Hi, I have moved house and have started to setup my room. I have 2 possible positions to place my gear but looks like i'll have to put them on the wall with the corner window because of the silly position of the door way right next to where my front right speaker is. I will add to this post as I determine final placement.  Also i will get some kind of sound absorption panels and floor rug to tame the echo.  It's a bare room for the moment (except for the couch) so it's worst case scenario at the moment. Also don't judge me on the small tv, it is temporary until I decide what to buy (maybe a Sony ZD9 if it drops in price).

I'd love feedback on the 2 positions and how bad will that corner window be?

Current position of gear.

IMG_20170323_065918.jpg

Most likely position (opposite wall). I'm not moving that heavy tv unit until i'm ready! Need a tv point, data point and more power points on this wall first.

IMG_20170316_193033.jpg

Edited by Mr_Gadget
  • Like 5

16 hours ago, krebetman said:

FWIW, I've always found that I prefer the result when speakers are arranged across the long wall. You have some asymmetry in either case - hopefully that corner window won't throw off your spectral balance.

I did consider this, but setting it up this way will not allow me to move the speakers away from the back wall. Looks like I'll be going with the 2nd photo.

• 1 month later...

Here is an updated photo of my room, just had power points, antenna point and data points installed along the wall.

I have placed my main left and right speakers in front of the subs so that they can be a bit further apart.

I am yet to test how it sounds but this is the final orientation. I also had my Krix ceiling speakers installed.

Also I bought a new TV, Sony Z9D (on order).

IMG_20170506_113054.jpg

IMG_20170506_113142.jpg

Edited by Mr_Gadget
  • Like 4

Hey Mr Gadget- hope I'm not going off topic too much but you mentioned getting the Sony Z9D. Did you compare this to the Samsung 65" Q7F QLED or LG 65C7T OLED by any chance?

I'm in the market and struggling to decide on tele's!

BTW, jealous of the 2 monstrous looking subs in your set up!

9 hours ago, demiliam said:

Hey Mr Gadget- hope I'm not going off topic too much but you mentioned getting the Sony Z9D. Did you compare this to the Samsung 65" Q7F QLED or LG 65C7T OLED by any chance?

I'm in the market and struggling to decide on tele's!

BTW, jealous of the 2 monstrous looking subs in your set up!

Initially I didn't want to spend more than $4k on a new TV but when I found out the ZD9 could be bought for ~$4.5 I added it to my shortlist.

The LG Oleds we're a fair bit more experience, same with the Samsung QLED.

Motion is important to me so is upscaling. So I went with the Sony as these 2 aspects of image quality are arguably best on Sony especially with the X1 Extreme processor.

Disappointingly and surprising, the Z9D scored poorly in the recent rtings review, but there's been some controversy surrounding this and most users on the AV forums are very happy with their ZD9.

• 3 weeks later...

• 8 months later...

Installed some CMF acoustic panels today. Still need to do the panel behind right speaker.

I have a panel sitting on window sill behind curtain (behind left speaker) and another panel on left window sill just forward of the speaker.

IMG_20180210_143914.jpg

IMG_20180210_143907.jpg

IMG_20180210_143848.jpg

IMG_20180210_143827.jpg

• Like 4

• 1 year later...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

• 3 weeks later...