"breaking In" New Speakers And Avr

Turn the bastard up to 11

the onkyo needs nothing to get it going.

The speakers will improve subtley over time as the loosen up, but you can't hurt them as the Onkyo isn't powerful enough unless you crank the pre amp up to +15 dB and play them on full...even then you would struggle to hurt your speakers

Did I mention to it up to 11?

but you can't hurt them as the Onkyo isn't powerful enough unless you crank the pre amp up to +15 dB and play them on full...even then you would struggle to hurt your speakers

Trying to drive speakers (at high volume) with an underpowered amp is more dangerous than with a more powerful amp*.

Are you going to pay to replace his blown drivers when he turns the volume up to the suggested level and clipping causes them to blow?

*I am not suggesting the amp in question is underpowered, but I'd be wary of following advice on a forum saying "crank to bastard to max, you can't hurt your speakers"

the onkyo needs nothing to get it going.

The speakers will improve subtley over time as the loosen up, but you can't hurt them as the Onkyo isn't powerful enough unless you crank the pre amp up to +15 dB and play them on full...even then you would struggle to hurt your speakers

Did I mention to it up to 11?

it's actually with under-powered amplifiers cranked right up that you are most likely to damage speakers. Reason for this is that as you drive a low-end low power amp up high it starts to 'clip' inducing tweeter destroying distortion into the audio. Much better to have a 150watt amp powering 100 watt speakers than the other way around.

To the OP, your speakers will most likely start to sound audibly different after many hours of use, particularly in the lower bass frequencys. And cranking your Onk amp up to full boar to try to wear them in would be ill-advised.

Cheers,

Drew

Edit: Andrew beat me to it.....................

Edited by roxy29

So I've just picked up an Onkyo 606 and a Mission 5.1 set.

Does the equipment need a "break in" period where you run the set up at say 50% for the first few days?

Is there anything special i should do for the first X amount of hours?

Thanks.

The Onk needs no run in, and your speakers don't NEED run in either. But as others have said they wil loosen up. If you really want them to be at their best as soon as possible, stick something with good bass,mids and highs(a good variety) in your CD/DVD and put it on repeat. Set the volume on the Onk to something that isn't going to anoy anyone and let it play for about 4 days.

Obviously if you're home you can change the CD, if you're in bed you might want to turn it off.

It doesn't have to be loud, just keep the drivers moving. Most speakers should be run in after about 100-150 hours i'd imagine.