Jvc Dla-X500Rbe Ceiling Mount Advice

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is all going to be down to what you personally believe to acceptable. Make sure you have the lamp on low and stop the iris down to as dim as you are ok with. Then open it up as the bulb dims. When you are at full open and you believe it's still too dim, either turn up the lamp to full or replace. That could be 1000 hours or 3000 depending on your viewing environment and acceptable level of brightness to your eyes.

It is all going to be down to what you personally believe to acceptable. Make sure you have the lamp on low and stop the iris down to as dim as you are ok with. Then open it up as the bulb dims. When you are at full open and you believe it's still too dim, either turn up the lamp to full or replace. That could be 1000 hours or 3000 depending on your viewing environment and acceptable level of brightness to your eyes.

True.

I guess Ideally 120-140 or 150" max is the way to go.

With 140" screen, changing the lamps before the end of their nominal life, what kind of hours can you expect?

Depends how often you use it, you could be talking years before you end up doing that so not anything to worry about in the short term.

I am still very undecided to the screen size and my installer is pushing me for the mount tomorrow.

Oztheatre, If I go with a 140" scope screen (diagonal), am I better to move the projector closer to 4.5m throw or Do I leave it 5.5m (which is my preferred size for the time being on the wall)? As I understand it will make very little difference to the brightness if I decided to go with a smaller 140" scope screen.

Most likely I would want a 150" scope screen in the end but I may not go with that size if I find 140" is serving me well, move the seating a bit closer as you mentioned.

What is the lens replacement cost on these?

How do you manually adjust the iris?

Edited by here2rock

... I suspect that's why your installer is nagging you about the mounting point.

Have a good look at the projector central calculator ... sit in your normal viewing position and consider how "wide" you vision is ... that should then give you an idea of your maximum screen width ... any wider and watching a movie will be like watching a tennis match with you needing to move your head constantly to take in the events on the screen - not comfortable.

Luckily, I have not discussed about the mounting position with him as yet.

The calculator is not really helpful because it gives you a very broad range to mount, for example;

I click 2.39:1 ratio and set the slider at 140", it tells me to mount at 6.1 meters at 1.51x zoom. The advice I have been getting from Oztheatre is that I should mount at 5.1 at almost full zoom because of the brightness benefits. You mentioned, "Most projectors are optimized for the middle of their zoom range". There lies my first problem.

I guess I could mount at a distance in between which is about 5.5 meters. Even for a 140" 2.35:1 screen I still need a minim throw distance of 4.465 and maximum of 9.083. Is a meter a lot in terms of lose of brightness when you are talking about 140"-150" screen. Are we saying a difference of 10% in brightness or more? That is my second problem.

I find your posts very helpful. You did it again!

Your sarcasm doesn't bother me in the slightest. You haven't listened to Oz and he's the best in the business, I could also offer you some advice but reading through I came to the conclusion that there's no point. It's a projector and a screen, it's not rocket science, stop procrastinating and make a decision.

I am listening to all of them not just Oz, I have been very grateful to all of them. I will make a decision when I am ready. You add nothing in these forums, your purpose is just to flash your own equipment list in your signature, nothing else.

Please stay out of my thread.

Edited by here2rock

If Rich at Oz suggests 5.1m is your sweet spot for brightness then that is the sweet spot for brightness.

Brightness only does one thing and thats gradually dims over the life of the bulb.

Best start where it's at it's best.

Choose the screen size you want. But I'd be going 140" - 150" max - Def not any smaller though

Good luck with it.

I am listening to all of them not just Oz, I have been very grateful to all of them. I will make a decision when I am ready. You add nothing in these forums, your purpose is just to flash your own equipment list in your signature, nothing else.

Please stay out of my thread.

Seriously buddy, grow up.

My sigs there for no other reason than so others can see what I run and maybe see I have some idea when it comes to the stuff you obviously have no idea about.

Go have a look at Cowboyswing's thread on his ht build. There's a guy that asked advice, made decisions and got on with things, the opposite of you.

And I'll post wherever I want, it's an open forum.

I have to agree with Minty here ... you're repeatedly covering the same ground by asking the same questions has me wondering if you are actually having a good troll and giggle at our expense ... if you think the projector calculator is not really helpful, then I suspect therein is your problem.

I have my x35 mounted on the closest throw because my room has windows on two sides ... with the blinds down it is fine to watch ... after 6pm is is also fine with the blinds up.

My impression is that you have a light controlled room? if so, the hand wringing is unnecessary with the caliber of a JVC projector ... perhaps 5 years ago you would have an issue, but I seriously doubt you will if you work within the ranges of that calculator.

I do wonder how you decide what socks to wear though :question:

Honestly I am not.

To me your advice is different to Oztheatre's advice:

Your: Pick the screen size and lock the throw length at 1.50x zoom

Oztheatre: Pick the screen size, preferably between 120-140" and shortest distance, which means 2.0x zoom.

Is my confusion not a valid one? I respect both of your opinions.

well i had my x500 delivered to my door on wednesday afternoon. By 6.30 pm i had it set up at 4.5m to a 120 inch 16:9 screen and it works perfectly (apart from a seperate issue with FTA signal)

Your confusion is not valid........you are procrastinating..........mount the damn thing somewhere and if your not happy move it but stop wasting everyones time

I have to agree with Minty here ... you're repeatedly covering the same ground by asking the same questions has me wondering if you are actually having a good troll and giggle at our expense ... if you think the projector calculator is not really helpful, then I suspect therein is your problem.

I do wonder how you decide what socks to wear though :question:

And he's asking the same questions over on AVS in the JVC X500 thread.( and taken up about 2 pages their)

I can't believe this thread has hit 6 pages. Some very considerate people have tried to help with their advice.

Please just make a decision ( any decision will do!) and let this thread die.

And he's asking the same questions over on AVS in the JVC X500 thread.( and taken up about 2 pages their)

I can't believe this thread has hit 6 pages. Some very considerate people have tried to help with their advice.

Please just make a decision ( any decision will do!) and let this thread die.

So what, I am entitled to ask as many experts as possible (which exclude you)? IMDAVE, and long list of equipment, lol.

Edited by here2rock

well i had my x500 delivered to my door on wednesday afternoon. By 6.30 pm i had it set up at 4.5m to a 120 inch 16:9 screen and it works perfectly (apart from a seperate issue with FTA signal)

Your confusion is not valid........you are procrastinating..........mount the damn thing somewhere and if your not happy move it but stop wasting everyones time

I like to get it done right the first time.

I had the installer came in yesterday and installed it very professionally. i used the services of www.acoustix.com.au, Ricardo who is the director of the company was a great bloke, I highly recommend him if someone in is looking to install in Sydney area. I am glad I did not do it myself because of some of the complexities involved with wiring. He spent 4 hours installing it with a custom made timber block behind the plasterboard, it is as secure as it possible can be.

In the end I ended up installing it at a throw of 5.3 meters. I took into account the advice Chopsus gave me that you don't want it to be too big like a tennis court, from my watching distance this was the sweet point. if the globe start to show losing it's brightness then I can decrease the screen size. I kept Oztheater's advice in mind that from 5.1 to 5.5 meters there is unlikely to be a big difference in brightness.

I had two 15 meters HDMI cables but at the last minutes I ended with one professional 10 meters HDMI cable (supplied by the installer) along with the 15 meters cable as a backup.

The installer really liked the JVC kit which was recommended by Chopsus, so thanks again.

The installer was very impressed with the projector and the quality of the image and wanted to buy one for himself, which made me feel a lot better.

I will report back again when I have a few more hours on the globes and see how things pan out.

I will make a decision about the screen based on those results.

Once again thank you to , Chopsus, Oztheater (I will definitely keep you in mind for my screen purchase), Quark, Sands, Owen and others. I could not have done without you guys, I learned a lot on the way, I hope that I made the right decision for my needs which are a little unusual to others by sound of things.

Edited by here2rock

• 2 months later...

A couple of months on from installation, I am starting to think that I should have installed the projector slightly back maybe 6 meters or so, the screen size is slightly small than I would have liked for my viewing habits.

Edited by here2rock