Samsung La32r81bd

No fast images do NOT always look crap on an LCD, I do a whole lot of FPS gaming, with very fast motion and it doesn't blur at all, and I am very picky about this. What I have noticed on my r81 is that if it has to upscale alot (as it would with sd dvd over component, or SBS "HD") and you have all the image "enhancements" turned on it looks smeary and blurry and a bit crap. Once you fiddle with the setting, turn off or down many of the image processing options, especially the noise reduction, and feed it a nice 720p or 1080i signal over hdmi or vga, this smeary blurriness goes away.

As a note, yes, in a side by side comparison with other display tech an LCD may not handle fast motion as well, and this is inherent to the LCD technology, but it is certainly much better than it used to be. I mainly use my 32" r81 for gaming using an Xbox 360 or PC via component or VGA at or close to native res, and the 8ms response time handles some very fast motion just fine, but if you watch alot of broadcast sport, especially at SD, then yeah it won't look so hot.

I would agree with that 100%.

I connected my PC to the Samsung 32" r81 today and was shocked at how good the quality was. Even the dvd that had motion blur (running on the LG DVD player) were crystal clear when i played them through the PC.

There is a lot to be said for the cable or type of connection you are using. I am slowly working this out.

The next step is to buy a better DVD player. I might look into a recorder. Cant wait to try HDMI.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi All. Since I can't start a new topic I'll add to this one. I recently bought a Samsung LA32R81BD and love the picture. However the really really annoying thing I get is that when I turn the set on for the first 15 minutes or so the MTV reception will just cut out. Looking at the signal information when this happens the bit error level goes to 10 - normally there is non. At first I thought this was HD reception problem, however it happens on all DTV channels. I also have a SD set top box (from before I bought the HD TV) and if I have the SD set top box and the TV on the same SD channel, when the TV cuts out the set top box continues on fine. The signal strength on both doesn't change and is quite high.

I have had the TV looked at by a service man and they found no problems while it was in their shop for 2 days. And typically, when he arrived at my place the TV worked without fault for 15 minutes! Like I said I usually get this when I turn the TV on so I also thought that perhaps it is a temperature thing and that is why it works fine after being on for some time. And also why it worked when the service man was here because it was around 1500 on a warmish day - usually I watch TV at night and it is cool inside when I get home from work. However I have noticed the TV cutting out after it has been on for an 1 hour or so sometimes longer but then it only does it a couple of times.

The service place also tried it in the morning and no problems. They also told me they had looked at a couple of other TVs with the same problem (same model) but in their shop also no problems. They think it is the environment it is in!? I don't think so.

Has anyone experienced this problem? This is driving me crazy and thinking I wasted my money.

What I have noticed on my r81 is that if it has to upscale alot (as it would with sd dvd over component, or SBS "HD") and you have all the image "enhancements" turned on it looks smeary and blurry and a bit crap. Once you fiddle with the setting, turn off or down many of the image processing options, especially the noise reduction, and feed it a nice 720p or 1080i signal over hdmi or vga, this smeary blurriness goes away.

Thanks for your comments blackreqiuem.

Do mind on elaborating on which settings you have changed to get the improvement on sd/sbs, etc?

Hey guys,

I have a Samsung LA32R71 which I absolutely love, but I am having a few sound issues.

I know they have pretty poor speakers to start with however I am still having a couple of problems.

1. The volume when I watch TV is really poor.. Even on full volume its really not that loud at all. However when I play games, or watch DVDs the volume is much louder. Is this normal?

2. Occassionally when I turn my TV on the sound is really crackly.. almost sounds like a blown speaker. If i turn the set off then on again it usually fixes it, but yeah its still annoying me that something might be wrong with the speakers.

The TV is still under warranty so if there is something wrong I want to get it fixed ASAP.

Any help/advice much appreciated.

Thanks very much guys :)

Hey guys.

I'm thinking of buying a Samsung 32'' R81 tommorow. I've found a store wanting 1500 for it.

But, I'm a bit concerned about some things:

1. Smearing. I hear watching sport like AFL is quite irritating, as a result of the slow refresh rate. I was wondering, from your personal experiences, how troublesome this problem really is?

2. It sounds like a **** to set-up and get the best possible PQ. That true?

Thanks guys.

Hey guys.

I'm thinking of buying a Samsung 32'' R81 tommorow. I've found a store wanting 1500 for it.

But, I'm a bit concerned about some things:

1. Smearing. I hear watching sport like AFL is quite irritating, as a result of the slow refresh rate. I was wondering, from your personal experiences, how troublesome this problem really is?

2. It sounds like a **** to set-up and get the best possible PQ. That true?

Thanks guys.

I have one and can't notice any smearing at all. The trick to it is not to have it set at dynamic brightness. Look, I know how to calibrate the setting but for someone who cant then just set it to Normal brightness and you will be very happy with it.

Dont worry about refresh rate because with a 80cm screen the motion blur is very hard to detect.

Great TV, I recomend it, along with Pana 32"700a

Hi Guys,

Just purcahsed the LA32R81, very very happy with it, much better than the previous model imo. One quick query, connected my pc to the set but get nothing. All the screen displays is mode not supported. Am i doing something wrong?.

Sorry guys, sorted it out, had to adjust screen resolution on pc. Now im even more impressed with tv. $1599.00 from ebay by the way, with free 3 day delivery to Tasmania.

hi there guys, I've just purchase myself a samsung 40 inch R8 LCD and i seem to have a little problem, thought you guys can help me out a little. Well when i tried to watch any of the DTV channels the sound would sometime go off and then on, or it would make this loud buzzing sound. It only happens with DTV as there was no problem with my 360 or ps3. Any help would be great.

hi there guys, I've just purchase myself a samsung 40 inch R8 LCD and i seem to have a little problem, thought you guys can help me out a little. Well when i tried to watch any of the DTV channels the sound would sometime go off and then on, or it would make this loud buzzing sound. It only happens with DTV as there was no problem with my 360 or ps3. Any help would be great.

Go back into the D menu and do another channel scan and see if that clears it up.

Weird question but:

My nephew tried wiping a spec of dirt off the screen the other day with his finger, and now on the screen is like a white smudge mark where his finger was. It seems to have made like a clouding issue, as now you can easily see this spot on the screen what playing games, especially dark games like Bioshock and The Darkness. Is there a way to clean the screen and maybe remove this mark? I am scared to use a cloth (be it dry or damp) as I don't want to make it worse then it is.

this may sound like a stupid question, but i am new to all this.

will this tv allow me to connect a Ps3, a wii and a dvd recorder at the same time? without having to switch cables around to use different devices?

also, whats afl like on this tv?

this may sound like a stupid question, but i am new to all this.

will this tv allow me to connect a Ps3, a wii and a dvd recorder at the same time? without having to switch cables around to use different devices?

also, whats afl like on this tv?

PS3 via HDMI, Wii and DVD recorder via component inputs (of which there are 2). you should be fine.

if not, you can always connect all 3 to a component input switch box and then switch between the 3, but the way i suggested will be easier.

PS3 via HDMI, Wii and DVD recorder via component inputs (of which there are 2). you should be fine.

if not, you can always connect all 3 to a component input switch box and then switch between the 3, but the way i suggested will be easier.

Cheers mate

I've found a store wanting 1500 for it.

Is it wrong to ask where you found a store wanting $1500 :huh:

Very keen to grab one for the kids to use with the Playstation as a PC monitor but haven't seen it anywhere below $1600 with the exception of eBay.

Thanks ...