What does a preamp actually do?

Besides the obvious role of input switching and volume control, obviously. What extra does a preamp bring to the system, and what separates a good pre from a mundane pre?

I'll use Cambridge gear as my examples, because it's what I'm most familiar with (owning some, and liking it).

Cambridge's 840/850 series comes with an integrated (A) and a dedicated pre (E), as well as the power (W). While I can understand the big price on the W, as it's quite a beefy unit and specced much higher than the power section of the A, what I don't understand is the pricing of the E relative to the A. They're generally sold for the same price (give or take), or with the pre at a slight premium.

I figured the circuitry between the pre stage of the A and the entire E would be similiar, but if they're the same price where one has to account for the power section as well, obviously they're not. What difference would the better circuitry in the E bring?

For someone (someone hypothetical. Let's call him... PWilson) running their system using a lower range integrated as a pre, for a higher range power, what could they reasonably expect in terms of improvement moving to either a higher range integrated (as a pre) or a higher range dedicated pre?

• Like 1

Besides the obvious role of input switching and volume control, obviously. What extra does a preamp bring to the system, and what separates a good pre from a mundane pre?

A GOOD preamp should:

* Introduce no additional artefacts (linear, non-linear distortion) into the signal. IE: No audible defects.

* Provide a suitably high input impedance.

* Provide a near to zero Ohms output impedance.

* Sufficient gain for any conceivable situation.

A good preamp will possess all the above.

A poor (or average preamp) will deviate from one or more of the above parameters.

I'll use Cambridge gear as my examples, because it's what I'm most familiar with (owning some, and liking it).

Cambridge's 840/850 series comes with an integrated (A) and a dedicated pre (E), as well as the power (W). While I can understand the big price on the W, as it's quite a beefy unit and specced much higher than the power section of the A, what I don't understand is the pricing of the E relative to the A. They're generally sold for the same price (give or take), or with the pre at a slight premium.

I figured the circuitry between the pre stage of the A and the entire E would be similiar, but if they're the same price where one has to account for the power section as well, obviously they're not. What difference would the better circuitry in the E bring?

Without examining the schematics, it is impossible to say. Many manufacturers put more engineering quality into their separates.

For someone (someone hypothetical. Let's call him... PWilson) running their system using a lower range integrated as a pre, for a higher range power, what could they reasonably expect in terms of improvement moving to either a higher range integrated (as a pre) or a higher range dedicated pre?

Not easy to predict, given the differences in hearing, expectations, rooms and systems. Best that Mr Wilson should try some different products in his system to see what happens.

SNIP

That's it.  You've nailed it in your first sentence.

What finally separates good from bad amps is their transparency, which can be due to better design/components/build.

I like separates (one function = one box) rather than integrated, because then you can change one or the other or both independently.

With separates you have to pay for 2 boxes and 2 power supplies - but of course that may be a good thing.

Thanks for the replies.

Input impedence is something I've read around the periphery of but haven't really delved into enough to understand fully. I guess I'll go do that (as time allows).

The rest of the stuff makes sense, but it does give the impression of the part of the chain where you'll hit diminishing returns the fastest (but I don't really have a sense for how much noise the cheaper/midrange) preamps add.

The esteemed Mr Wilson has spent more money than he should have on other components lately, and is going to have to patiently sit on his hands for a while. Also trying to buy second hand/run-out stock means auditioning can be difficult.