Help required Soldering 2 resistors on vintage Sony TA1130 Geelong/Torquay area

Guest The man who fell to earth

@@The man who fell to earth > This needs a resolution, I went 27 years without my 'baby' (a girl, now a woman)... back together at last...

Sinead Oconnor - Nothing Compares 2 U Lyrics...

It's been seven hours and fifteen days
Since u took your love away
I go out every night and sleep all day
Since u took your love away

But nothing
I said nothing can take away these blues

`Cause nothing compares
Nothing compares 2 u

It's been so lonely without u here
Like a bird without a song
Nothing can stop these lonely tears from falling
Tell me baby where did I go wrong

I did it !!!

She's off interstate to see the Wizard.

As you can see I went a bit over the top on packaging her, I couldn't find smaller boxes anywhere near me.

Then the courier I found a $52 quote with this morning couldn't accept any parcels when I got to their depot because their internet/Software stopped working, and the person at the desk was to moronic/rude to work out an alternative of accepting my parcel by means of pen and paper. So I got stuck with a $70 courier (Ouch).

I am sure the pain of spending all this money will ease when I hear her sing again.

The best bit is, that thanks to such great advice from you guys, I am confident that she is in good hands, instead of being anxious that some invoice tallying t.v repair man has her on the backburner until filling her with Chinese parts.

post-154020-0-14812500-1463385782_thumb.

Edited by The man who fell to earth

If you explain to your tech that you are particularly fond of the amplifier and are prepared to pay a little more for a proper repair job, using premium (but not ridiculously over-priced) components (specifically: transistors), then you should be on the right track.

I just wanted to extend my gratitude to ZAPHOD BEEBLEBROX who was undoubtedly the most informative and most influential contributor toward me making an informed decision. I tried to P.M but seems you are so in demand you filter your messages.

Big thanks though.

Bowie  fan > Sang to the tune of "We're Off To See The Wizard" (from The Wizard of Oz)....

We're off to see Skippy, The Wonderful Skippy of Oz
We hear he is a whiz of a wiz, if ever a wiz there was
If ever, oh ever a wiz there was, Skippy of Oz is one because
Because, because, because, because, because
Because of the wonderful things he does

DON'T PANIC!!!

"Vell, Skippy's just zis guy, you know?"

Edit: Bold text corrected for political correctness.

PS: Should've used the Skippy the Bush Kangaroo song! :P

Edited by rastus

Sorry for misunderstanding Rastus, I wasn't able to get a message through to Zaph, I just wanted him to be sure how much I appreciated his helpful posts.

It is the wizadry of Skippy 124 that  will see the Sony singing again.

I just wanted to extend my gratitude to ZAPHOD BEEBLEBROX who was undoubtedly the most informative and most influential contributor toward me making an informed decision. I tried to P.M but seems you are so in demand you filter your messages.

Big thanks though.

Thanks for your nice words. Good to see that you have sent your amp to someone who can bring it back to life.

FWIW: I don't filter my messages. I just forget to clear my box from time to time.

• Like 1

Hi,

This amp landed here earlier this week for some TLC.

Interesting build philosophy, and very well put together.

Now, down to business.

Covers off, partial disassembly to get access to the main amplifier board where the damage was done, and cold checks on all transistors and diodes in the failed channel revealed the following

The burned 10 ohm resistor that was the start of this thread was the only obvious fault

The other failed components -

Both output transistors (Q8102 and Q813 - 2SD88A) were shorted collector to emitter which presented a short between the +/- rails, and this took out the two protection fuses on the transformer secondary output for the +/- rails.

Q810 (2SA527) was also shorted collector to emitter,

And Q808 (2SC633) had also failed.

Planned replacements as follows

2SD88A - MJ21194G

2SA527 - 2N5322

2SC633 - BC550C

More to follow......

Cheers

John

• Like 2

Good to see someone who knows what theyre doing is on the job.

Just some suggestions, Are you considering replacing the diff inputs -A705 ? Probably nothing wrong with them but since youre in there.....

Shame A527 got fried, but since youre swapping out  how about a complimentary pair? 2N5320 npn and  2N5322 pnp?

BC550C - not too much gain?

MJ21194G- money well spent

Just a note: Does the service manual state 50mV for Bias? That will be wrong. I suggest you use your knowledge and to get it sounding right.

I look forward to seeing your work.

Good to see someone who knows what theyre doing is on the job.

Just some suggestions, Are you considering replacing the diff inputs -A705 ? Probably nothing wrong with them but since youre in there.....

Shame A527 got fried, but since youre swapping out how about a complimentary pair? 2N5320 npn and 2N5322 pnp?

BC550C - not too much gain?

MJ21194G- money well spent

Just a note: Does the service manual state 50mV for Bias? That will be wrong. I suggest you use your knowledge and to get it sounding right.

I look forward to seeing your work.

Thanks for your comments.

Re the 2SA705's, I'll see what the stability and noise is like once it is going again. I could replace these with some KSA992's if the DC offset drifts.

Re the 2N5322 replacement for the fried 2SA527, this is is mounted in a small heatsink assembly, and the complement in this design is a 2SC895 - this is a TO66 package so there is no easy way to implement the 2N5320.

Agreed the BC550C is a tad high gain wise, I am probably going to fit a low hfe range 2SC945, which should do the job nicely (or even a BC548)

The service manual does indicate a bias current of 50ma (25mv across one of the 0.5 ohm emitter resistors). The 1150 service manual indicates the same value, and it has a pair of outputs in in each half. I'll see what the crossover distortion is like at a lower bias levels

Cheers

John

Edited by skippy124

Note to the owner: You may or may not have discussed this with skip but i'll put it out there anyways.

Now that he's got the amp back on life support, will you be doing the same changes to the other channel to keep them balanced?

Secondly have you considered a recap? 1971- That makes it 45yrs young. I'm sure you've read plenty on the pros and cons of recap. That Sony should be a breeze to recap. Much easier than other brands. A touch of the iron and theyre out.. An hourly rate +parts and youre a winner.

Note to skip: the cap glue is corrosive much like the sansui. Put your eye over them.

I put this out there for your consideration , as the major cost of postage and disassembly has already been accounted for. Skip is in there and now would be the time to make that decision. You can discuss that with him.

In many ways youre a lucky man to have decided on THE ONE. Most of us junkies constantly pursue that last half a percent in upgrading ..... but thats fun and highly addictive!

Spending money now will save you $$$$ in the long run. Vintage was never meant to be cheap.

• Like 1

Hi MovingAhead,

I know exactly want you are saying and you make some good points.

I would like a re-cap of course,

But I am already at a stretch affording what is being repaired and I don't want to ask too much of Skippy124 off the cuff, he's a highly regarded and sort after Tech, with a day job.

As for balancing the channels... we did discuss that. I believe we can repair one channel, take measurements of the two channels, and only do the changes to the other channel if necessary???

Thanks for your input.

(Arggggghhhhhh, Now you have me thinking of a re-cap.)

@@The man who fell to earth its there now, pulled down and in the grand scheme, its not going to add much more to the cost to recap the signal path at least.

I know moneys not easy to come by, but you do love the unit, right?

Quality is remembered after the price is forgotten.

You'll end up with a "restored" unit as compared to a "repaired" unit.

If it was me, I'd talk nicely to Skippy and see what he thinks and what can/should be done.

• Like 1

My thoughts. (uh ohhh - danger will robinson)

If it were mine, I'd do both sides (transistors etc) for matching, I'd also do trimpots and caps etc.

I know Mr Man of earth is pretty strapped.

So, I'm happy to throw $20 or so Skips way to help out. (John, PM me your bank details and I'll do a deposit)

If lots of people throw in a little bit, maybe we can help out ?

• Like 1

Uh, Ohhhh.....

Thanks GreenWagon, but as wonderful a notion as Stereonet members contributing their hard earned dollors toward someone elses restoration is.. NO!!!!!!!! NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am not comfortable with that sorry. But a Big thanks for the generosity.

I spoke with Skippy124 and he mentioned that he was happy to take on this job as it was a repair and not a restore so I am not very comfortable asking more of him.

Thanks Greenwagon for suggesting we match the transistors, I agree that that is the correct way to go.

I will PM Skippy 124 and discuss if he has the time, and I have the pockets, to just recap the signal path if you guys think it will add SQ.

Thanks again GreenWagon for your generous idea, but  I politely decline. 

So, I'm happy to throw $20 or so Skips way to help out. (John, PM me your bank details and I'll do a deposit)

If lots of people throw in a little bit, maybe we can help out ?

I got a red-back ($20) with Bowie Fan's name on it... no problem. Romeo and Juliette should never have been a a 'tragedy' in the first place. I'm in Sydney metro, damn I'd drop it in myself.

Edit-1: Bowie Fan > Generosity, or charity, when offered sometimes is insulting when refused. And as much as pride is important, so is your peace of mind, no? Brother, think it's like Christmas... remember, never return a gift!

Edit-2: But, if you say no, then no it will be.... have to respect you on that.

Edit-3: Now where's Skippy's pm box.....

Edited by rastus

I really, really, really, really, really, really, really appreciate the amazing generosity of you guys, 

But it is getting awkward.

Can we please never speak of this again.

Big Thank You. Thank You (now never again.)

No problem Bowie Fan, Our Lips Are Sealed (The Go-Go's)... not another word. Finito! Never mention it again. Not even a hint, or a sly wink from a short distance. It's over. Done deal. Crazy idea.

MwaH! You still luv me though, right? Group huggies!

Sometimes we all need help. There is never disgrace accepting or even asking for it. It's a damn hard lesson to learn.

Hard earned, nah, I just slug the next customer more  :P

Group huggies ? um, whos nappies are we talking about  ;)

Wait, What ? What were talking about ?

Damn oldsheimers.

Isn't that a brand of ameericon car ??

Oh God no, here come the men with the white jacket....... Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

• Like 4

I communicated with Skippy124 this morning.

He's a top fella and has made it clear that his time will be billed very, very generously. So no need for passing a hat around.

Thanks again (shucks guys).

Sometimes we all need help. There is never disgrace accepting or even asking for it. It's a damn hard lesson to learn.

Hard earned, nah, I just slug the next customer more

Group huggies ? um, whos nappies are we talking about

Yes, yes, don't we all. No never... not never. Indeed it is... reference: A movie called "Pay It Forward" (2000), check it out (I mean it). Not back, forward. Refer link below....

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0223897/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Remind me where you work, so I don't go there.... LoL!

LoL @ nappies!

I communicated with Skippy124 this morning.

He's a top fella and has made it clear that his time will be billed very, very generously. So no need for passing a hat around.

Thanks again (shucks guys).

No comment, as promised. We all are. And brother, the missus will love that movie (above).

Typical SNA generosity all round. Nice work to all involved.

Maybe so, or humanity. Maybe even just Auzzies (of all nationalities), no man gets left behind. Ever.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0460740/

If you like surreal movies.

As for being 'left behind'. yeah no, I know a few I'd like ship back where they came from.

But that leaves me with a quandary. Where do I ship those that are native ? Theres only 3 that I can think off, but boy do they deserve 'Necklacing'.

EDIT. Is it bad every time I see Skips name I start inwardly singing the the theme song ? Or is it just showing age ?

Whats that Skip, the rangers fallen down a well, Oh no....

Sorry. Had too. :D

Edited by Green Wagon
  • Like 1

If you like surreal movies.

As for being 'left behind'. yeah no, I know a few I'd like ship back where they came from.

But that leaves me with a quandary. Where do I ship those that are native ? Theres only 3 that I can think off, but boy do they deserve 'Necklacing'.

EDIT. Is it bad every time I see Skips name I start inwardly singing the the theme song ? Or is it just showing age ?

Whats that Skip, the rangers fallen down a well, Oh no....

Thanks, seen Cashback (2006).... try S_natch (2000) or Spun (2002). Watch out brother, the Dream Police (Cheap Trick) AND the Thought Police (George Orwell) are watching (meta data remember). I can relate because I do have a 'Connection to Land'... born in Forbes, lived in Grenfell. Over an ale (or two) I'm sure we could 'relate' brother.

Re Skippy....

http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/index.php/topic/103194-help-required-soldering-2-resistors-on-vintage-sony-ta1130-geelongtorquay-area/page-3#entry1622754

"Where's Sonny, Skip?"

Edit-1: So..... s.n.a.t.c.h is a dirty word now? LMFAO!!!

Edit-2: I will add... my BFF of 40 years is Dutch, my most recent mentor of 16 years is Pakistani, my first wife Chinese, my second wife Italian, my Yamaha AVR Japanese, my DSPeaker Finland, PiFi DAC+ Chinese, LG Plasma TV South Korean... I could give a bat's bum where your from.

Edited by rastus
  • Like 2