Hi from Canberra (With Pic)

LHH

Hi Everyone,

I've been wandering around the forum for a while now, making use of reviews and recommendations (while keeping an eye on the for sale page), and I thought it was about time I introduced myself.

Originally from NZ, I'm in Canberra for the next couple of years while I complete post-grad studies at the ANU. Prior to my studies I worked for a number of years in the Hi Fi industry, my interest being in Stereo rather than Home Theatre.

I love music of most genres (though I hate most rap, pop, and R&:). Currently I'm listening to Chris Whitley's wonderful 'Soft Dangerous Shores', and current favourite albums include Arvo Part's 'Berliner Messe', Explosions in the Sky's 'How Strange, Innocence', and Marcin Wasilewski Trio's 'January'. Other long time favourites include Lamb's 'What Sound', Steve Reich's "Music for 18 Musicians", and UNKLE's 'Never Never Land'.

Given that I'm in a flatting situation here in Canberra (and essentially living in one room), I've put together a system that is small and relatively portable. I use my laptop as a source (all music as Flac or HD wav), or my iPhone through a Cambridge Audio iD100 digital dock. My DAC is a Weiss DAC2 (which also operates as my pre-amp), and power is provided by Wyred 4 Sound SX-1000 monoblocks (these replace a Rega Mira 3 which I'll put up for sale at some point soon). Speakers are Usher Be718 stand-mounts (though they are not on stands due to limited space), and cabling is QED, Wyred 4 Sound, and Van Den Hul.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30403[/ATTACH]

hi LHH i will have to get around to this introduction thing myself -congradulations on the setup hard to think of a better one for the conditions you describe. What do the Wyred sx-1000 sound like? they must exert total control over those speakers

regards Speedgod

I've always thought that if one is going to do something, then one should do it properly. I'd rather own one wonderful thing, than many pieces of junk. I also think that if you have a passion, you should follow it. I don't have a car (I'm happy to walk and cycle), but I do have a stereo, and it brings me a great deal of pleasure. :nana

Edited by LHH

I've always thought that if one is going to do something, then one should do it properly. I've rather own one wonderful thing, than many pieces of junk. I also think that if you have a passion, you should follow it. I don't have a car (I'm happy to walk and cycle), but I do have a stereo, and it brings me a great deal of pleasure. :(

That's what I call getting your priorities right. :D

Welcome to SNA, LHH.

Cheers

wolster

Yes, they are beautifully finished speakers, contrasting with the truly ugly unit they are sitting on. My partner tells me I can sell all the other components (because they do not meet her aesthetic standards), but that I have to keep the speakers. ;)