Sansui TU555 voltage questions

According to the compliance plate, you don't, but it is odd to see a 240VAC model from the US. Perhaps it would be wise to have it checked by a tech, before plugging in. The other issue is that of de-emphasis changes, but that is a sound quality thing. I'd be more curious to know why a 240VAC model is in the US.

• Like 1

It was most likely originally purchased from a U.S. military PX store in Europe and bought back to the U.S.

Sansui was one of the manufacturers that had a contract with the U.S. Military PX stores worldwide, hence the large quantity of multiviltage units that were bought back to the U.S. Conversely if you look at Sansui units for sale in Canada they are invariably 120v AC only.

Cheers

John

It will be just as Naggots suggested, there will be a voltage selector on the chassis, visible once the cover is removed.

I can take a photo tonight and post up of that would be of assistance.

Cheers

John

EDIT - see here last pic shows the voltage selector

http://www.classicaudio.com/forsale/san/TU555.html

Edited by skippy124

It will be just as Naggots suggested, there will be a voltage selector on the chassis, visible once the cover is removed.

I can take a photo tonight and post up of that would be of assistance.

Cheers

John

EDIT - see here last pic shows the voltage selector

http://www.classicaudio.com/forsale/san/TU555.html

Whilst not doubting your depth of experience with Sansui products, I find it odd that it is a 220VAC - 240VAC model in the US. Are you suggesting that the unit has a 117VAC switch setting? One would think that if it did, then it would be labelled on the compliance plate.

As per my post a a couple of posts above, this would have been bought into the U.S. By a returning military serviceman. The TU555 is na early model, and perhaps at the time these wee sold they were marked with 220-240vac as this was the voltage of the market in which they were sold.

The same unit sold in the U.S. Would be marked 120 or 117vac (see the classic audio photos - that unit is marked 117v, but it has the internal voltage selector.

A corollary - there was a thread recently regarding importing Japanese domestic market Accuphase - 100v units, but the advice in the thread was that they could be rewired(ie were set up for multiviltage)!for 240v operation. So if imported and rewired you would have a unit marked 100v AC , but operating at 240v AC (hope that makes sense)

Cheers

John

Very interesting  - great. Just an auxiliary question. There's any number of Sansui amps etc for sale in the states featuring variable voltage from 100 to 240 - but with different fuse sizes depending on the voltage. Is it simply a matter of using a plug adaptor and changing the fuse size to lower ampage - e.g

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Sansui-AU-517-Integrated-DC-Stereo-Amplifier-1977-79-/111887846290?hash=item1a0d090b92:g:0OoAAOSwoydWqTbP

or do these units have an internal switchable voltage as well? Just curious.

Edited by gator2310

Very interesting  - great. Just an auxiliary question. There's any number of Sansui amps etc for sale in the states featuring variable voltage from 100 to 240 - but with different fuse sizes depending on the voltage. Is it simply a matter of using a plug adaptor and changing the fuse size to lower ampage - e.g

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Sansui-AU-517-Integrated-DC-Stereo-Amplifier-1977-79-/111887846290?hash=item1a0d090b92:g:0OoAAOSwoydWqTbP

or do these units have an internal switchable voltage as well? Just curious.

Some Sansui amps have an external mains adjustment, whilst some (very old) models use internal adjustments. The vast majority of US units will ONLY operate on 117VAC mains supply. Changing a fuse will not effect a mains Voltage change. 

• Like 1

Thanks Zaphod -  what about the amp in the link for instance? Thats about 1978-80 I assume - Im not in the market (buying another amp right now would result in domestic rupture) but I wonder why they are badged with that voltage range. Sorry about the derailment OP but I have been curious about this stuff .. :)

Thanks Zaphod -  what about the amp in the link for instance? Thats about 1978-80 I assume - Im not in the market (buying another amp right now would result in domestic rupture) but I wonder why they are badged with that voltage range. Sorry about the derailment OP but I have been curious about this stuff .. :)

The amp cited has a Voltage adjustment plug, which is under the compliance plate, near the fuse holder on the rear panel. It can be adjusted for 240VAC.

• Like 1

Some Sansui amps have an external mains adjustment, whilst some (very old) models use internal adjustments. The vast majority of US units will ONLY operate on 117VAC mains supply. Changing a fuse will not effect a mains Voltage change.

Hi Trevor,

Agreed that In general, the vast majority of amps and receivers (all brands) iN the U.S. are U.S. only voltage. However, Sansui amps and receivers (70's and early 80's) don't follow this pattern - on average Sansui gear of this vintage listed on US eBay are over 90% multivoltage. The later U.S. only units (late 70's onwards) can usually can be easily indentified by the UL sticker that will be on the rear panel.

Conversely in Canada over 90% are 117/120 Vac only.

Cheers

John

• Like 1

Hi Trevor,

Agreed that In general, the vast majority of amps and receivers (all brands) iN the U.S. are U.S. only voltage. However, Sansui amps and receivers (70's and early 80's) don't follow this pattern - on average Sansui gear of this vintage listed on US eBay are over 90% multivoltage. The later U.S. only units (late 70's onwards) can usually can be easily indentified by the UL sticker that will be on the rear panel.

Conversely in Canada over 90% are 117/120 Vac only.

Cheers

John

That's just weird.

The reason is in one of my earlier posts - according to the Sansui pundits in the U.S., Sansui gear was sold to US servicemen through the military PX stores at a discounted rate and it became very popular. So in Europe (mainly Germany) the Phillipines, Vietnam etc, multi voltage units were sold so that they could be used in that country and also used back in the U.S. Most of that gear ended back in the U.S. when the servicemen returned.

Cheers

John

• 4 weeks later...