AUS Plugs to US..How to ???

HI Guys,

Looking at the possibility of a conditioner which uses US plugs. Typically, I've just gone through a process to get rid of all my UK plug power cables so pretty much all my power cables have AUS plugs.

So....what's the process of switching over plugs from AUS to US....can this be done safely & do we know of anyone who would do this with a compliance certificate? I've asked Peter Graves & he's declined (even said he can't get hold of Furutech US plugs) so I just need to know the pro's & con's of switching over the plugs or whether it can be done??

Cheers

Matt

What operating voltage/frequency  is the Power Conditioner ? Spec Sheet would be helpful + photos of the device.  May sound like a dumb question but quite relevant as US uses a few different supply voltages and frequency's 

I would be looking at a different conditioner with Oz plugs, or better still, no conditioner at all. Also, using US plugs in general is a very bad idea anyway. It can void your insurance if something bad were to occur.

I don't claim any electrical technical knowledge but I do know someone who works in the insurance industry and he told me that people should not be using US plugs as it can lead to a claim being denied

Edited by rantan

6 hours ago, mattjtaylor2809 said:

HI Guys,

Looking at the possibility of a conditioner which uses US plugs. Typically, I've just gone through a process to get rid of all my UK plug power cables so pretty much all my power cables have AUS plugs.

So....what's the process of switching over plugs from AUS to US....can this be done safely & do we know of anyone who would do this with a compliance certificate? I've asked Peter Graves & he's declined (even said he can't get hold of Furutech US plugs) so I just need to know the pro's & con's of switching over the plugs or whether it can be done??

Cheers

Matt

No reputable tech would do this job for you. If I did it and something went wrong down the track, my insurance company would sue me into oblivion. I suggest you seek out another way.

Why do you think you need a power conditioner anyway? Australia has, generally, excellent mains power. Parts of WA can be bad, but that's about it. The correct place to put filters is on the appliance that is causing the problem. 

Edited by Zaphod Beeblebrox
  • Like 1

If the device is 230v nominal, 50Hz and chassis earthed with something like an IEC input and could be fitted with a standard Clipsal DGPO I don't see an issue.

There are simple Repair Technicians and there is the,  Registered EC with Product Liability Insurance, there is a World of difference in competence and ability 

5 hours ago, mattjtaylor2809 said:

HI Guys,

The simple answer is that it is illegal under Australian and New Zealand electrical regulations to sell or use US plugs or sockets or items fitted with them as they do not comply with the AS/NZS Standards and are classified as prohibited items. So, stick with your AUS plugs and buy a conditioner with AUS sockets  that is certified as compliant for use in Australia.

SA01.thumb.jpg.d8c52aba9dd08b8bb2b1f649882e2e65.jpg

SA02.thumb.jpg.ab7c06cf0c95f15623d195bc77d53400.jpg

SA03.thumb.jpg.c12690afdf773d1fbd596f2e313a5989.jpg

• Like 2

Also double check, but my findings were that the active and neutral are reversed in US power cables when compared with AU power cables.
Get out your multi meter and check !!

Important if replacing US plugs end with AU plug ends.

Please correct or confirm if anyone knows more about this

59 minutes ago, mattjtaylor2809 said:

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the information, I'll hold fire then!

Cheers

Matt

Smart move. You don't need a conditioner and you certainly don't want to use (crappy) US plugs. Australian plugs are much higher quality. And they're legal. If you have noise problems, then you need to attend to the appliance/s causing those problems.