REMINDER: Daylight Savings

Near the summer solstice its light before 5am and you can still read a book at 6:45-7pm where I live. I don't know what time you get home from work, but 5-6pm covers most people! I really don't need it to be daylight until 8-9pm. Its really hard on my curtains., not only that it also causes discomfort to the cows due to the extra heat. When QLD tried daylight savings farmers had to rush out and install giant fans in the paddocks to keep the cows cool. If you look, you can still seem them today - made by the southern cross company I believe :blink:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Near the summer solstice its light before 5am and you can still read a book at 6:45-7pm where I live.  I don't know what time you get home from work, but 5-6pm covers most people!  I really don't need it to be daylight until 8-9pm.  Its really hard on my curtains., not only that it also causes discomfort to the cows due to the extra heat.  When QLD tried daylight savings farmers had to rush out and install giant fans in the paddocks to keep the cows cool.  If you look, you can still seem them today - made by the southern cross company I believe  :blink:

My point exactly, at 5am most people are still fast asleep. Depends on routine I suppose :P Here, near the solstice the sun rises at about 6am and the sun won't set until well after 9pm.

OK, personally I'm not a big fan of daylight saving myself but I'm afraid in Victoria we are stuck with it.

In regards to the cows I hope you're not being serious! The only fans I see around here are the ones they use to stop the damage to vine shoots from late frosts in spring.

Oh, and before QLD'ers start bragging about your famous Sunshine spare a thought. There are parts of North-West Victoria that receive more sunshine each year than The Gold Coast and that is fact.

Ciao :P

I also noticed the terrible quality on WIN, my god they must be using really old analogue tape or something so they can timeshift their programs.

I know that a professional digital timeshifting device(or similar) may cost quite a bit of money, but its quite ironic that many consumers can timeshift with perfect digital quality using PVR's such as the Toppy and Strong's.

In fact on some of the Picture quality I have seen so far, I think my 10 year old VHS machine could do about the same job, maybe even better in some cases :blink:

Well it is good to know that every other channels seem to be doing a great job, especially TDT with the proper programming promo lables, and even Southern Cross must have to do a bit to work around the different time zones.

Maybe we could write to WIN Television and get them to buy a Toppy!

Now, I have one complaint about TDT, earlier tonight I saw an ad for Neighbours, it was one of the type of ads that Southern Cross shows, with the voiceover sounding completely uninterested, doesn't tell us anything and was advertising stuff which happened months ago on Neighbours. Those promos really, really annoy me because you can tell the bloke doesn't watch the program and is just reading a script and couldn't care whether you watch it or not.

Southern Cross do these promos for Neighbours, Home and Away and Law and Order. They really get my goat.

Also, I think around the summer solstice, the sun rises about 4am AEST (5am AEDT) and sets about 8pm AEST (9pm AEDT) but often it can be light from about 4:30 am to 10pm AEDT. Great for street cricket, until bad light stops play about 9:30, then the football comes out because it's bigger!

I agree with you on those promos Ando, really silly having an ad that gives you no worthwhile information!. It makes me think its probably a cost saving exercise instead of editing up ads for the shows for each episode.

Also of interest to Daylight Savings, it seems the ABC HDTV (or what we should really call EDTV) is just redirected to the normal SD channel. Most likely due to the fact that they dont want to run a specific HDTV stream for Tasmania for a few weeks.

That's interesting dfp, I was wondering this afternoon what would be happening on ABC HD (ED), I just hadn't checked it out yet. I thought it might have just been running on AEST, although would this be a problem with multichanneling then?

I also saw a Real Estate thing on TDT tonight "Welcome to The Real Estate Guide available only on Tasmanian Digital Television" or similar.

I agree with you on those promos Ando, really silly having an ad that gives you no worthwhile information!. It makes me think its probably a cost saving exercise instead of editing up ads for the shows for each episode.

Also of interest to Daylight Savings, it seems the ABC HDTV (or what we should really call EDTV) is just redirected to the normal SD channel. Most likely due to the fact that they dont want to run a specific HDTV stream for Tasmania for a few weeks.

The ABC is not able to do a specific HD stream for TAS in TAS time at the moment, due to there only being one set of HD transmisison encoders across the whole ABC. And as Sydney is the ABC network hub, the HD encoders live in Sydney and switch/encode in Sydney time. Added to that, there is no spare transmission line capacity at the ABC to send a separate HD stream to TAS in TAS time on the ABC DVN, and then delay that HD stream in Sydney for the *live* eastern states netowrk. And as it stands, all of Sydney's three ABCTV continuity SD suites are flat out doing SD for TAS, NETWORK/NSW and ABC2. One day the madness will end when NSW/VIC/ACT/SA eventually catch up and start daylight savings when TAS and NZ start, being the first week in Ocober. Coming out of daylight saving will be different this year due to the Commonwealth games with daylight saving being extended in some states and not others, utter, utter madness.

ct

The ABC is not able to do a specific HD stream for TAS in TAS time at the moment, due to there only being one set of HD transmisison encoders across the whole ABC. And as Sydney is the ABC network hub, the HD encoders live in Sydney and switch/encode in Sydney time. Added to that, there is no spare transmission line capacity at the ABC to send a separate HD stream to TAS in TAS time on the ABC DVN, and then delay that HD stream in Sydney for the *live* eastern states netowrk. And as it stands, all of Sydney's three ABCTV continuity SD suites are flat out doing SD for TAS, NETWORK/NSW and ABC2. One day the madness will end when NSW/VIC/ACT/SA eventually catch up and start daylight savings when TAS and NZ start, being the first week in Ocober. Coming out of daylight saving will be different this year due to the Commonwealth games with daylight saving being extended in some states and not others, utter, utter madness.

ct

Does this mean when Daylight Saving starts in Sydney, ABC HD in QLD will be an hour ahead of ABC1? Because if they turn off ABC HD for a few months in QLD, they wont be able to reach their HD quota.

Stickeylabel,

• 11 months later...

Well that time of the year for 2006 and it looks like TDT maybe going to not bother doing the individual promos this year for time changes possibly. They have started a promo to inform viewers the advertised times will be out by one hour.

Capped by 2dseven over at mediaspy forums:

TDT Daylight Savings Announcement

Well if the other states eventually change their Daylight Savings to suit this time of year for Tasmanian TV may become a thing of the past.

Well that time of the year for 2006 and it looks like TDT maybe going to not bother doing the individual promos this year for time changes possibly. They have started a promo to inform viewers the advertised times will be out by one hour.

Capped by 2dseven over at mediaspy forums:

TDT Daylight Savings Announcement

Well if the other states eventually change their Daylight Savings to suit this time of year for Tasmanian TV may become a thing of the past.

I saw that ad tonight too, it will be strange if they don't do anything to the promos at all since in the first year they added a note and last year they changed the times on all the promos.

I just know I'm going to stuff up all my scheduled recordings.... :blink:

lolz I know that feeling well :D the reason the 2 headed tasmanians start a month earlier is so the extra head gets that extra sunshine .... I'm from WA, and now live in tas (yer yer yer I know poor me :P ) . However if all you guys only had a light globe in the sky like tasmania you too would want it on for an extra hour :P

Does this mean when Daylight Saving starts in Sydney, ABC HD in QLD will be an hour ahead of ABC1? Because if they turn off ABC HD for a few months in QLD, they wont be able to reach their HD quota.

Stickeylabel,

No, the National ABC HD service is time zone delayed for states like QLD/SA/NT and WA, thus meaning QLD will get HD even when NSW goes to daylight saving, on a 1 hour delay, meaning it will be in sync with the main ABC SD network in QLD. It is impossible to do HD for TAS as TAS goes 1 hour ahead of NSW. Added to that, there is no way the ABC can do the National ABC signal 1 hour in advance so as to match up with TAS and then time delay for NSW and everyone else as there is no spare bandwith on the outgoing ABC DVN from Sydney to send out a second live HD feed to TAS whilst at the same time sending out the time delayed HD signal for every other state.

i certainly don't 'save' anything from daylight savings (the month until the mainland catched up) - i seem to lose more i.e. sleep as shows are an hour later, plus the hour of sleep lost on the first saturday night!

I was told the purpose of Daylight Savings is to get less people on the road when it's dark, so there are less accidents, without it, some states it would still be dark when driving to or from work.

Makes sense.

All,

In summer Tasmania becomes the earliest time in Australia. This would mean that all programs would have to be produced in Tasmanian time and delayed for all other places. The ABC tried this in radio when Tasmanian daylight saving was started. I think they must have had a staff revolt in Sydney. What get up an hour earlier!

So unless some briliant Tasmanian can invent a negative time machine....

The premiers are looking at making all daylight saving start on the same day. This would solve this problem

AlanH

howzitgoin88,

Since you live in Wynard, could you tell me if Southern Cross is on analog on channel 39 as well as channel 5A?

All the antenna elements (crosspieces) are approximately the same short length.

Channel 5A elements are around 1 m total length.

Thanks,

AlanH

howzitgoin88,

Since you live in Wynard, could you tell me if Southern Cross is on analog on channel 39 as well as channel 5A?

All the antenna elements (crosspieces) are approximately the same short length.

Channel 5A elements are around 1 m total length.

Thanks,

AlanH

Alan

Southern Cross VHF 5A is still being transmitted here along with UHF 39! Aggregation in the early 90's was to eliminate this channel, but its still on Air :blink:

Southern Cross 10 is also being co-transmitted from Round Hill!