would suspect it to be the main problem.

If you can test a set top box connected to the roof antenna, there's a good chance it will work.

ALL tuner cards/USB tuners generally require higher strength/quality digital signals than STB receivers to provide reliable reception.

If you really want a tuner card, have a look at the Digital Now devices.

prankster,

A lot of users have problems with the DTV1000s, which requires virtually perfect digital signals to work and even then, there have been reported compatibility issues.

Without knowing accurate signal strength and quality readings, it's impossible to tell if it's your antenna/cabling, the tuner card, or a combination of both, however, given the performance history of this card, I would suspect it to be the main problem.

If you can test a set top box connected to the roof antenna, there's a good chance it will work.

ALL tuner cards/USB tuners generally require higher strength/quality digital signals than STB receivers to provide reliable reception.

If you really want a tuner card, have a look at the Digital Now devices.

My concern is - that if I am able to scan and get a flawless reception on SBS why can't I locate 9 or 10 etc via the same scanning process ?

As I explained, those cards often have poor performance.

You MUST ensure the digital signals going into it are excellent, to give it any chance of working on all channels, as they all vary in frequency, forward error correction and guard interval, so you just can't compare one channel's signal with others.

Your antenna may also be picking up signals from more than one transmitter, operating on the same frequency (single frequency network) which can cause interference issues with the digital signal, making decoding difficult.

The simplest way to check if it's a card or signal issue is to test a STB on the antenna outlet, as I recommended.

Alternatively, have a pro antenna installer test your signals with a digital field strength meter and provide you with the figures for ALL channels/frequencies of digital channel power (in dBuV) signal quality (ch BER) Also measurements of all analogue signals, including FM radio should also be obtained. Then post the figures here and I can then tell you if your signals are adequate.

However, as I mentioned, even with perfect signals, some card-type receivers simply just don't work well at all.

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Not sure where to ask this (so sorry if in wrong area)

Just moved up here & living in Kirra / Bilinga in a unit block. Using my telly in bedroom with no external antenna so need to use an indoor one with amp. Cannot recieve any channels on analogue with it on either my dvd recorder or dig telly (even rabbit ears wont work for analogue) Cannot pick up all dig channels with it either, without having to move the thing each time I change the channel.

Question is what sort of indoor antenna can I use / buy that will work? the one i have now was 80 odd bucks.

Any help please....

Edited by tasdevil07

tasdevil07 ,

Read the first post in this strand. In the Gold Coast there is Currumbin, Mt Tambourine and Bilbrough Lookout SPRINGBROOK. The first and last site need the antenna on its side. Click on the underlined heading of Indoor antenna for recommendations for the best indoor antennas.

AlanH

• 5 months later...

Hi, i've searched google and haven't been able to find an answer, so i thought i would ask here. Anyway, i bought a TEAC SDB451 set top box last Friday and it picked up channels 7, 9, SC10, 10, SBS, SBS News perfectly, but ABC1 & 2 had a low quality signal and were flickering a bit. Now when i put it on ABC1 or 2 it says "No signal" or "Service Scrambled". I was just wondering whether this is a problem with the set-top box, transmission issues or an antenna issue. Also, i live in a block of townhouses which uses a Master Antenna System and analouge ABC has normal reception.

Any assistance is appreciated.

Older,

You have a standard definition box so you cannot decode HD signals such as #0, eg 20, 30, 70 but not 10 which is 1 or 12.

I need to know if the building antenna is pointed at Mt Tambourine, Albany Av Currumbin or Springbrook.

It may be that your MATV antenna system is not designed to carry the channels as shown in the transmitter link in the first post of this strand.

AlanH

Guest alansa14

Hi, I live in lower Highland Park and for 6 years have been receiving reception from Currumbin only because there is a neigbours tree blocking a direct transmission from Tamborine. I have a standard aerial with a masthead amplifier and my analogue reception is ok and HD through my LG HD LST-6100P set topbox which on good days is acceptable, windy and raining days forget it! There are also major power lines running across my reception line of sight. I am going to have a antenna technican come and upgrade my antenna and anything else I need but I would like to know would it be possible to have a dedicated antenna just to pickup HD only reception from Springbrook as I have a clear view of this repeater and leave my old antenna for analogue (VCR recording).

Thanks,

alansa14

alansa,

There is no analog repeaters at Springbook. All digital repeaters will carry all SD, and any HD signals if present. Since you have line of sight to these repeaters, I would get a phased array antenna on its side, if necessary either put the signal through a UV diplexer (using the U input only) to remove power line interference or a band 5 masthead amplifier depending on the signal strength.

It is wise to get an antenna installer who can measure the signal strength and the data error rates.

You are better off removing the old installation and use an an additional HD Set top box for any analog equipment. The reason for the HD box in this case is to be able to select all programs, the box will output its signal to the yellow, white & red sockets so that the VCR can record it in normal analog.

Just a warning, that VCRs have disappeared from the shops and cassettes are becoming increasingly hard to find. You may be better off looking for a Personal Video Recorder (PVR) which can record on its own internal hard disk.

AlanH

Hi, I live in lower Highland Park and for 6 years have been receiving reception from Currumbin only because there is a neigbours tree blocking a direct transmission from Tamborine. I have a standard aerial with a masthead amplifier and my analogue reception is ok and HD through my LG HD LST-6100P set topbox which on good days is acceptable, windy and raining days forget it! There are also major power lines running across my reception line of sight. I am going to have a antenna technican come and upgrade my antenna and anything else I need but I would like to know would it be possible to have a dedicated antenna just to pickup HD only reception from Springbrook as I have a clear view of this repeater and leave my old antenna for analogue (VCR recording).

Thanks,

alansa14

You call install a seperate system to receive digital only off Springbrook, Call Les at www.SwitchOntoDigitalTV.com.au on 0403 808 434 he will give you good advise on the phone and give a free signal test and quote. He lives in Mudgeeraba and services most of the Gold Coast.

Just a warning, that VCRs have disappeared from the shops and cassettes are becoming increasingly hard to find. You may be better off looking for a Personal Video Recorder (PVR) which can record on its own internal hard disk.

Just as a heads-up, that LG 'seconds' store at Helensvale has a stack of PVRs of all sorts, including HD ones, starting at around $200. There's lots of DVD recorders and VCRs as well, many of the former having hard drives and SD tuners. I have no idea what the quality or history of the units is, but they have a pretty big pile and have a sale on right now as well. Anyone had any experience with them?

If you haven't seen it, it's right outside Westfield's south-west corner, on Millaroo Dve, where the lights are at the junction with Town Centre Dve.

• 1 month later...
analog is fine on TV but the DTV1000s only gets digital anyway.

The fact I can get SBS on digital means I should be able to get the rest.

Alas my ignorance stops me achieving same.

HELP

Prankster,

I got the same thing... 5 Channels of digital SBS (on 36) and nothing else...??

Did you ever get yours sorted ?

• 1 month later...
I got the same thing... 5 Channels of digital SBS (on 36) and nothing else...??

I don't know about the 1000S, but on the 1000T that's a classic symptom of using older drivers. Sometimes it's also caused by not removing the old drivers properly before installing the new, or by only partially installing the new ones (as there are 4 components in device manager). It can also happen if Winfast PVR2 has had a major crash, sometimes re-installing it can help. There's been a lot of new versions of it as well.

Check around, the latest ones aren't always available on the Leadtek site, or if they are, they're sometimes labelled incorrectly. For example, the one marked as the latest Vista32 drivers for the 1000T are also the latest working drivers for XP, but on Leadtek's site they list the older driver for XP.

Looking at the Leadtek site I'm not sure the above is an issue for you. However, if you installed the drivers from the disc that shipped with the card I'm willing to bet you have an old version. Also be aware that the 1000S has a pretty weak tuner and there are large parts of the Gold Coast where you'll get poor or no reception.

Try these sites...

http://www.lhsite.hu/news.php

http://tv-cards.com/

and of course

http://www.leadtek.com.tw/eng/tv_tuner/dow...eid=6&act=3

• 3 weeks later...
You should receive prime, how are the other channels.

I did a job in nineteenth Ave and they received all channels SBS, SC10, Seven, Ten, Nine, ABC, Prime and Nbn.

I live just off nineteenth ave. I get all channels except prime (do get analogue prime tho). NBN signal is a bit weak but watchable. I'm moving unit next weekend which is only round the corner so i'll see how it goes there.

• 2 weeks later...

I have just moved from Brisbane to Broadbeach Waters (Gold Coast) and have set up my Beyonwiz STB. I have noticed that the quality of picture for my HD channels (NBN, Prime, 7HD, 9HD, One HD) are quite ordinary in comparison with what i would previously get in Brisbane. Is the Gold Coast stations broadcasting 1080i yet or is it just upscaled SD.

• 1 month later...

I live on the southern outskirts of Brisbane at Waterford West. I can receive reasoable analogue pictures from Prime NBN SBS & Nine GC & poor pictures from SC10. Since purchasing DGTEC HD-5210 STB I can receive great pictures from SC10 & Nine GC but no reception from Prime or NBN. Can anyone help?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I live on the southern outskirts of Brisbane at Waterford West. I can receive reasoable analogue pictures from Prime NBN SBS & Nine GC & poor pictures from SC10. Since purchasing DGTEC HD-5210 STB I can receive great pictures from SC10 & Nine GC but no reception from Prime or NBN. Can anyone help?

I'd say you're lucky to have any reception of the NSW stations at all. I'm actually surprised you get any signal from the Gold Coast transmitters there, we have enough trouble in the intended footprint area. Which transmitter is your antenna aimed at and with what polarisation?

I believe my problem will be solved this week. I've been told the reason that can't receive PRIME & NBN on dtv is because they are on the same frequency as Channel 7 Brisbane & Channel 9 Brisbane and my current HD STB can't tell the difference. So I'm waiting for a new HD STB to come in, it's under the brand name of Healing. The person who gets them in has guaranteed me these boxes have the software to tell the difference between PRIME GC & Seven Brisbane and NBN & Nine Brisbane. By the way everyone is surprised that I can get GC reception including antenna installers. There is a fair chance that I'm getting my reception from a reflection. The antenna is aimed at Mt Tamborine with horozontal polarisation.