Red

Guest Peter the Greek

Guest Peter the Greek

The story of an ex-CIA analyst and the CIA’s desire to have him killed for a job he did once, to cover up somethingerother.

What’s not to like, an action movie filled with stars. Did I mention stars? Stuff me it was as if a bunch of “older” stars decided to make an action movie of sorts. It’s got Bruce Willis (ex-CIA dude), John Malkovich (paranoid ex-CIA dude), Helen Mirren, Karl Urban (a youngen), Morgan Freeman (legend), and Mary-Louise Parker (ok not old and not really a star). There is even a showing from Ernest Borgnine (a 90+ year old Oscar winner)

Is it worth seeing? Well yes. It wasn’t that predictable (surprising), had some funny bits and was a fairly entertaining ride. I’m not annoyed that I sat down to watch it.

One of my favourite scenes is where Helen Mirren (how stunning is this women! Damn if all women of her age looked that good the world would be a better place – I could say the same for men with George Clooney, I digress). Anyhow, it’s a stunning outfit (made by the teams costume designer, Susan Lyall, who seems to be in the wrong job, she’d make more working for Valentino...whoops back to the film again), she’s standing there “manning” what looks like an M60 Machine gun – it’s a total classic – photo here (doesn't do the scene justice but to give you a feel for it):

RED-134DF-04122R-300x200.jpg

It’s kinda like Ocean’s 11 meets The Fugitive.

3.5 stars

Link to my Movie Review Blog

Edited by Peter the Greek

Guest Peter the Greek
BTW the machine gun is a Browning M2HB..........

Cheers, thanks for that!

I should have know that with all the games I've played over the years :)

• 2 weeks later...

The film is Bruce Willis once again to obtain the role of action hero who got to save the day. Despite his age, seems to be doing pretty well, and the public can find this star to perform the necessary actions easy tricks and a young actor. There is no doubt that this film is destined to become another hit for Willis to get physical features. Another contender former agent John Malkovich, who never fails to surprise a witness is an unusual combination of roles, he seems to accept these days.

• 1 month later...

I saw this a while ago. I have very mixed feelings about the movie. I felt the director was unsure of what he wanted so he tried for a bit of everything.

"Bourne Identity" gritty action sequence - Bruce Willis and the young 'un (Karl Urban) in the office.

"Steven Seagal" action sequence - "spec ops" in Bruce Willis' home

Sharp,witty dialogue - Helen Mirren with Mary-Louise Parker in snow, Mirren and Malkovich

"Jacky Chan" slap stick - action sequences with Helen Mirren where she seems to be able to miss EVERYTHING except the side of a car...

Yes - Helen Mirren is stunning.

And I liked the Hilti DX460 fastener tool used by John Malkovich to secure the MG to the car park floor...

I'll be generous and give it 3 out of 5.

• 2 weeks later...

One of my favourite scenes is where Helen Mirren...., she’s standing there “manning†what looks like an M60 Machine gun – it’s a total classic – photo here (doesn't do the scene justice but to give you a feel for it):

RED-134DF-04122R-300x200.jpg

[/size]

I'm pretty sure that is a Browning M2 50 caliber Machine gun. I've fired an M60 and its a weener of a gun compared to a 50 cal. Technically none of those agents sheltering behind those couple of SUVs would have survived. The 50 cal (1/2" rounds) would have lacerated the SUVs in seconds and the guys behind seconds later.

That's Hollywood for you!

I'm pretty sure that is a Browning M2 50 caliber Machine gun. I've fired an M60 and its a weener of a gun compared to a 50 cal. Technically none of those agents sheltering behind those couple of SUVs would have survived. The 50 cal (1/2" rounds) would have lacerated the SUVs in seconds and the guys behind seconds later.

That's Hollywood for you!

Indeed. I did some video conversion for a SWAT copper some years ago. One of the videos very neatly demonstrated the uselessness of hiding behind a tree (trunk diameter - 30cm) and a single brick wall, when faced with a standard military style automatic weapon.

IMO a very good movie.

A perfect popcorn film that appeals to a huge variety of audience ages [unlike a Fast and the Furious flick]

Re the 50cal Browning heavy machine gun, a mate of mine went to Vietnam for a holiday about 4 years ago and got to shoot one of these. The old toyota car body they used for a target lasted about 20 seconds. If he had US$500 he could have had a go at an RPG.