Flash Forward Not Hd On 7hd?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh you are kidding? Grrr.... I mean, ditching the breakaway is one thing (but most of the breakaway stuff lately has been 4:3/SD upscaled) but I thought the ditching of breakaway would mean all the good stuff I love on SD would be HD if they source it as that.. At least it was on the HD channel, as that is the one I recorded (haven't had a chance to watch it yet)...

It was always scheduled as widescreen only aka not in HD. Same for Mercy, was that not shown in HD also?

Does anyone know if these two were filmed in HD or were they both actually SD only? If not in HD, then that is really poor form from ABC (US).

Edited by cpandilo

From what I remember, anything widescreen in the US (in television/cable) is HD. They didn't have a 16:9 SD standard like the rest of the world did, apart from DVD.....

Of course, this is probably very wrong, but I read it on dtvforum, so it must be fact :-).

Very poor quality PQ ,found the SD channel was better than the HD..and all they did was spoil all the commercials they jammed in...and all those f@#$ing banners..I have to agree with one of the posters here that HD, the way it seems to be heading, is looking like it will be one of the biggest cons ever perpetrated on the Australian public...

Edited by Topdog

Very poor quality PQ ,found the SD channel was better than the HD..and all they did was spoil all the commercials they jammed in...and all those f@#$ing banners..I have to agree with one of the posters here that HD, the way it seems to be heading, is looking like it will be one of the biggest cons ever perpetrated on the Australian public...

As more and more 1080 x 1920p HDTV sets get sold in Australia, there are fewer and fewer hours of actual native HD being transmitted.

A very sad state of affairs.

First it was watered down to 1080 x 1440i.

What's the bet that it will degrade to 720p (poorly deinterlaced from 1080i internally at the networks), then right down to 576p 'ED' in order to fit all the proposed low bitrate SD channels in.

Craig.

HD TV in Australia is going to prove to be the biggest CON ever perpetrated on the Australian Public.

Retailers telling us you must have "True HD" gear, then the only stuff that's transmitted is pretend HD or 720 at best.

What crap!

Write to the bozo's that are in charge of communication in Canberra!.

Here is Bozo's email address.It just makes me mad the way this is going,down the shitter.

minister@dbcde.gov.au

Paul.

Edited by Paul_

No 7HD logo here it was the same logo as the SD channel and the same PQ as the SD channel.

Seems to be broadcast here at the same time as the on in the USA not three weeks behind.

Edited by mwd

Channel 7 really are stupid

Last night, Packed to the Rafters was on 7HD

All Saints, which immediately follows it, wasn't

By the time you realise that the show you were expecting to be on isn't

You've already missed the beginning of the show on the SD channel

Some consistency would be nice

OK, consistency?

Fasttrack vs HD. Pick one.

CK.

Why pick one? They're certainly not mutually exclusive. :huh:

Live sport can be broadcast in HD around the world. That pretty much ends any argument about Fasttrack or HD right there.

Edited by dunnas

Yes a choice of fast track vs HD doesn't need to be made. HD can arrive in Australia and anywhere else for that matter in plenty of time so I don't see the point in that statement. I also don't see the point in 7 paying rights to something and then showing an SD upscaled version? Surely they don't get it cheaper?

Yes a choice of fast track vs HD doesn't need to be made. HD can arrive in Australia and anywhere else for that matter in plenty of time so I don't see the point in that statement. I also don't see the point in 7 paying rights to something and then showing an SD upscaled version? Surely they don't get it cheaper?

I think you have might have hit the nail on the head with the SD version being cheaper for them to purchase and then upscale.

I think most people who are getting upset with FTA HD have bought TVs with 1920X1080 native resolution and the TV is not scaling the 1440X1080 as well as they expect it too. Foxtel picture quality is good but crap programing and repeats is still crap programing and repeats even if broadcast in HD.

Regards

Debruis

I've had a question stuck in my head for a while. How is the content delivered to the networks in Australia from the US? Is it via satellites like live sport and the network records it or do they download it via the internet from the producers.

I've had a question stuck in my head for a while. How is the content delivered to the networks in Australia from the US? Is it via satellites like live sport and the network records it or do they download it via the internet from the producers.

I wonder this too.

I wonder this too.

It's still tape in most cases. HD-CAM or HD-CAM SR for HD delivery, Digital Betacam for SD delivery, but there are increasing moves to have file-based delivery of programmes, both HD & SD.

The 'Fast Tracked' programmes are played in LA on a HD (or SD) tape machine, encoded to MPEG 2 at around 30 M/Bits/sec (or whatever codec the station prefers), then fed via optical fiber into Australia, decoded and recorded back to HD tape (or maybe into a server). It's real-time.

Craig.

It's still tape in most cases. HD-CAM or HD-CAM SR for HD delivery, Digital Betacam for SD delivery, but there are increasing moves to have file-based delivery of programmes, both HD & SD.

The 'Fast Tracked' programmes are played in LA on a HD (or SD) tape machine, encoded to MPEG 2 at around 30 M/Bits/sec (or whatever codec the station prefers), then fed via optical fiber into Australia, decoded and recorded back to HD tape (or maybe into a server). It's real-time.

Craig.

So they use optical fibre links from the US. Since they're usually several days behind the US, wouldn't it be cheaper to fly the tapes out?

So they use optical fibre links from the US. Since they're usually several days behind the US, wouldn't it be cheaper to fly the tapes out?

Too risky. What if the tape gets lost, or delayed in Customs?

The tape still gets sent over to Australia, but only after the HD fibre playout from LA.

Craig.