Loricraft and Keith Monks record cleaning machine

Hi all

I am looking vinyl cleaning machine thats work quietly. I already have a Chinese ultrasonic one, just like to add one more for occasional cleaning one or two records from time to time. I had been searching online that Loricraft and Keithmonk they produce quiet record cleaning machine but very pricey. Are they worth this kind of price they asked for? Is any current user here?

Thank you 

Regards

Eric

10 minutes ago, demmauhong said:

I had Loricraft first because I can see technical same with Keith monk and much cheaper.... but I was wrong as soon I brought Keith Monk  A& B test ... big difference in class ?

I believe stereonet member selling Keith monk on stereonet lately

I think that one already sold, and is use for cleaning record business. 

Is the difference between loricraft and Keithmonk is performance in terms of cleanness of the record ?  Or something else ?

3 minutes ago, demmauhong said:

Yes I believe seller had record shop. Like I said difference in Class.

Keith Monk  perfect job in detail.

Saw you are selling many record lately which I felt sad but now you are after record clean.... great.

Don't worry I love trading records. Thank you for your advice. 

• Haha 1

I've had a Loricraft PRC3 for about 4 years now. It's superb and does such a good job that I gave up cleaning ultrasonically within a month or two of buying the Loricraft. It runs almost silently, hasn't put a foot wrong and does a top quality job. If you've got a really, really dirty album then the ultrasonic would do a more thorough job getting ride of the dirt but for any ordinary album that might be noisy it will clean it up to be silent. It's so easy and quick to use that if you fancy, you can clean every record each time before you play it. I don't as I don't see the need, but I make sure any record I play has been through the Loricraft at some point. It's really not an onerous business compared to faffing around with the ultrasonic.

Pricey for sure but with the price of my cartridge up over $5000 now I look on it as an investment with the extra stylus life you get from only ever playing pristine records.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Hergest said:

I've had a Loricraft PRC3 for about 4 years now. It's superb and does such a good job that I gave up cleaning ultrasonically within a month or two of buying the Loricraft. It runs almost silently, hasn't put a foot wrong and does a top quality job. If you've got a really, really dirty album then the ultrasonic would do a more thorough job getting ride of the dirt but for any ordinary album that might be noisy it will clean it up to be silent. It's so easy and quick to use that if you fancy, you can clean every record each time before you play it. I don't as I don't see the need, but I make sure any record I play has been through the Loricraft at some point. It's really not an onerous business compared to faffing around with the ultrasonic.

Pricey for sure but with the price of my cartridge up over $5000 now I look on it as an investment with the extra stylus life you get from only ever playing pristine records.

Thank you for sharing your valuable experience. I keep an eye for one in the secondhand market.

I had the PRC3. SOLD it. 3 issues I had with it

1.  Water gets splashed all over the plinth. Always had to have a few tissue paper on hand to clean up while washing/drying was in progress.

2. Always had to watch it till the end and not let the nozzle stay too long over the centre label.

3.  The action of the silk thread brushing over vinyl surfaces is a source of sound degradation. Induces a form of static that dulls the sound of the record. 

These days I use a fast spinner. Expel moisture efficiently, without supervision, and without degrading sound. You can experiment with different water to achieve static balance, and the sound you like (contact therapy)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jeromelang said:

1.  Water gets splashed all over the plinth. Always had to have a few tissue paper on hand to clean up while washing/drying was in progress.

2. Always had to watch it till the end and not let the nozzle stay too long over the centre label.

3.  The action of the silk thread brushing over vinyl surfaces is a source of sound degradation. Induces a form of static that dulls the sound of the record. 

These days I use a fast spinner. Expel moisture efficiently, without supervision, and without degrading sound. You can experiment with different water to achieve static balance, and the sound you like (contact therapy)

Thank you for sharing your experience. I did not notice it will degrade the sound of the record. 

2 hours ago, jeromelang said:

You must have been using it incorrectly and you'll excuse me for saying, but why on earth would you not watch it until the end before the nozzle passed onto the label? It takes all of 30 seconds to clean a side, to leave makes no sense at all. And even if the nozzle goes on the label for a week and a half it makes no difference as you let that bit of thread go into the waste jar so a new, clean piece of thread is exposed. As for your comment about dulling the sound, that's simply not true. It makes no difference at all. I'm struggling to work out how you used the machine. Did you read the instructions?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ericcklau said:

I think he means the regular vacuum one such as VPI, project, just one or two spin can suck all the water out from the record.

No, he means one that spins the liquid off by centrifugal force. That still leaves a residue though that only a vacuum can remove.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 03/09/2020 at 10:53 AM, Ericcklau said:

Thank you for sharing your experience. I did not notice it will degrade the sound of the record. 

The issue is that for both brands of machines mentioned, the silk thread that serves to elevate the vaccum nozzle above the vinyl surface and keep them from physically touching each other.

305listen.2.jpg

all the sciences will tell you that fabrics material rubbing over rubber will induce the creation of static.

in this case, the form of static created when the silk thread brushes over the vinyl surface can change the sound of the record in some ways:

- dulling of the top octave frequencies

- attenuation of overall dynamics

- limiting bass extension and impact.

The effect is temporary. 

you can immediately remove the adverse effects by splashing water over the vinyl surfaces and then removing the moisture by non-contact means - either by high speed air blowing on the vinyl surface, or high speed spinning of the vinyl record. 

tap water works better than distilled water in restoring vibrancy, dynamics, freq extension at either ends, and natural timbre to the sound of the record.

i realise it will be difficult to imagine the sonic damages unless one has listened to and compared to the same record cleaned, and then dried with non-contact drying systems vs physical contact drying methods.