Foxtel digital

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Foxtel satellite is already digital, and the cable is being changed to digital also. The service itself will be rebranded "Foxtel Digital". Satellite and Cable users will get a new STB.

not quite correct....

The digital signal beamed from the satellite is collected by the satellite dish and sent to the FOXTEL decoder. The decoder incorporates a Smartcard to decode the incoming digital signal and then converts it into an analogue signal that can be viewed on a standard television.

and then converts it into an analogue signal that can be viewed on a standard television

Yeppe dunbro

Found someone that understand digital satellite tv...how many keep saying "but its already digital " :blink:

anyway dunbro unless the stb has component out or dvi its usless for a display that can handle sd/hd signals and s-video is not one of them

cheers laurie

So Laurie are you saying that Foxtel will have to replace every STB when digital TV is released in March 04 seeing that none of their boxes have those connectors? Hah that will cost them a bit of money...

hmmm sry guys but i just can't see the difference between "scart to s-video" and "s-video to s-video" on foxtel. its not my eyes because i can see the difference between channel 9's HDTV and channel 7's cheap imitation on their loops (576p is substandard compared to 1080i).

btw i'm using the hitachi pd32-a3000 hi-def plasma tv with foxtel satellite set-top box and a dgtec dh-2000a HD box.

Having done a direct comparison now, I'd have to agree with you Dunbro. Back to the s-video out for me!

So Laurie are you saying that Foxtel will have to replace every STB when digital TV is released in March 04 seeing that none of their boxes have those connectors? Hah that will cost them a bit of money...

dunbro

This question Foxtel cannot even answer depends how you define SD! I prefer to have the highest video siginal out which at present is DVI the next is component like on a HD STB / dvd player now that will allow plasmas and projectors to get a fantastic picture my HD pictures on my Sony projector is just awesome :blink::P

There was a press release on the Foxtel website a few months ago. Mentioned that new STB's would be sourced from UK company Pace. it did provide a web link however site is still under construction.

blairy

Found someone that understand digital satellite tv...how many keep saying "but its already digital " 

anyway dunbro unless the stb has component out or dvi its usless for a display that can handle sd/hd signals and s-video is not one of them

Foxtel/Austar satellite is already digital. The statement still stands.

Laurie, I am not sure what you are getting at here, but not even a free to air digital TV receiver is aviable in Australia that has a DVI output, so according to your reckoning, this whole forum isn't even discussing digital TV!

Regardless of what type of video output a STB has, its still a digital receiver, even if it only has an analogue output such as Composite/RGB/S-Video or Component.

Expecting Foxtel to have a STB that does DVI output on a SD box is like trying to get blood from a stone, its not gunna happen.

I have seen the new Foxtel box, it has Composite, S-Video and RGB SCART outputs, no component sorry.

I too would love to see DVI (Preferably HDMI).

Danny.

Foxtel/Austar satellite is already digital. The statement still stands.

Laurie, I am not sure what you are getting at here

Yes that's correct the FRONT end is digital but the output is NOT! now if the box had dvi output it will be digital all the way to the display so the next best display connection is component there is no way in the world I would have got a HD STB [Toshi] if it didn't have component output, the difference between it and s-video on my 150" pj screen is very noticable ok if you have a 68cm set the difference is not that noticeable but with sales of pj/plasmas/rptv on the increase having this type of connection is usefull and I even noticed more and more AV amps have switching for component connections and now Pioneer & Sony have DVI switching also on their amps expect the new Toshiba LCOS to have dvi inputs like my pc 17" lcd display

cheers laurie

If you're in Melbourne and don't want to use a scart/svid adapter the only place I could find that sells the cables is encel stereo. Searched long and hard to find those!

PS: Scart to Svideo needs to be directional because of the number of scart cables, don't buy the Jaycar ones because they run in the wrong direction!

Danny, where can one see the new Foxtel STB? Any details on specs etc available?

Blairy, More info and a picture on the UEC site :-

http://www.uec.co.za/sa/products/DSD1000.htm

This is the box they will be using.

Yes that's correct the FRONT end is digital but the output is NOT! now if the box had dvi output it will be digital all the way to the display so the next best display connection is component there is no way in the world I would have got a HD STB [Toshi] if it didn't have component output, the difference between it and s-video on my 150" pj screen is very noticable ok if you have a 68cm set the difference is not that noticeable but with sales of pj/plasmas/rptv on the increase having this type of connection is usefull and I even noticed more and more AV amps have switching for component connections and now Pioneer & Sony have DVI switching also on their amps expect the new Toshiba LCOS to have dvi inputs like my pc 17" lcd display

Look, I know what you are saying, but the fact is barley anything has a DVI output currently, a couple of no name DVD players and thats it. The new Foxtel box has an SCART RGB output, whilst not DVI, its more or less teh same as component, just harder to find a display that takes it.

Danny.

The box you posted the link to is the box that they are shipping right now.

I know somebody who has just had foxtel installed (satellite) about 3 weeks ago. The STB they got is the one you just showed.

Does that mean that any new foxtel subscribers wont need a new STB?

I thought theat the new STBs were comming from a different manufacturer. (Pace)

I know somebody who has just had foxtel installed (satellite) about 3 weeks ago. The STB they got is the one you just showed.

PACE=cable

I think people who post here and say "Fox Digital" should make it clear whether they are referring to cable or Sat. It makes it very confusing to say the least!

Well, current customer who don't have the new box will, yes need a new box. The new silver UEC box will probably get an OTA software upgrade to unlock the intereactive features once they become avialable.

Cable custoerm will definately need a new box. Perhaps they are using PACE boxes for cable.

I am pretty much had enought of the speculation, we shall see in about 3 months!

Danny.

a couple of no name DVD players and thats it.

Danny

Well the new Denon A11 has the dvi port and its enabled to upscale dvd to 720p/1080i! I believe Pioneer also has a player with this port anyhow I how Foxtel booked to do an install on the 10th Jan I will post back here which box I am given and if indeed RGB is on scart I will test it out on my Sony pj and see what it tells me it is the only problem I can foresee is what color has the sync superimposed on its signal

I am pretty much had enought of the speculation, we shall see in about 3 months!

yep totally agree with you there :blink:

cheers laurie

Link to foxtel press release advising that Pace Micro Technology have won the contract for provision of stb's for both satellite and cable digital services. Of course, Pace may well source the units from UEC :blink:. On top of that the article is from May 2003 and could well no longer be current.

Fox & Pace Press Release

Link to Pace web site

Pace Micro Technology

A search of the Pace web site (foxtel) has foxtel mentioned in a few press releases. No details about boxes for Oz market.

Currently fox satellite boxes are from uec.

This topic originally started out as whether or not to wait for fox to broadcast fta digital tv. I would say sit tight and wait for a couple of months.

so will hammond be putting another message on fox to say that they shall be changing all the stb

Don't know. But on AUSTAR recently they had a rolling demo loop of how to install your new STB. Don't know what that was about but maybe they'll just post these out and leave us to our own devices.

I actually thought it was rather funny. Once you've disconnected your old box, how will see the rest of the demo to know how ot install your new box :blink:

I had a quick look on the Pace website and they do have stb with hdd/pvr capability.

blairy

I live in Adelaide and was at my friends house, who already has cable foxtel, and a foxtel sales man had just visited talking about the new upcoming digital foxtel. He said that the new service will have 150 new channels and will provide both SD and HD stating feb 27th! :blink:

Even though this comes from the mouth of foxtel this doesn't sound right so I was wondering if anyone here has some information about this topic and could tell the real deal!

I live in Adelaide and was at my friends house, who already has cable foxtel, and a foxtel sales man had just visited talking about the new upcoming digital foxtel. He said that the new service will have 150 new channels and will provide both SD and HD stating feb 27th! :blink:

You said the magic words 'SALES MAN' take most of it with a grain of salt.

As much as I wish it would be true I have heard that they will only have SD boxes.