Hey all,

I am looking getting an onkyo NR808 from usa, now i know the power supply is different but for the price even when factoring a step down converter its a steal. Btw i know about the missing hdmi out port :P.

Now i know about the missing facts

IE radio might not work (i get crap reception anyway)

only 1 hdmi out (its only hooked up to a projector anyway)

No warrenty (Saving around 1500) so thats good enough for me)

I will also be running it basically for the pre outs hooked up to my xpa-5 power amp.

Now will the step down converter make it sound any different. as i found one what will do up to 750w which is higher then the requirements of the amp.

Or is their a way to change the power from 110v to 230v?

Anyway any info will be appreciated

Cheers,

I don't know how much electronics you know but take a look at the power supply when you get it. The input to the power transformer might have 4 terminals on it instead of just two. If it does have four terminals then you should be able to just rewire the primary windings in series instead of parallel. Most global equipment has this, some even have a small jumper that you move to change voltages. Don't worry about the 220 volt rating it will be fine here.

If you do end up going with a stepdown transformer, try and get an isolating transformer. These are often sold for use with medical equipment that is sourced from overseas. I have bought a couple of these on ebay for quite reasonable prices. Ensure you get one that's rated for about twice as much as your actual requirements.

This is a must read article on the subject.

Who can tell me where to look to discover whether a transformer can in-fact be re-+wired? I was looking at picking up a secondhand Denon A1XV however the US model is substantially cheaper, even after taking into account shipping, GST etc.

It is different for each model of equipment but on one side of the power transformer, where the mains voltage comes in, there will be either two terminals or four terminals. If the transformer has four terminals on the input then it should be able to be rewired for 220 vac instead of 110. If you don't know any electronics get someone who does to help because getting it wrong will ruin your equipment at the very least.