Diagnosing RMB-1095 LED Lights and Crackle from SL channel

Hey all,

I picked up a Rotel RMB1095, my dream amplifier for sooo long haha. 

I just wanted to see if anyone could help diagnose 2 things.

The first one is the FL and SL hand side Protection LEDs flash when I press the Power off button. The other Leds don't flash when I switch it off.

Was just wondering if this was normal?

The other thing was a crackling sound from the SL channel. I tried changing Interconnects and it still happens. I noticed the rca input on the amplifer had some corosion on the gold plating. I moved the rca cable a bit left and right and it seems like the crackle has now gone.

Thanks

Adrian

Just a little update, been unplugging and plugging different rca cables at the back of the power amp. Now none of the lights are coming up when I switch it off which is what it should be. Could corrosion on the rca inputs have caused this issue?

Hi Adrian,

I had a similar problem with a 2ch amp with crackling on one channel. I opened up the case and saw the channel in question had dry solder joints. I first used a small very soft wire brush to clean around the joints and then used a soldering iron to re-heat the joints until I got a solid joint. You can see once the solder has melted you remove the soldering iron and let it dry. Was good as gold after that.

I now always make it a point to avoid rca ic's that are really tight to fit on the rca socket. Otherwise, you tend to try and wrench the ic off and you can loosen a solder if it's an old or older amp.

Good luck.

Cheers

Edited by pasadena
  • Like 1

Hey Mate,

Thanks for the advice. I just picked it up off the forum so hoping I might not have to do any work to it.

I tried it again this morning, turned the amp on then preamp. I tried a test tone on each of the channels and the front RIGHT, Center, SL and SR is not coming out (this happened when I first turned on the amp but thought it was loose rcas).

The FL and SL channels still flash when I turn the amplifier off.

With the RCA cables disconnected I can hear a different amount of buzzing from the Power amp too, but thought this might be because there are no rca inputs.

Was also wondering if anyone has experience on costs to get RCA input RCA joints resoldered (and if they could recommend anyone on here qualified to do the job) if it does end up being the issue?

Edited by aad_ht

Just out of curiosity, was the amp tested working when you picked it up or were you aware of the issues? Hopefully it's an easy fix. Cheers

The amp was posted out with Pack and Send very safely, i've never seen something so carefully packaged in my life haha (was on a mini pallet). The amp was tested in 2 channel prior to sending but i'm not sure about the other channels since.

Hoping its an easy fix too, been wanting an RMB1095 for ages now :( Only just found this one recently so i'm hoping it all works out :(

If you haven't opened up the case yet, have a look inside. Sometimes with the accumulation of dust can tend to short components so I take it down to a service station with a workshop section and ask one of the workers there for a small air tip nozzle and give your amp a good clean out.

Another thing you might try is using a Co2 contact cleaner for an extra clean of any grime or dirt. I usually try these things as part of my troubleshooting process. :)

Edited by pasadena
  • Like 1

If you haven't opened up the case yet, have a look inside. Sometimes with the accumulation of dust can tend to short components so I take it down to a service station with a workshop section and ask one of the workers there for a small air tip nozzle and give your amp a good clean out.

Another thing you might try is using a Co2 contact cleaner for an extra clean of any grime or dirt. I usually try these things as part of my troubleshooting process. :)

Thanks for the advice :) Lucky I have an air compressor with the small air tip nozzle available in the garage. 

You've been really helpful. 3 posts in the last 10 hours has been incredible. I was sure to Like every single one of your responses :)