New 42" 1080p Sharp Aquos Due End Feb 07

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are ou using for sound, just the TV speakers?

I'm using a cheap logitech surround sound atm utill I save for a digital amp. I'm also saving for a ps3. Does anyone else use their pc with their sharp lcd tv and what setting are you running. I'm having troube with 1080 but its proberly just my graphics card (ati raidon 9600 pro)

Guest foopa
I bought the LC-46PD7X last week we got it for $4250 i think a bargain of a price that was.

Anyway my question is this we set it up and while watching it more so on HDTV and DVD's the skin tones are sometimes purple and shimmery silver/blue color and no matter what setting i put it on its the same, although its not the entire time only certain angles of there faces.

Even while watching a divx cough cough file i had it was the same.

Its connected up using input 1 with the yellow only as sound is going through my hifi system.

any help would be appreciated.

Also a bit off topic, but the forum wont let me start any new topics why is that?

thanx

SSS_Hoon

Greetings to all. Frequent recent guest, but this is my first post...

I also recently purchased a LC-46PD7X. I also share SSS-Hoon's frustration with skin tones on HD broadcasts and DVD's. Everything else is brilliant - I just can't fine-tune the picture to establish a "happy medium" with skin tones, despite hours of trying. Positive tone adjustments do alter the issue, as advised elsewhere in this thread, but tend to introduce some unwanted green. I have noticed that it occurs mainly with images of faces where strong directional light is introduced (frequently used in the moody lighting we see on most crime/drama shows from the US). The problem is very dissapointing, and feel that I've made a poor choice. Perhaps a 50" plasma may have been better...

I've spent over $150.00 on new cables trying to remedy the issue, bypassing my Yamaha reciever completely with incoming video signals to ensure the problem isn't there. I'm running a 4yr old Sanyo DVD player via component video cable. The digital signal comes straight from the aerial into the back of the display. Eventually I'll go PS3, upgrade the amp, run HDMI etc. But not for a decent while.

Any help, advice or assistance would be appreciated. My "better half" suggests that this may be an inherent issue with "large" LCD's accross the board, and that perhaps it's an issue we should just put up with. For four-and-a-half grand, I might be expecting a bit much, but shouldn't it be perfect?

Thanks in anticipation....

Greetings to all. Frequent recent guest, but this is my first post...

I also recently purchased a LC-46PD7X. I also share SSS-Hoon's frustration with skin tones on HD broadcasts and DVD's. Everything else is brilliant - I just can't fine-tune the picture to establish a "happy medium" with skin tones, despite hours of trying. Positive tone adjustments do alter the issue, as advised elsewhere in this thread, but tend to introduce some unwanted green. I have noticed that it occurs mainly with images of faces where strong directional light is introduced (frequently used in the moody lighting we see on most crime/drama shows from the US). The problem is very dissapointing, and feel that I've made a poor choice. Perhaps a 50" plasma may have been better...

I've spent over $150.00 on new cables trying to remedy the issue, bypassing my Yamaha reciever completely with incoming video signals to ensure the problem isn't there. I'm running a 4yr old Sanyo DVD player via component video cable. The digital signal comes straight from the aerial into the back of the display. Eventually I'll go PS3, upgrade the amp, run HDMI etc. But not for a decent while.

Any help, advice or assistance would be appreciated. My "better half" suggests that this may be an inherent issue with "large" LCD's accross the board, and that perhaps it's an issue we should just put up with. For four-and-a-half grand, I might be expecting a bit much, but shouldn't it be perfect?

Thanks in anticipation....

It also may be that the colour is that way and its only now that teh Sharp is showing all the images, warts and all.

As a side issure I have set one up in a broadcast situation and use HDMI in only from full bandwidth HD SDI video. The tint has finished up +1. Yes on some skin tones I do see what you complain of, but its also on our $35K CRTs.

Product recall from goldcoast bulliten, monday, may 28, 2007

sharp lcd television

model no lc42bx5x, lc42gd7x, lc42pd7x

Serial no comencing 610700001 to 705799999 inclusive

Safty issue is a precausautionary mesure because under certain cercumstances a small piece of foam shielding may become free from its mounting and make contact to the power board. This may cause overheating and/or electric shock. It also says please disconect unit at power point.

The contact no is 1800 333 435 between 7am to 7pm. It help to have your model and serial no ready.

My lc42pd7x was taken away for repair this morning and apparently only takes 2 days to fix.

Product recall from goldcoast bulliten, monday, may 28, 2007

sharp lcd television

model no lc42bx5x, lc42gd7x, lc42pd7x

Serial no comencing 610700001 to 705799999 inclusive

Safty issue is a precausautionary mesure because under certain cercumstances a small piece of foam shielding may become free from its mounting and make contact to the power board. This may cause overheating and/or electric shock. It also says please disconect unit at power point.

The contact no is 1800 333 435 between 7am to 7pm. It help to have your model and serial no ready.

My lc42pd7x was taken away for repair this morning and apparently only takes 2 days to fix.

Did they give you a replacement LCD for the time it takes to repair??

• 1 month later...

Since I retired from the Electronics Industry (and TV in particular), I haven't posted anything on this forum because there is so much rubbish amongst the good entries.

Recently my old faithfull 15 yr old Samsung 26" CRT TV decided that it was time for it to also retire. Note that our main display was a JVC projector as well.

So out into the stores to examine the various replacement TVs available. Working out what sized widescreen TV we needed was easy. At the distance that we watch the TV (3.5 m), it was apparent that we would need the highest resolution, Full HD at 1920 x 1080. So the 26" equated to a 46", going from the equivalent of 720x 576 for the 26".

At first the Plasmas were very attractive, because of their deep blacks and strong colours. But then the latest Sony and Sharp LCDs caught my eye. Both had almost the same black levels close up as the plasmas and when considering the normal room lighting that we have in our house, there was no viewable difference. The local Hardly Normal store had all of these showing the same BluRay movie so it was easy to compare them for picture quality. I did go to other stores as well but was more satisfied with the setup at HN for the comparisons.

Apart from the manner in which they had individually been set up by the store staff there were a number of noticeable differences to my tired eyes. By the way I was assured by the young salesman by my left elbow, all were setup on the same test picture from a BluRay test disc. Every one of the seven TVs that I was considering had problems and none had what I would say was "a perfect picture". For example, the Sony LCD had the nicest skin tones but had some problems with motion smear. The Samsung had strong colours but was too harsh in overall colour (as had been my old CRT Samsung). The Panasonic Plasma had noise in the blacks on some scenes that were not present on the LCDs and I couldn't quite say what was wrong with some of the motion scenes but they did not look "right". The Sharp LCD was striking as it was so clear compared to the others. Its skin tones were second only to the Sony and it did not have any motion problems that I could see. I did check how much brightness was in reserve on all of them as that is the problem with the old 26" Samsung - it is getting dim. And all of the LCDs had more in reserve than the best of the plasmas, the Panasonic.

So overall, it came down to a choice between the Sony LCD, Sharp LCD, Panasonic Plasma and the Samsung LCD. The unmentioned remainder, including a nice Hitachi, were out of the race only because it was time to make a choice. Price then was the main factor. And so HN missed out as they could not match the best from the local Retravision (better than JB, Clive Anthony) and even Bing Lee).

I now have an Aquos LC 46PD7X and it is great at home via HDMI. Very very slight visible banding on vertical panning is noticeable now but otherwise no problems.

Now I would not suggest that anyone else necessarily buy the same. It is all quite individual and most of the sets were acceptable to my eyes. This was just my experience.

Incidentally Sharp has a number of assembly factories around the world but all use the same LCD panels and Japanese designs. Sharp also provide their LCD panels to other manufacturers.

Guest EZYHD
Since I retired from the Electronics Industry (and TV in particular), I haven't posted anything on this forum because there is so much rubbish amongst the good entries.

The people here are very helpful to newbies and others and yes sometimes they post silly questions, but you get that in any forum.

So you have done a whole 25 posts here then come back to tell us about your new TV, yet to you, there is to much rubbish on DTV, why bother?.

Some reason you didn't look at the Pioneer Plasma's, I've never heard or seen anyone say a bad thing about them, Pioneer are well known for top service and have a full 5 year "factory warranty". In regard to Sharp service do a google search, but then again I guess you can fix your own?.

...Working out what sized widescreen TV we needed was easy. At the distance that we watch the TV (3.5 m), it was apparent that we would need the highest resolution, Full HD at 1920 x 1080.

-Would you like to give some advice on how you reached this conclusion?

...So the 26" equated to a 46", going from the equivalent of 720x 576 for the 26"

-I’m having a little trouble understanding what is meant here –even when I read your two above sentences together. Would you care to elaborate a little more on what you meant here?

Also, I too was a little surprised you didn't consider the Pioneer amongst the group you evaluated, (although perhaps it may have been ruled out on the basis of price).

PS: Having the second para so long didn't help its readability!

-Would you like to give some advice on how you reached this conclusion?

-I’m having a little trouble understanding what is meant here –even when I read your two above sentences together. Would you care to elaborate a little more on what you meant here?

Also, I too was a little surprised you didn't consider the Pioneer amongst the group you evaluated, (although perhaps it may have been ruled out on the basis of price).

I think he means that if a 26" screen has a resolution of 720x576, then the percentage increase to 46" equates to 1920x1080? However, I've just done a quick calculation and this isn't actually true, so maybe I'm wrong. If I'm not though, some explanation would be helpful, as this isn't a method for determining optimum screen size/resolution vs viewing distance that I've seen before.

Is there that much of a price differential between the 50" Pio and a 46" Sharp? All the 1080p lcds seem to have a premium price simply because they're 1080p.

Guest EZYHD
Is there that much of a price differential between the 50" Pio and a 46" Sharp? All the 1080p lcds seem to have a premium price simply because they're 1080p.

Don't know the price of the Sharp but street $ for the Pio 50" is $3800 currently.

Simple Calculation:

Since the vertical pixels are the most critical:

1080/576 x 26 = 48 therefore a 46 inch TV.

OK, OK I didn't take account of the change from 4:3 to 16:9.

So should have been the above times 3/5x 18.36/9 which gives 59.6 inches. diagonal for the 16:9 TV.

Nevertheless we are happy with a 46".

Regarding the Pioneer, a 46" was not in the HN viewing area. I did see it , and others as well, at other locations and there was nothing there to make me change my mind.

As to postings, any number there is not an indication of anything, worthwhile or otherwise.

The previous posting was just to give another perspective amongst the noise.

• 2 weeks later...

After about 8 months of looking around, we've just bought the LC52PD7x from Myer. Good service, deal wasn't too bad, after all the MyerOne points and interest saved on the interest free card was arranged.

This TV seems to meet about all the criteria we had in mind. Just waiting on delivery now, and need to have it properly installed. Having difficulty buying the correct Sharp Wall bracket (Myer didn't have one listed...neither do Sharp Australia!!)

Of all the TVs we have looked at over the year, this one finally seems to have everything resolved. No banding that anyone REALLY had a problem with, no clouds or snakes. We wanted a Philips with ambilight, but Philips don't seem to be fully engaged in the fast changing world of HDTV.

This one seems to have a very good PQ plus all the right connections. The actual "bells and whistles" department is a little bare, though....no PIP or PAP for instance. It did get a good write up in GoodGearGuide and most people who have actually bought one seem to be pleased. I'll let you know how it goes once it's up and running.

Many thanks to all forum memebers for their help.

Cheers,

Rick

I've noticed the RRP on the Sharp Aquos PD7X LCD's have dropped. Not sure when, but it can't have been too long ago.

LC52PD7X $8799 (was $9399)

LC46PD7X $5499 (was $6299)

LC42PD7X $4399 (was $4999)

Also this is the manual for the 46 and 52inch PD7X models which is handy if you're looking for some extra info on them.

http://www.cleverhome.com.au/user/Sharp-Aq...PD7X-manual.pdf

I've noticed the RRP on the Sharp Aquos PD7X LCD's have dropped. Not sure when, but it can't have been too long ago.

LC52PD7X $8799 (was $9399)

LC46PD7X $5499 (was $6299)

LC42PD7X $4399 (was $4999)

Also this is the manual for the 46 and 52inch PD7X models which is handy if you're looking for some extra info on them.

http://www.cleverhome.com.au/user/Sharp-Aq...PD7X-manual.pdf

purchased the LC42PD7X yesterday (after doing heaps of research) for $3250 - very happy :)

Does anyone know if there is a new Aquos series coming out to Australia soon?

The LC46PD7X (or 42/52 versions) is more or less equivalent of the USA LC46D62U set, and in Feb/March 07 the new (USA model) LC46D92U came out sporting some even better features. Since the 62U took 5 or 6 months to hit Australian shores, I'm guessing the new 92 model will hit us in the next month or two (I hope)

Specs:

1920x1080p panel

450 cd/m2 brightness

176º H x 176º V viewing angle

15,000:1 dynamic contrast

3,000:1 native contrast

4ms response time

5 wavelength back-light system

3x HDMI (1080p inputs)

2 x Component (1080p inputs)

1 x DVI-I (1080p input)

(USA model http://www.sharpusa.com/products/ModelDeta...,1812-,00.html)

I might wait for these instead of the current PD7X series.

Anyone know any more about an Australian release for the new 92U series?

(edit: fixed link)

Edited by svinx

Does anyone know if there is a new Aquos series coming out to Australia soon?

The LC46PD7X (or 42/52 versions) is more or less equivalent of the USA LC46D62U set, and in Feb/March 07 the new (USA model) LC46D92U came out sporting some even better features. Since the 62U took 5 or 6 months to hit Australian shores, I'm guessing the new 92 model will hit us in the next month or two (I hope)

Specs:

1920x1080p panel

450 cd/m2 brightness

176º H x 176º V viewing angle

15,000:1 dynamic contrast

3,000:1 native contrast

4ms response time

5 wavelength back-light system

3x HDMI (1080p inputs)

2 x Component (1080p inputs)

1 x DVI-I (1080p input)

(USA model http://www.sharpusa.com/products/ModelDeta...,1812-,00.html)

I might wait for these instead of the current PD7X series.

Anyone know any more about an Australian release for the new 92U series?

(edit: fixed link)

i completely disagree on some comment regarding waiting for a new product to hit the australian market since by the time this product will be here there will be new ones coming out ... if thats the case you will be kept on waiting and waiting and besides new product will be too dear compare to the ones thats already on the stores. well if thats what those people would like to do just keep on waiting theres nothing wrong with it.... be on the waiting list all your life... thats only my 2 cents opinion... dont take it personally... thanks

• 1 month later...

If I'm wanting to buy an available Australian model of an LCD TV now is the Sharp LC46PD7X with it's 4ms response time for PAL 60Hz signals superior to the Samsung LA46M81BD which has a better dynamic contrast ratio of 15,000 to 1 (and 3 HDMI inputs)?

The other consideration is the panel latency (not response time) for places where audio mixing is done. I know of 2 places that use the Aquos 45" because it has minimal latency, as in lip sync.

Could someone comment further on this concept of panel latency and does anyone know the specs for the current Sharp LC46PD7X model versus the current Samsung LA46M81BD model?