Premier League On Fox Sports

Another Premier League season about to begin on Fox Sports, but I prefer watching most of the big games, covered by Sky Sports in England, on the internet.

The Fox presenters often seem not really interested to be sitting around through the early hours to present and are just not in the same league as Sky Sports...also during the daylight savings months Oct to April, which is most of the season, there is virtually no in studio coverage from Fox Sports at all as the games are on here too late in the night, as they just have the world feed coverage running without any proper pre match, half time and post match presentation, and instead just the 5 minute pre match 'intro' by the world feed commentator, then generic world feed music, stats and highlights at halftime and the end of a match(also at halftime the generic video packages).

Using the world feed for the 3pm games(for the red button 5 live games) is fine but for the other games I just wish Fox Sports, like they did in the late nineties and early 2000's, would go back to using the full English Sky Sports presentation of Richard Keys and commentary for the Saturday lunchtime games, and the Super Sunday games, most often featuring Andy Gray and Martin Tyler, especially on the really big games, and the great Monday Night Football coverage which is back this season.

http://tvnewsroom.co.uk/sports/sky-sports-.../mnf-returning/

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another Premier League season about to begin on Fox Sports, but I prefer watching most of the big games, covered by Sky Sports in England, on the internet.

The Fox presenters often seem not really interested to be sitting around through the early hours to present and are just not in the same league as Sky Sports...also during the daylight savings months Oct to April, which is most of the season, there is virtually no in studio coverage from Fox Sports at all as the games are on here too late in the night, as they just have the world feed coverage running without any proper pre match, half time and post match presentation, and instead just the 5 minute pre match 'intro' by the world feed commentator, then generic world feed music, stats and highlights at halftime and the end of a match(also at halftime the generic video packages).

Using the world feed for the 3pm games(for the red button 5 live games) is fine but for the other games I just wish Fox Sports, like they did in the late nineties and early 2000's, would go back to using the full English Sky Sports presentation of Richard Keys and commentary for the Saturday lunchtime games, and the Super Sunday games, most often featuring Andy Gray and Martin Tyler, especially on the really big games, and the great Monday Night Football coverage which is back this season.

http://tvnewsroom.co.uk/sports/sky-sports-.../mnf-returning/

I know what you mean i have Sky sports here in adelaide using the hava player. Plus i can record to my Set top unit in England

I would do the same if I were you - it would be great if people here in Australia could pay to get access to Sky games in full quality live on the internet rather than just UK Sky subscribers, as the free streams are usually not the best quality.

With the hava player can you only playback video recorded onto your dvr after it has been recorded or can you watch your dvr and change channels on the dvr and access any Sky channel you are subscribed to in England from anywhere live?

Fox Sports should start showing the Sky Sports coverage and give the fans here the best possible coverage available of the Premier League like they did in the past.

Also would like to see the Sky Sports News channel come back to Australia, which aired here on Fox Sports between midnight and 6 am each night a few years ago for a while. The channel in England from Aug 23 will now be HD and SD but will become a subscription only channel. Fox Sports News is far too top heavy with AFL and rugby league news(2 sports the rest of the world do not care about), and Euro Sport News is not updated often enough. Again the only access to this channel to Australians is via internet streams.

I would do the same if I were you - it would be great if people here in Australia could pay to get access to Sky games in full quality live on the internet rather than just UK Sky subscribers, as the free streams are usually not the best quality.

With the hava player can you only playback video recorded onto your dvr after it has been recorded or can you watch your dvr and change channels on the dvr and access any Sky channel you are subscribed to in England from anywhere live?

Fox Sports should start showing the Sky Sports coverage and give the fans here the best possible coverage available of the Premier League like they did in the past.

Also would like to see the Sky Sports News channel come back to Australia, which aired here on Fox Sports between midnight and 6 am each night a few years ago for a while. The channel in England from Aug 23 will now be HD and SD but will become a subscription only channel. Fox Sports News is far too top heavy with AFL and rugby league news(2 sports the rest of the world do not care about), and Euro Sport News is not updated often enough. Again the only access to this channel to Australians is via internet streams.

[/quote

I have full access to my dvr in the uk. I can do all the things that i can do foxtel using hava. I wouldnt care if Sky sports News come to foxtel. Because i have already got it on sky.

domstrama I think Fox Sports News would be worried that maybe alot of people would switch over to Sky Sports News instead of watching the local Fox Sports News...also has to do with the money Sky are charging for things like their great EPL coverage and for services like Sky Sports News...Sky Sports News worked great in Australia I think in 2005 when Fox Sports News would be on 6 am to midnight then Sky Sports News(with all the live breaking overnight news) would be on midnight to 6 am...Sky Sports News here each night for 6 hours would surely be better than Fox Sports News just running the same pretaped packages over and over.

Thank god for the internet, and for international cable sports news shows like CNN World Sport, and Sky News UK Sport Reports, BBC World News Sport Today, and to Eurosport News channel...as I really am not interested in AFL and rugby league at all, and unfortunately Fox Sports News Sports bulletins and FTA Sports news bulletins including One's Sports Tonight are just too top heavy with AFL and rugby league news...I even prefer ESPN USA sports bulletins over the local sports news in Australia as they have no AFL and rugby league...also interesting is that ESPN Australia sport bulletins every night at 6:30 pm are AFL and rugby league free pretty much which surprises me, and so I watch that most nights, its pretty good...ESPN Aust programming has improved alot in my opinion, but I think they need to bring ESPN2 to Foxtel for more live programming, and also ESPN News channel for things like live Sportscenter.

With ESPN Aust I once wasn't that keen on their ESPN Soccernet Press Pass but have found it has improved alot, and surprisingly ESPN put more effort into their regualr Premier League, European football and World football via Presspass than Fox Sports do which I never thought I would see...Presspass is on 5 nights a week(sometimes 7 nights a week) whereas Fox only have one wrapup show per week as well as live broadcasts)but as I've already said for most of the EPL season that pretty much don't bother with in studio presentation and just go with the world feed).

One thing which would be great - if Fox Sports ever get the pay TV champions league rights in Australia instead of ESPN, they would likely go with the full Sky Sports coverage which would be great to see...with the SBS coverage of the champions league it was good to see last season for many games they were using the world feed commentary which is actually the Sky Sports commentators, and I hope that continues.

I'm a Man Utd fan and a big fan of Sky Sports and in particular the commentary of Andy Gray with Martin Tyler, so whenever Gray and Tyler call a Man Utd game on Sky Sports I just watch it on an internet stream to get the best commentary and full coverage available.

OK so that sounds like pretty good quality SD - so around 2 gig per EPL match.

I'm only on a 20 gig internet plan, so the lower quality streams are around 500 mb to 1 gig per match which is good.

For me a lower quality version with great full in studio Sky Sports presentation and commentary via the internet is more enjoyable than the Foxtel generic EPL world feed coverage.

For me a lower quality version with great full in studio Sky Sports presentation and commentary via the internet is more enjoyable than the Foxtel generic EPL world feed coverage.

Maybe you should take a look at the Foxtel sports HD package, and see how much football is availble on fox sports HD,1,2,3, ESPN HD theres a huge amount of football to watch this season and in fantastic HD, i could not give this up so i can here pundits verdicts before during and after the game, what goes on on the pitch is what i pay foxtel for, i can get plenty of pre match and after match info via the web, soccer AM, football focus etc are programes i watch regually, MLS, champions leauge, carling cup, championship, and this weekend EPL, and all in HD, give me this any day over Andy Gray & com :D (he used to be a neighbour of mine back in the days when he played for the villa)

Edited by Ozivillan

Thank god for the internet, and for international cable sports news shows like CNN World Sport, and Sky News UK Sport Reports, BBC World News Sport Today, and to Eurosport News channel...as I really am not interested in AFL and rugby league at all, and unfortunately Fox Sports News Sports bulletins and FTA Sports news bulletins including One's Sports Tonight are just too top heavy with AFL and rugby league news..

i've been hoping for a football news show that would combine the local and international leagues. As u mention fox sports news covers football but its buried in their bulletin. Some days i'll record and fast forward thru to the football.

But really with the amount of news around it'd be dead easy for them to do a daily show just on football. Especially when u look at press pass and even fox sports fc which is weekly, the panel stuff they do would be ideal for a daily show on fsn. And repackaging the interviews they do on long lunch with the (albeit buried) reports they already have on the a-league.

always thought the whole point of pay tv and even a sports news channel is to appeal to specific audiences. FSN seem to expect everyone to want to watch all sports.

Edited by mosblk

Everyone has their likes and dislikes...I have the Fox Sports SD package, but I prefer full Sky Sports presentation and commentary from the host broadcaster via the internet for games that are covered by Sky Sports, and obviously Fox Sports world feed for the 5 live red button 3pm games.

For me, during October to April...virtually the whole season during the Australian daylight saving months, there is basically no in studio presentation at all from Fox Sports for EPL(or maybe a quick intro preview then saying goodbye before the Sat 11:45 pm game, sometimes a Sun night game if it is a big 4 game) as the presenters and pundits would rather be sleeping or doing anything other than sitting in a studio until sunrise, especially on a Sat night...for me its pure laziness, you either cover something properly or not at all...when Fox Sports do actually do in studio presentation it has way too much of a 'Footy Show' vibe - its a bit cheesy, and the presenters and pundits apart from Simon Hill and Robbie Slater are just not that great...I don't think they even used Simon Hill for EPL presenting last season which is a waste of his talent in my opinion...compared to the brilliance of a Sky Sports live football broadcast it is pretty poor...presenters saying goodbye at halftime or even just before kickoff is laughable and you would not see SBS ever leaving the presentation early due to it being too early in the morning, and being past their bedtime.

Australians deserve to have the full Sky Sports studio presentation and commentary like what happened in late 1990's and early 2000's...the reason why Australians no longer get the great Sky games anymore? Fox Sports want to put their own 'stamp' on the EPL, and want to save money by not paying the amount Sky want...you would think Fox Sports could get a decent package combining the Championship, Carling Cup and Premier League from Sky Sports, as they already take the Sky Carling Cup and Championship coverage.

So I will continue to enjoy EPL non-Sky Sports matches via the generic world feed on Fox Sports, Championship Sky games on Fox Sports, Carling Cup Sky games on Fox Sports, FA Cup on the internet, Internationals on the internet, Sky Sports EPL on the internet, and Sky Sports Champions League matches on the internet.

This coming Tuesday morning at 4am Sydney time for the Man Utd v Newcastle match, the incredible magical tune 'Absurd' (Whitewash Mix) by Fluke (which features in the video promo in my first post of this thread)will be flowing out of my internet speakers with one of the brilliant Sky Sports video intros that really get you in the mood filling the computer screen which will begin the first Monday Night Football live broadcast of the season from Sky, with kickoff at 5 am Sydney time, an hour later...for those who have enjoyed Sky Sports Monday Night Football broadcasts in past years, I'm sure there will be some excitement with it coming back for this season, especially the one hour buildup featuring a look back at the weekend games with analysis in studio from Richard Keys and Andy Gray...I'm also very much looking forward to the commentary of the great Martin Tyler for the majority of the Saturday lunchtime and Super Sunday EPL games and Champions League games on Sky, he should again be their number one for most of the big games...Sky Sports are so great at showcasing football, and I'm really looking forward to their football coverage this season.

Edited by yeah

.the reason why Australians no longer get the great Sky games anymore? Fox Sports want to put their own 'stamp' on the EPL, and want to save money by not paying the amount Sky want..

I think you hit the nail on the head there, theres also time constraints, if i remember monday night football used to run for 3+hours, add this to the amount of other matches that fox sports now cover and it would take up a fair chunk of there schedule, and as it is a sports channel you do have to cater for a everyone, i'd be happy to pay extra for Sky sports football HD coverage, but happy with what i have at the moment, also hoping that Fox sports transmit the games in 3D when sky sports 3D is offically launched in october in the UK

Edited by Ozivillan

Fox Sports could easily show the full Sky Sports Monday Night Football broadcast if they wanted to, as starting at 4 or 4:55 am is no big thing...remember when Fox Sports covered the full length Sky Sports broadcasts in the late 1990s and early 2000s that there was only one, or maybe two Fox Sports channels depending on the year...now there are 3 Fox Sports channels with overflow channels whenever necessary on Fox Sports News OR Main Event OR Fuel TV(they have even used Adults Only for this purpose in the past!), and red button viewers choice is available, so an extra hours buildup is no reason or excuse not to show the full coverage.

This Tuesday morning for Man Utd v Newcastle...Sydney times...5 am kickoff...

Fox Sports...generic world feed, no in studio presentation before the match, or at half time or after the match, with no manager or player interviews whatsoever...coverage time 4:55 to 7 am

I will be watching on the internet...Sky Sports...full live presentation including one hour buildup including live interviews with both managers, half time and post match analysis and interviews with both managers and some players...coverage time 4 to 7:30 am

My one and only issue with the EPL coverage on Fox Sports is their reluctance to show the five viewers choice games later in the day.

Having to work on Sunday, it's hard for me to sit up to click the red button at 2am. <_<

I think it's time they:

a - replayed all their viewers choice games the next day

and/or

B - allow viewers choice games to be recorded to IQ. That would be even better :D

I cannot understand why they do not have all games replayed?

Can anyone shed any light on why they refuse to replay those games?

Edited by Aussie Villan

Can anyone shed any light on why they refuse to replay those games?

You can thank AFL and rugby league for that.

Also the contract may only allow them to air the 3pm Sat games live on viewers choice and not replayed as well, but that is just a guess, but its more likely that on a Sunday:

Fox Sports 1 (aka AFL channel) and Fox Sports 2 (aka Rugby League channel) are unavailable

and Fox Sports 3 has a variety of sports to show.

I loved the days when Fox Sports did not have AFL and rugby league, as they then had much more flexibility for all the international sport.

One thing I find annoying on Fox Sports is the promo popups at the bottom of the screen...you could have the winning putt of a major about to happen and then up will come a promo for AFL or rugby league...this taints the quality of the event, is disrespectful to the event itself, the organizers of the event, and the fans who pay good money to watch...sports fans know when their favourite sports are on and also have the EPG, the internet, and the magazine to check when things are on...in terms of promos I'm sure there is already enough TVCs airing to promote everything, as every time ads are running its either a rugby league or AFL commercial...another thing, I will not be getting the Fox Sports HD package no matter how many times 'Upgrade to HD' pops up in the Fox Sports ident during a live broadcast and it is totally unnecessary...people who record sports events to watch at a later date don't want any of this on the screen(apart from the Fox Sports ident) as it should be a clean broadcast the way the host broadcaster intended it to be seen...just like on Foxtel movie channels which are clean with just the movie being shown and without promos popping up, the same should be the case for a live sporting event in my opinion.

Interesting program update for Fox Sports -

Before the Ars v Liv game on Sunday night which starts at 12:55 am in Sydney, the Sky Sports show Soccer AM is scheduled for midnight Sydney time

It will be on a 29 hour delay though as it is live at 10 am on Sat in England, which is Sat night 7 pm in Sydney

Good to see the show come to Fox Sports, hopefully on a regular basis, and hopefully it may even be shown live in the coming months, but this Sunday night I will be watching the Super Sunday Sky Sports premiership buildup before the first big 4 clash of the season on the internet

Edited by yeah

Interesting program update for Fox Sports -

Before the Ars v Liv game on Sunday night which starts at 12:55 am in Sydney, the Sky Sports show Soccer AM is scheduled for midnight Sydney time

my planner shows it airing earlier at 9.00am sunday morning fox sports 1 (adelaide) love skill school