Any Audioquest fans here?

Just curious to see if there are other Audioquest fans on this forum?  I used to be a nonbeliever until I tried an Audioquest OAK speaker cable on my system and I was so upset that I was wrong.... truly are splendid cables.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, joey_v said:

Just curious to see if there are other Audioquest fans on this forum?  I used to be a nonbeliever until I tried an Audioquest OAK speaker cable on my system and I was so upset that I was wrong.... truly are splendid cables.  

Count me a big fan jv! Very neutral cable and a great buy at many price points!

1 minute ago, darthlaker said:

Count me a big fan jv! Very neutral cable and a great buy at many price points!

Sweet man! 

I am loving my speaker cables.  Audioquest WEL. 

Which do you have @darthlaker

Edited by joey_v
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Galactic Soap said:

I'm a big AQ fan as well. I'm running AQ Oak speaker cable and AQ WEL XLR's between DAC & integrated amp. The AQ WEL XLR's felt like a component level change in my system. 

Yes GS....very special cables indeed! I had Sky and the WELs just gave me even more! :)

• Like 2

Seems like I'm not the only Audioquest fan who went all the way, never saw that many wel users at once!

i have the wel speaker wire and 2 wel power cords.  Looking to complete the loom with 2 xlr and im done

so costly though...

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, darthlaker said:

Yes GS....very special cables indeed! I had Sky and the WELs just gave me even more! :)

Same here DL - I went from Sky's to the WEL's and I underestimated the difference the upgrade would have on my system. As I mentioned it was almost as if I bought a new DAC. At the time I was using a Metrum Pavane and the synergy was breathtaking I was concerned when moving from the Pavane to the DAVE that the new DAVE + WEL combination would be too bright but, again, I was happy to be proved wrong. Both components work in harmony and accentuate the music through pure unadulterated resolution. 

33 minutes ago, joey_v said:

Seems like I'm not the only Audioquest fan who went all the way, never saw that many wel users at once!

i have the wel speaker wire and 2 wel power cords.  Looking to complete the loom with 2 xlr and im done

so costly though...

WOW - A full AQ WEL loom?! You must have an amazing system! :)

I inquired re: a 8ft run of AQ WEL speaker cables but decided against the $US31K+ asking price. When I win Lotto a full AQ WEL loom will be the second thing I buy after a Porsche 911 GT3 RS.   

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Galactic Soap said:

Same here DL - I went from Sky's to the WEL's and I underestimated the difference the upgrade would have on my system. As I mentioned it was almost as if I bought a new DAC. At the time I was using a Metrum Pavane and the synergy was breathtaking I was concerned when moving from the Pavane to the DAVE that the new DAVE + WEL combination would be too bright but, again, I was happy to be proved wrong. Both components work in harmony and accentuate the music through pure unadulterated resolution. 

I inquired re: a 8ft run of AQ WEL speaker cables but decided against the $US31K+ asking price. When I win Lotto a full AQ WEL loom will be the second thing I buy after a Porsche 911 GT3 RS.   

I know what you mean! FYI, AQ and Ayre and Vandersteen are a match made in heaven! 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Galactic Soap said:

Trying for the full loom.

I have the AQ Wel (newest version) 8ft single-biwire speaker wire.

Also have the 2 AQ WEL power cords (because my Boulder 2060 amp has its own cord that I cannot replace with a Wel).

i just need your wel xlr and I am a happy man... Hahaha

The Wel speaker wires were a massive improvement in my system.  I compared it directly to Oaks back to back to back...

I love the Oaks but the Wel was another level entirely.

I always thought silver would be bright... But I was glad the wels are not.  They proved to me that silver done right is uhmazing!

• Like 1

Guest scumbag

I have a pair or AQ SLIP 14/4 speaker cables with some solid copper spades (not Audioquest ones) that I think sound excellent. I used have over the lat few years used them in a rotating system combinations of about 10 amplfiers, 5 DACs and 4 sets of speakers and I think it has a very balanced sound. Not bright or bass heavy, just a good balanced sound with relatively good detail. I've just ordered some AQ Type 4 cables with AQ silver plated banana plugs as an upgrade. I haven't tried any of their other cables to be honest.

Edited by scumbag
typo

I used to be into SR but have switched to AQ.  I think AQ are on a roll at the moment.  All their silver cables I have used are winners.  I tried the digital cables first, liked the sound and tried Wind interconnect.  Wind is a level above SR Tungsten & Atmosphere Level 3; and way ahead of equivalent Transparent. 

I now have more Wind interconnect and phonocable on order, with Redwood Speaker cable.  I can't afford WEL.  I did audition the Comet speaker cable, I liked it but although it is better than my Transparent MusicWave Super, it is not upgrade level better.  I was told Redwood is similar to Meteor speaker cable but much more dynamic, and much more bass slam.

What I like about the AQ sound is that it is not hifi.  Has a good natural, full organic sound, with plenty of bloom and real detail.  Not that lean, fake detail.

Edited by generichs

6 hours ago, generichs said:

I used to be into SR but have switched to AQ.  I think AQ are on a roll at the moment.  All their silver cables I have used are winners.  I tried the digital cables first, liked the sound and tried Wind interconnect.  Wind is a level above SR Tungsten & Atmosphere Level 3; and way ahead of equivalent Transparent. 

I now have more Wind interconnect and phonocable on order, with Redwood Speaker cable.  I can't afford WEL.  I did audition the Comet speaker cable, I liked it but although it is better than my Transparent MusicWave Super, it is not upgrade level better.  I was told Redwood is similar to Wind speaker cable but much more dynamic, and much more bass slam.

What I like about the AQ sound is that it is not hifi.  Has a good natural, full organic sound, with plenty of bloom and real detail.  Not that lean, fake detail.

Exactly!

How do you like the redwood?  That's what I was going to get until I stumbled onto my Wels.  

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 1/20/2017 at 11:33 PM, joey_v said:

Exactly!

How do you like the redwood?  That's what I was going to get until I stumbled onto my Wels.  

The Redwood is a level above the Transparent speaker cable I have, which i believe was the top of the line Transparent of about 5 yrs ago.  In my system the character of the Redwood is the same as the Transparent.  I think Transparent make better speaker cables than they do interconnects. 

Unfortunately my preamp broke while I was burning in the Redwood.  I think Redwood took about 3 wks to burn in.  Due to the similarity of the cables, the improvement was of nuances.  If I could afford it, Wels would have been a stronger upgrade and give more wow factor.  The problem may be my aural memory of the Transparent.  Maybe if I put the Transparent back on there would be a wow factor when I re-attach the Redwoods.  But I'm a lazy audiophile.  :D

• Like 2

Guest scumbag

I have no experience with the rocket series but i have  experience with the type4 and as a point of comparison, the slip 14/4. I've also owned quite a few cables in the $100 to $800 range just by way of comparison. I haven't gotten into the super exotic stuff.  The type4 offers excellent levels of detail in the mids and treble. I assume this is due to the use of silver plated copper. I've owned a few different cables that use this type of conductor and they seem to share that characteristic. The type4 would  perhaps not be described as having deep bass in comparison to some other cables I've owned but that is a function of the more detailed highs i suppose. The bass that is present is very clean. I would recommend the type 4 if you like a more detailed midrange and treble or if you have a system that is a bit dark. The slip 14/4 is a lot cheaper but it still remains a favourite of mine as it does not exaggerate any part of the spectrum. So it does not grab your attention and is very relaxing to listen to in the long term. I can't speak for the rocket series but I can only imagine that they will offer similar levels of detail to the type 4 with perhaps a bit more bass due to the thicker conductors . I think the type4 offers better sound than a lot of the more expensive cables out there that have a deliberately veiled sound but this really is a matter of personal taste. 

Hope  that helps. 

Edited by scumbag

On 6 April 2017 at 0:47 AM, exSG said:

Can anyone share their thoughts on rocket 44 and 88 and Type 4?

Got Rocket 44 in 2.5m has a very natural presentation in my system I'm using them with acoustic research ar93. Also have Gibraltar in 1.5m paired with opera grand mezza the sound is very clear, full of body. The disparity in price makes rocket 44 a bargain. Was looking at type 4 as it is a very good speaker cable for the money asked  but to cure future upgradités went for 44 & Gibraltar when I was looking for speaker cables. Well worth the investment as the rest of the cabling in my setup is solid silver from Audioquest 

Neo

Edited by Neo

On 06/04/2017 at 10:55 PM, Neo said:

Got Rocket 44 in 2.5m has a very natural presentation in my system I'm using them with acoustic research ar93. Also have Gibraltar in 1.5m paired with opera grand mezza the sound is very clear, full of body. The disparity in price makes rocket 44 a bargain. Was looking at type 4 as it is a very good speaker cable for the money asked  but to cure future upgradités went for 44 & Gibraltar when I was looking for speaker cables. Well worth the investment as the rest of the cabling in my setup is solid silver from Audioquest 

Neo

Hi Neo,

Sorry for the late reply. Many thanks for your sharing.

This was very helpful. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

As you can see in my signature I'm a huge AQ fan! :)

P.S. And I've owned a lot of their cables (CV-8, Panther, Colorado, Cheetah, Sky, Mont Blanc, Volcano, NRG-5, NRG-10, NRG WEL and now WEL XLR, Hurricane HC, Everest and NRG-1000).

Edited by johndoe21ro
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...

Time to revive this thread.

Anyone heard of the new Mythical creatures speaker cables? Seems like the Beez Neez of cable?

Apparently the entry level Thunderbird already surpass the existing WEL signature at 1/8 of its price? (According to the AQ rep in the demo video).