Woofer issue, where's my mids?

First Time poster here, was hoping someone out there would be able to give some advice on my issue. Bought a pair of magnat Shadow 207 a few months ago and noticed that one of the speakers is not playing the mids on the lower two woofers. (there's three total on each speaker) it is pretty obvious when I put my ear close to the Woofers and comparing it to the other speaker. I've switched the speakers to the opposite side and the issue remains with that speaker. I've now swapped the lower two woofers from the other good speaker and its still not playing the mids on that speaker which draws me to the conclusion that the woofers are not the issue but some kind of problem with the circuitry/crossover or wiring connection somewhere. Any ideas what I could try or look out for or what I can try to fix this issue. Is it worth the effort? The retailer will most likely offer me a refund for them. Thanks in advance. 

Check to see if it’s:

1. Loose wire on the mid somewhere inside or cable socket triwire not linked if it has one in the first place

2. Blown capacitor or resistor in the crossover circuit leg to the mid driver. Look for signs like charring or physical issues though unlikely to see that

2 hours ago, VanArn said:

LGW1 are you sure that you understand  the geometry of the speaker system ? The top most 170 mm speaker is the midrange speaker and the bottom two 170 mm units are the bass speakers.

+1

So the faulty speaker is the one that is letting midrange material through to the the bottom 2 woofers.

Manufacturers spec says the crossover for the bottom 2 woofers is right down at 280Hz with 24dB slopes, so you shouldn't be hearing any midrange material from them.

Sounds like there's a wiring or crossover issue that is causing the woofers' LP filter to be bypassed.

Compare the wiring between the 2 speakers and also check for any loose strands of wire that might be shorting to another terminal.

Thanks everyone for the replies so far, yes I do understand that the lower to will freeze meant to be subwoofers. Maybe I wrongly assumed the wrong speaker was at fault and should actually be the other speaker which has the issue. I assumed it was that speaker as it just sounds incomplete when comparing it to the other speaker. The overall sound is less full so to speak (for a lack of a better word in my audio vocabulary).  

I'll go over and compare wiring in both speakers this weekend, cheers

So I had a look at what I thought was the good speaker over the weekend. The picture speaks for itself. The bad solder was for the tall white resistor, which was pretty loose from the board. 

I ended up epoxying the resistor back onto the board and did a really bad job at resoldering the connection and melted whatever was left around the hole. Hoping I hadn't buggered the speaker up entirely, I screwed the woofers back in place and fired her up. 

It worked! 

Now moving on, these speakers are still under warranty of sorts. Not covered by the manufacturer but by the seller.  I began a claim and they are supposed to be collected on Wednesday for inspection. I'm guessing what I just did should void any warranty, what does everyone think I should do? Suck it up and be happy it works now  albeight with a very amateur repair job by yours truely  and cancel the claim or be a nag and keep the claim open due to the dodgy crossover20181203_000840.thumb.jpg.59bd471d13ac244fc5ec3727dc2ab380.jpg20181203_000704.thumb.jpg.a3a5ff0a35313e7da00241ae6c6137c1.jpg

I'd keep the claim going on the basis that while you may have messed with the solder joint causing today's problem, quite a few of the other solder joints on that board are really not up to scratch either and could easily become dry joints before too long.

All of the solder joints that are domed and with no component lead visible are not what I would consider acceptable and are potential future dry-joints.

I hope the seller knows what constitutes a good solder joint.

https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-guide-excellent-soldering/common-problems

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/12/2018 at 1:07 PM, surprisetech said:

I'd keep the claim going on the basis that while you may have messed with the solder joint causing today's problem, quite a few of the other solder joints on that board are really not up to scratch either and could easily become dry joints before too long.

All of the solder joints that are domed and with no component lead visible are not what I would consider acceptable and are potential future dry-joints.

I hope the seller knows what constitutes a good solder joint.

https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-guide-excellent-soldering/common-problems

Sorry for the late reply. That photo was taken BEFORE I did any soldering. My poor soldering after has seemed to fix the issue. I haven't had the chance to have a proper listen as I've been busy setting up my new bryston a2s :)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, LGW1 said:

Sorry for the late reply. That photo was taken BEFORE I did any soldering. My poor soldering after has seemed to fix the issue. I haven't had the chance to have a proper listen as I've been busy setting up my new bryston a2s :)

I thought it must have been a pic of your soldering, but if it was assembled like that from new, that's damned atrocious. Certainly doesn't make their quality control procedures look good.

Edit: might have been better to send it back the way you found it, rather than resoldering it yourself.

Edited by bob_m_54