HiMedia Q5/Q10 Pro 4K HDR Review

Have any of you guys been able to connect the himedia Q10Pro player directly to the NAS, bypassing the router? My video quality is stuttering. Connection isn't optimum for watching full bluray ISO rips.

Just out of curiousity, what is the brand of your NAS?

Is the direct connection of the Q10 Pro to the NAS using the NAS USB port or the NAS Ethernet port?

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would suggest that you configure both the NAS and Q10 Pro to using static IP address ie 192.168.2.XXX for the NAS and 192.168.2.YYY for the Q10 Pro.

After configuring both devices to using static ip then wait for a minute or two after reboot for them to learn each other address before accessing the NAS content.

Forget to mention, please disable the wireless feature for Q10.

Any compelling reason why are you not using a fuss-free method of connecting both the devices directly to the router’s lan port or via a gigabit switch to access the contents in the NAS?

My understanding is 4K 60Hz 4:4:4 runs at 18Gbps at 8 bit Color which is the same color  gamut as 720p and 1080i/p. The complication is when HDR comes into play ie HDR increases the color volume and this requires an increases in color gamut which means 10bit or 12bit deep color. This only happens using HDMI 2.0 specs which as the min (10/12bit color)

The bottom line is that (I think) there is no 4K 60 4:4:4 HDR supported by HDMI 2.0 — it requires HDMI 2.1 specs. As of now, we are frequently watching 24fps or chroma 4:2:0 or 4:2:2 which is still under 18Gbps.

In summary 4K formats for HDMI 2.0:

4K 60 4:4:4 (no HDR) = 17.82Gbps (supports 8 bit)

4K 30 4:4:4 10bit HDR (no 60fps) = 11.14Gbps (supports 8bit, 10bit, 12bit, 16bit)

4K 60 4:2:2 10bit HDR (no 4:4:4) = 17.82Gbps (supports 12 bit)

4K 60 4:2:0 10bit HDR (no 4:4:4) = 17.82Gbps (supports 8bit, 10bit, 12bit, 16bit)

4K 60 4:4:4 10b HDR = 22.28Gbps (needs HDMI 2.1)

Do take note that HDR HDMI defaults to 8-bit even at 4K UHD, but stepping up the ladder requires 10-bit minimum (according to spec anyway) and HDR can still works for only the brightness and contrast — not color volume because this is the greatest benefit of HDR.

The ideal scenario would be 4K 60 4:2:2 HDR, where either 10- or 12-bit color is supported within the 18Gbps HDMI limit and getting the best of today availability until such a time when HDMI 2.1 is ready to serve out more dishes.

Please feel free to correct.

Does anyone know if we select 4k/60Hz resolution with YUV 4:2:2 chroma sub sampling, is the bit depth 10bit or 12bit? coz it doesn't say so in "advanced settings" section.

If you select 4K UHD at 60Hz and YCbBr 4:2:0 and/or 4:2:2, the default bitrate will be at 10bit for 4K content. But it can support up to 12 bit for DV if the media player is capable of outputting it to a display monitor (OLED 4K TV or 4K Projector) that supports DV. My advice is to stick with 4:2:0 (considering that the 4K movie itself on the disc contains the colorspace of 4:2:0). Going by the theory that 4:2:0 will eventually be upscaled by your display monitor (OLED 4K TV or 4K Projector) to full RGB 4:4:4 sample rate, it makes little to no difference at all to the PQ. Likewise, if you choose 4:2:2, it will have little to no impact to the end PQ result if the ultimate route is to have your displayer do the upsampling to RGB 4:4:4. The point is...if you have Source Direct or Auto feature in the Resolution setup, there is literally no need for you to decide which one to choose (4:2:0 or 4:2:2), simply choose Auto or Source Direct (almost a guaranteed signal of 4:2:0 at 8-bit unless you select the HDR layer for 10-bit or DV layer for 12-bit processing).

• 2 weeks later...

Here are the latest firmware version as follows:

International

Q5 Pro - HMD-2.0.7 2018-01-13.094413

Q10 Pro - HMD-2.0.7 2018-01-12.113104

Chinese

Q5 Pro - HMD-2.0.7 2017-12-26.201539 

Q10 Pro - HMD-2.0.7 2018-01-04.103947

Should you decide to upgrade the player firmware locally instead of online, here are the links:

International Q5 Pro: http://www.mediafire.com/file/yo6v4py5v99o28y/update.zip

International Q10 Pro: http://www.mediafire.com/file/pkd2njkwvrgauvn/update.zip

Chinese Q5 Pro: http://www.himedia.cn/fws/package.php?id=150

Chinese Q10 Pro: http://www.himedia.cn/fws/package.php?id=165

Caution: Use the right firmware and DON’T install the international unit with Chinese firmware and vice versa otherwise it will “break” the player.

Have fun ... ;)

Would suggest that you configure both the NAS and Q10 Pro to using static IP address ie 192.168.2.XXX for the NAS and 192.168.2.YYY for the Q10 Pro.

After configuring both devices to using static ip then wait for a minute or two after reboot for them to learn each other address before accessing the NAS content.

Forget to mention, please disable the wireless feature for Q10.

Any compelling reason why are you not using a fuss-free method of connecting both the devices directly to the router’s lan port or via a gigabit switch to access the contents in the NAS?

I realise i didn't reply this properly. The router had its firmware upgraded and all is ok now.

Thanks Bro for d guidance.. all done.

Here are the latest firmware version as follows:

International

Q5 Pro - HMD-2.0.7 2018-01-13.094413

Q10 Pro - HMD-2.0.7 2018-01-12.113104

Chinese

Q5 Pro - HMD-2.0.7 2017-12-26.201539 

Q10 Pro - HMD-2.0.7 2018-01-04.103947

Should you decide to upgrade the player firmware locally instead of online, here are the links:

International Q5 Pro: http://www.mediafire.com/file/yo6v4py5v99o28y/update.zip

International Q10 Pro: http://www.mediafire.com/file/pkd2njkwvrgauvn/update.zip

Chinese Q5 Pro: http://www.himedia.cn/fws/package.php?id=150

Chinese Q10 Pro: http://www.himedia.cn/fws/package.php?id=165

Caution: Use the right firmware and DON’T install the international unit with Chinese firmware and vice versa otherwise it will “break” the player.

Have fun ... ;)

• 2 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...

Q10 Pro+Q5 Pro+Q30 Changelog:

1.When go to the sub-menu“device info”via Advance settings cause“Advanced settings”stop working issue fixed

2.Time zone setting not saved issue fixed

3.Subtitle has been compressed issue fixed

4.Wifi auto disconnected issue fixed

5.There were a lot of subtitles pops up when DVD seeking issue fixed

6.Latin input method caused system crash issue fixed

7.Disconnect USB device is supported when at stand by status

8.Support 21:9 widescreen display

9. Wallpaper distortion when zoom out issue fixed.

10. Mxplayer unable to display on the app manager issue fixed

11. Myk+ compatibility solved

12. Google Play unable to log in because of compatibility issue fixed

13. Media Center unable to playback DVD issue fixed

14. Media Center add new functions: Copy&Paste

15. Media Center support video playback in sequence of the media center playlist

16. Clear the shielded files, relieve the shields of catalogue of DCIM, TDDOWNLOAD, THUNERDB and etc.

17. Media Center support “.lge” video files playback

18. Video Player support 2.3:1 playback

19. Video Player support all BDMV subtitles which need to be at the same catalogue of BDMV

20. Video Player support playlist and playback in sequence in the playlist

21. Samba service malfunction solved

http://www.himediatech.com/support.htm

Q10 Pro+Q5 Pro+Q30 Changelog:

1.When go to the sub-menu“device info”via Advance settings cause“Advanced settings”stop working issue fixed

2.Time zone setting not saved issue fixed

3.Subtitle has been compressed issue fixed

4.Wifi auto disconnected issue fixed

5.There were a lot of subtitles pops up when DVD seeking issue fixed

6.Latin input method caused system crash issue fixed

7.Disconnect USB device is supported when at stand by status

8.Support 21:9 widescreen display

9. Wallpaper distortion when zoom out issue fixed.

10. Mxplayer unable to display on the app manager issue fixed

11. Myk+ compatibility solved

12. Google Play unable to log in because of compatibility issue fixed

13. Media Center unable to playback DVD issue fixed

14. Media Center add new functions: Copy&Paste

15. Media Center support video playback in sequence of the media center playlist

16. Clear the shielded files, relieve the shields of catalogue of DCIM, TDDOWNLOAD, THUNERDB and etc.

17. Media Center support “.lge” video files playback

18. Video Player support 2.3:1 playback

19. Video Player support all BDMV subtitles which need to be at the same catalogue of BDMV

20. Video Player support playlist and playback in sequence in the playlist

21. Samba service malfunction solved

http://www.himediatech.com/support.htm

After updated, network set to 0.0.0.0

And after re-set back, all connection to my NAS are gone, was still working before the update. Can’t connect to NAS any more be it NFS or LAN. Couldn’t find server.

And after re-set back, all connection to my NAS are gone, was still working before the update. Can’t connect to NAS any more be it NFS or LAN. Couldn’t find server.

Does it works again after reverting to previous version?

I have deleted the previous version, do you still has a copy for me to try?

I have another Q10pro in my room with previous firmware and is working fine.

I have deleted the previous version, do you still has a copy for me to try?

I have another Q10pro in my room with previous firmware and is working fine.

Think I have a copy but couldn’t confirm as I m traveling now till Apr 21.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Think I have a copy but couldn’t confirm as I m traveling now till Apr 21.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK, when you are back. I still can use my the other Q10pro.

After I re-assign my Q10pro with new IP, now it start working again with the new firmware. Strange that all old IP I assigned before could not be use for the new firmware to work.

After I re-assign my Q10pro with new IP, now it start working again with the new firmware. Strange that all old IP I assigned before could not be use for the new firmware to work.

Setting status ip for the player should solve the issue.

If I'm not wrong, the ip lease will change after a set period.