Text to speech technology (or software)

Hi all,

My mum's had a couple of minor strokes, which means she's not able to speak properly at all. Now, I've found a thing in Settings on our Ipad (which I assume will be the same on hers) called Spoken Content. This allows highlighted text to be spoken by the Ipad (and by her Iphone if she wants it to).

But they all seem to be aimed at people who can no longer read stuff. She's still good at the old typing, etc., it's just getting people to hear her that is the issue. It was bit of a pain trying to get the Telstra people to solve an issue for us - luckily we managed to get hold of someone who was able to help.

So, I guess we'll be looking at getting something that can use a recording of her voice as a starting point. And to allow a typed sentence to be read out via a speaker OR spoken into her phone when she's on a call.

Has anyone seen, heard or used anything like this?

Edited by Cloth Ears

Hi Cloth Ears. Have you spoken to a speech pathologist? It's their job to help people with speech disabilities express themselves. They may be aware of a solution to your problem. 

13 hours ago, Keith_W said:

Hi Cloth Ears. Have you spoken to a speech pathologist? It's their job to help people with speech disabilities express themselves. They may be aware of a solution to your problem. 

Thanks, Keith. Yes we have.

But writing down anything that's not just yes/no doesn't really work on the phone...which is one of the main things.

11 hours ago, stereo coffee said:

I can recommend  http://espeak.sourceforge.net/

Thanks, Chris.

She's an Apple person (Ipad/Iphone) and probably a bit late to change now. Still uses Windows software to manage the super/pension and other, but it's not very regular.

We had a bit of a play with "Spoken Content" on her Ipad last night. While it works, it's a bit clunky. I've found a few other text to speech apps (and I'm pretty sure I found one provided with the iOS) including a few that can convert her voice into the voice used by the app. But I'm unsure if they can just do it using a recording.

I think I'll book into an Apple store to see if there's anyone with a bit of tech knowledge about this.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Update on this. Looks like it's not strokes at all, but very aggressive MND. Phuck (with an F)!

So it may not be something we need to set-up long-term. We managed to work out the Voice thing on her Ipad, just going to look for a better Ipad and one with a larger keyboard. And rather than trying to cobble together a version with her voice, she has indicated Dame Judi Dench, or Miriam Margolyes would be acceptable.