[eoi] - Samsung 50" P9 Group Buy

I'm getting the impression Myers has better buying power and therfore a better "cost price" or the price drop has yet to filter thru to the other retailers (or they're not willing to pass it on).

I think you're right. I also found it quite telling that they reduced the price of the TV significantly, but they kept the price of the 5 yrs warranty at $539.

• Replies 595
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you're right. I also found it quite telling that they reduced the price of the TV significantly, but they kept the price of the 5 yrs warranty at $539.

The Myer receipt I have is for 3 yrs warranty at $189, which is $63/yr and I'd expect this to start on expiry of the manufacturers warranty - giving 5 yrs total. Wherever I buy, I'll get them to confirm it is an extension to the manufacturers wty, rather than in conjunction - I know how slippery retailers can be when it comes time to claim.

I honestly can't see how Myer could sell more TV's (in Melbourne anyway), than GG. Perhaps they get better pricing on the basis of their advertising commitment, rather than actual sales volume. GG advertising is always a bit tacky and much more limited by comparison to Myer. Regardless, it seems Myer are more likely to go for a price match than GG

The Myer receipt I have is for 3 yrs warranty at $189, which is $63/yr and I'd expect this to start on expiry of the manufacturers warranty - giving 5 yrs total. Wherever I buy, I'll get them to confirm it is an extension to the manufacturers wty, rather than in conjunction - I know how slippery retailers can be when it comes time to claim.

I honestly can't see how Myer could sell more TV's (in Melbourne anyway), than GG. Perhaps they get better pricing on the basis of their advertising commitment, rather than actual sales volume. GG advertising is always a bit tacky and much more limited by comparison to Myer. Regardless, it seems Myer are more likely to go for a price match than GG

I have a similar receipt and I think you might find that that is a total of 3 years warranty, Myer takes into account the existing Samsung 2 year warranty plus one their additional year for $189. I got the 5 year Myer warranty for $528 (Not Cheap!) and that is basically covering you for an additional 3 years after Samsungs has expired...

I have a similar receipt and I think you might find that that is a total of 3 years warranty, Myer takes into account the existing Samsung 2 year warranty plus one their additional year for $189. I got the 5 year Myer warranty for $528 (Not Cheap!) and that is basically covering you for an additional 3 years after Samsungs has expired...

Agreed. The Myer (gold) warranty is for an additional 3 yrs. So the total is 5 yrs.

And once again, let me reiterate -- in a few weeks someone will find a Myer price for even less than $2461. The price will keep coming down. But at the end of the day we are all getting a fantastic high-quality 50" Full-HD Plasma TV (plus a nice little 26" TV) for a great price.

I'm getting the impression Myers has better buying power and therfore a better "cost price" or the price drop has yet to filter thru to the other retailers (or they're not willing to pass it on).

When I purchased mine last week - the Myer 'on floor cost' was something like $2714. I know this probably isn't their actual cost price.

I think they are more like drones - who 'have to' match prices (with their Managers approval) from other Myer stores. I didn't hear the conversation but my sales guys managers would have shrugged his shoulders and said - oh well, if they did it, we can, better get a photocopy of that just incase...

Anyway, my wait continues.

gibby157

When I purchased mine last week - the Myer 'on floor cost' was something like $2714. I know this probably isn't their actual cost price.

I think they are more like drones - who 'have to' match prices (with their Managers approval) from other Myer stores. I didn't hear the conversation but my sales guys managers would have shrugged his shoulders and said - oh well, if they did it, we can, better get a photocopy of that just incase...

Anyway, my wait continues.

gibby157

I've heard that their "cost price" on their computer is $2719 but according to grphone it's more like $2400 which explains why people are still getting it below their computer "cost price".

But at the end of the day we are all getting a fantastic high-quality 50" Full-HD Plasma TV (plus a nice little 26" TV) for a great price.

it wont be at the end of THIS DAY though :(

- and i'll hold out hope of seeing my 26in around end of April/May at this stage !!!

I agree, then again I don't believe in extended warranty....unless it's free :D

Amex Platinum extends your warranty to 3 years, which overlaps your Myers warranty. Not all extended warranties are the same. Plenty of threads on extended warranty...very interesting reading.

At least you get 5 years piece of mind...

regular Amex Platinum credit cards don't offer any extended warranty

Amex Platinum charge cards do (i believe)

i've only got the Platinum credit card

Edited by Stooge007

Have been keeping an eye on the forum and was hoping to obtain a copy of the following receipts or just the order number on the top right or left hand side - Myer Northland $2537 or Myer Sydney $2461. Already have the Hurstville one. Copies of these would be greatly appreciated.

My email is: imbizee@yahoo.com.au

I've heard that their "cost price" on their computer is $2719 but according to grphone it's more like $2400 which explains why people are still getting it below their computer "cost price".

Well, I tried again today to buy the P9 50" in Melbourne. Myer was the LEAST competitive price, so I doubt their buying power had anything to do with pricing others achieved.

My experience summarised:

Good Guys Nunawading - approx $3000 including 5 yr wty. Approx $2700 TV, plus $300 wty ETA two weeks

Harvey Norman Chadstone $2900 for TV, ETA 2 weeks

Retravision Mt Wvly, couldn't come close to $2536 and said they adivsed against ordering as delivery is at least 6 weeks. I then asked about Panasonic and they can do the 508A for $3200, hope to have stock in next few days.

Myer Xnox - spoke to Joseph, who reckons he is famous on the dtvforums. He looked at other Myer recpt and said he'd try to match it, said it was very close and went to mgr for approval - could not meet price but said he'd see how close he could get - came back with $3200 (on my planet $3200 is nowhere close to $2536). Joseph also said that the 3 yr warranty should be over 4200, not $289. Didn't sound keen for my business and

Harvey Norman Xnox - $2880, ETA 2 weeks. They said that I should head to Myer and get a price match as this is below cost price.

So - can anyone please, please point me at a Melbourne store that has sold these TV's for $2536 and ideally send me a copy of the recpt. (emckissock@yahoo.com)

At the moment, I'm either going to get a Panny, or buy the Samsung from digitalcentre.

Hi all,

Sorry, I've been away for the past few days. If you're looking for a price match please tell them specifically to call the TV/HomeEnt Manager HAMID at Myer City Sydney -- he approved the total price of $3k inc 5 yrs warranty. That was $2461 for the TV and $539 for the 5yr plan. (delivery was an extra $35). If you tell them the specific person to call at Myer City Sydney they will do it (also the salesperson's name was ARIF).

I will try to put the receipt up on the board early next week. Sorry for the delay.

Rgds,

grphone

Well I've been looking to buy this TV for a while now and the best i could do was at 2 places...

Myer Sydney City and then JB-Hifi in Miranda

Myer did the deal for

TV + 3yr Wnty + Deliv. = $2741

JB-Hifi,

Said no at first. that was until I walked out the store and the manager then came after and me and said yes to $2700.

But! They would not deliver for that price. to include delivery they wanted to charge an extra $80.

Well, I tried again today to buy the P9 50" in Melbourne. Myer was the LEAST competitive price, so I doubt their buying power had anything to do with pricing others achieved.

My experience summarised:

Good Guys Nunawading - approx $3000 including 5 yr wty. Approx $2700 TV, plus $300 wty ETA two weeks

Harvey Norman Chadstone $2900 for TV, ETA 2 weeks

Retravision Mt Wvly, couldn't come close to $2536 and said they adivsed against ordering as delivery is at least 6 weeks. I then asked about Panasonic and they can do the 508A for $3200, hope to have stock in next few days.

Myer Xnox - spoke to Joseph, who reckons he is famous on the dtvforums. He looked at other Myer recpt and said he'd try to match it, said it was very close and went to mgr for approval - could not meet price but said he'd see how close he could get - came back with $3200 (on my planet $3200 is nowhere close to $2536). Joseph also said that the 3 yr warranty should be over 4200, not $289. Didn't sound keen for my business and

Harvey Norman Xnox - $2880, ETA 2 weeks. They said that I should head to Myer and get a price match as this is below cost price.

So - can anyone please, please point me at a Melbourne store that has sold these TV's for $2536 and ideally send me a copy of the recpt. (emckissock@yahoo.com)

At the moment, I'm either going to get a Panny, or buy the Samsung from digitalcentre.

Hi,

Same here as above,

Tried HN Taylors Lakes - said if I could get the myer 2537 price then get a truck load for him also.

Myer Northland - Cannot see anyone buying at that price from here.

GG Essenden DFO - Were not interested in me, no one came to ask any questions too.

Again, anyone in melbourne who can point me to the right store and send me a melbourne receipt around $2600. rk_pv@yahoo.com

Thanks

Hi,

Same here as above,

Tried HN Taylors Lakes - said if I could get the myer 2537 price then get a truck load for him also.

Myer Northland - Cannot see anyone buying at that price from here.

GG Essenden DFO - Were not interested in me, no one came to ask any questions too.

Again, anyone in melbourne who can point me to the right store and send me a melbourne receipt around $2600. rk_pv@yahoo.com

Thanks

Try Ebay, for that sort of price, you can get a REPAIRED one!.

From my research, the wholesale buy in price is $2680. <_<

Try Ebay, for that sort of price, you can get a REPAIRED one!.

From my research, the wholesale buy in price is $2680. <_<

So how are people buying around 2600-2700 price range? And where did you find the wholesale price? If you are not prepared to help at least don't be sarcastic.

So how are people buying around 2600-2700 price range? And where did you find the wholesale price? If you are not prepared to help at least don't be sarcastic.

You should be able to get at least $2799 which is the ticketed price at Digital Centre in St Albans.

http://www.digitalcentre.com.au/p/398107/s...-plasma-tv.html

I would try Myer as they seem to have a lower "cost price".

BTW I wouldn't get a TV from E bay considering all the warranty issues people are having.

You should be able to get at least $2799 which is the ticketed price at Digital Centre in St Albans.

http://www.digitalcentre.com.au/p/398107/s...-plasma-tv.html

I would try Myer as they seem to have a lower "cost price". I don't know what the wholesale price is but it's definitely not $2680 cos Sydneysiders are getting it for $2537 and that's a fact!

BTW I wouldn't get a TV from E bay considering all the warranty issues people are having.

I've put a deposit on the 50" P9 at Myer for $2741 and once i pay it off (in about 2 weeks) and they give me my full receipt. I'll be happy to let people use a copy of my receipt for reference.

How did you arrive at that conclusion??? :angry2:

Sydneysiders are getting it for $2537 and that's a fact! perhaps, how many, Ive seen one !.

Edited by colindale

I finally bought one today (it's on backorder though) at The Good Guys Nunawading. Price paid $2761 + $289 to extend wty to 5 yrs.

Basically I caught a salesman who was passing and asked for the guy I spoke to earlier in the week, but he was off sick.

I said the previous salesman offered me a price of around $3050 for panel with 5 yrs wty and that I'd not taken it because Myer seemed cheaper, but I'd since found out the Myer price only came to 3 years wty in total.

He went and chatted to manager and came back to say their best price was $3079, but they'd honour the $3050 price.

If you are in any retail store and ask for a price that is way below their ticketed price, the first thing they usuallly do is go the their computer and check what price they are allowed to sell for. If you look over their shoulder, you can usually see their 'buy price', but you may need to be quick and a bit lucky to find it on their screen.

How did you arrive at that conclusion??? :angry2:

Sydneysiders are getting it for $2537 and that's a fact! perhaps, how many, Ive seen one !.

Dr Zoidberg got his for $2537, grphone got his for $2461 plus 5 years warranty ($539) just to name a few. If you read the threads you'll find more who have had the $2537 receipt matched.

Now isn't that fact?

Edited by Geoff888