Dvb-T Signal Meter

any fellow cablers/ sparkies/ antenna guys recommend a good in th feild DVB-T Meter?

around $200- $400 hand held either AA's or 9V battery or has it's own charging system

doesn't need to be too fancy just better then this http://www.matchmaster.com.au/commer...ment/12mm-df02

if it makes any difference I live not that far form Hills Industries Store in Edwardstown SA so I could pop in there and have a look at suggested models

Edited by Pugs

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah I popped around there and got a scare.. just awaiting pricing on them from one of my wholesalers to see if it is any better my budget was more a guestermation .. now i know what to expect for good kit my budget my need to go up abit.. good thing I'm not in a hurry for one

I have one of these as my personal (non-work) meter, does all the standard digital measurements, backlit display, not bad for a cheapy.

http://www.radioparts.com.au/ProdView.aspx?popup=1&Category=SXMM4540&Product=44201284&ProdDesc=DAT102+ANALOGUE+%26+DIGITAL+SIGNAL

You can probably find cheaper suppliers than the above (I did).

Theres a satellite version for about the same price too.

Seriously keep an eye on ebay, my old sat meter died a few years ago and I picked up the HST2 for $600 on ebay from a guy who had stopped doing foxtel...I like the combo meter-allows me to pick up sat contracts as well as doing FTA.

One went for around $600 last week.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HST-2-Terrestrial-Satellite-Meter-/330861046555?ssPageName=ADME%3AB%3ASS%3AUS%3A1123&nma=true&si=UgNOBZaziLb7MqlwvO5X9pJA%252FW8%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

That RPG one looks the goods for the money-nice Nbound.....Have you compared it to your other meter, is it accurate?

Mr Matten, the only problem with the hills meter is the battery can lose capacity-I was going to pay through the nose to replace mine with hills but ended up going to jaycar and making my own with I believe 8aa Nimh rechargables with tabs- solder it up and away you go....I now get great battery life for the cost of bout $30...only thing I did change was no longer using the 12v cig lighter charger-I use the 240v power supply running off my inverter-It charges fully when plugged in and on the road for the day.

That RPG one looks the goods for the money-nice Nbound.....Have you compared it to your other meter, is it accurate?

Mr Matten, the only problem with the hills meter is the battery can lose capacity-I was going to pay through the nose to replace mine with hills but ended up going to jaycar and making my own with I believe 8aa Nimh rechargables with tabs- solder it up and away you go....I now get great battery life for the cost of bout $30...only thing I did change was no longer using the 12v cig lighter charger-I use the 240v power supply running off my inverter-It charges fully when plugged in and on the road for the day.

My battery is slowly getting worse, I was looking at building my own pack. Why aren't you using the 12V from the car?

MER/BER usually quite close, dBuV not too far off either.

It come with software and USB cable to use all the meter functions (speccy/constellation/readings/etc.) on your PC too, not much use for it really, but its pretty cool :D

)

My battery is slowly getting worse, I was looking at building my own pack. Why aren't you using the 12V from the car?

Ive never used that hills model, but i know some meters of various brands cant do a full charge off the 12V input. (ie. only full charges from mains in socket - with the 12V only giving around a 70-80% charge each time and adversely affecting battery life)

)

Ive never used that hills model, but i know some meters of various brands cant do a full charge off the 12V input. (ie. only full charges from mains in socket - with the 12V only giving around a 70-80% charge each time and adversely affecting battery life)

Yep nbound, you are on the money...the 240v charger is the best option to prolong battery life and charges much faster than the 12v, you can buy a pretty cheap inverter to use for charging many things-I use a beefier model so I can charge drill batteries, cordless screwdriver, meter, portable tv, and use my 240v grinder at the back of my ute-If a setup like this is a consideration a second 12v battery is required.

• 4 weeks later...

i use a sefram 7806 but price would be an issue, paid $1650

I settled for one of these to store pre/post measurements when installing/repairing, and also because the displays are useful for showing customers the possible reason for their reception problems.

Think I paid $1500 inclusive for mine, cbf to look it up.

That's all it's used for, I have other instruments for the dirty work.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys.

In The market for a DVB-T Meter when doing my installs as old one has seen better days.

I'd prefer Handheld so It's a Toss up between

- Emitor Digi-Air Pro - around $500

- Labgear DAT102 - About $700

- Unaohm T40 - Cant get much Info.

What do other Installers here reckon about these in Question.

Basically the main differences feature wise, the Digi Air only has 20-31 MER Range,

Where as Labgear has 14 to 35.

The Digi Air has a 12v Output for powering Amps, LabGear Does not.

Digi Air seems to have MultiChannel strength displays (5 Channel strengh bars on one screen) where LabGear does not.

Cant find much info on the Unaohm aswell as any Distributors in WA/Australia and not sure on Price to expect compared

to features it has compared to the DigiAir and LabGear.

Any Comments on these 3 Meters? DAT103 is apparently coming out does anybody know what added features it has

other than Power Output and if it will be available this month?