Hitachi 55" (55pd8800ta) Or Pioneer 50"(pdp-507xda)?

hi everyone,

i'm looking for a plasma and i am finally down to two. one being the hitachi 55" (55PD8800TA) and the pioneer 50"(PDP-507XDA), i would like to get everyones opinions on which one will be the better option.

ok what i will be getting is if i get the hitachi is;

- the plasma 55"

-extended warranty

- LG HD STB with HDMI (LST-6100P)

and what i will be getting for the pioneer;

- the plasma 50"

- installation and 5 years warranty already included from pioneer.

- HD STB built in i believe

so let me know your opinions.

thanks in advise for your time and opinions.

Just to cofuse the issue

look at the panasonic 600a 50 before you committ.

My expirence with Hitachi is not good they don't always work ith HDMI connections and that is a real bummer

The pioneer is a good unit I don't have one but yes they are a good Plasma i have a close freind who got one recently,The same time when I got my Pana I may be bias I think the Pana is superior

Cheers

hi everyone,

i'm looking for a plasma and i am finally down to two. one being the hitachi 55" (55PD8800TA) and the pioneer 50"(PDP-507XDA), i would like to get everyones opinions on which one will be the better option.

ok what i will be getting is if i get the hitachi is;

- the plasma 55"

-extended warranty

- LG HD STB with HDMI (LST-6100P)

and what i will be getting for the pioneer;

- the plasma 50"

- installation and 5 years warranty already included from pioneer.

- HD STB built in i believe

so let me know your opinions.

thanks in advise for your time and opinions.

I have a similar query, however it is unlikely I will need a STB in the short term as we mainly watch foxtel (which I understand is in SD). I will however be looking likely to get a HDD/DVR (possibly panasonic).

I have heard very positive comments about both the Hitachi and the Pioneer.

I am leaning towards the Hitachi as I have a big wall and fairly big room to put the TV in and think the extra 5 inches will suit the room. The wall is 4 metres or so wide and we will be sitting about 4 metres back from the TV as well.

Hi, I have just brought the Pioneer, reasonably happy, some judder. I am trying to find out how to minimise that. I didn't consider the Hitachi because of mixed feedback regarding their panels. (I have now read that they may be pulling out of the flat panel market!!! That's a confidence booster!!!) I had a bad experience with a Metz CRT which if it had a 5 year warranty would still have been covered but as when I purchased it only had 3 year......bummer. They now have 5......... so that was the clincher with the Pio. It was worth the premium price.

Cheers, Steve M.

I would recommend Pioneer or perhaps the Panasonic with a 5yr warranty but would not recommend Hitachi due to poor after-sales service/comittment - my 3yr old Hitachi was a problem pretty much since I bought it - I noticed the bad PQ (due to lack of grey scale processing which may no longer be a problem with their latest sets) but neither Hitachi or Harvey Norman wanted to know anything about it...

Anyway I sort of got used to that although the latest Pioneer with it's excellent grey scale count just really shows it up (BTW, the Pio is twice as good as the current Panasonic in this regard and 10 times better than my old Hitachi) but then, just out of warranty the Hitachi started developing columns of bright blue pixels on each side of the screen - the only cure for this problem according to Hitachi service is to replace the actual screen itself so I am sort of stuck with it unless I want to fight Hitachi in the small claims tribunal...

So, not impressed with Hitachi at all - no sign of any negotiation to help towards repairs despite a number of these 37" sets having the same problem from what I read around this forum and others...

Go with the Pioneer - you won't be disappointed and I beleive their after sales support is the best from what I hear

I’m new to this – currently researching for 1st plasma or LCD.

I saw these two TVs next to each other in David Jones Melbourne today. The signal on the Hitachi kept dropping out and neither was running of an internal tuner but I must say I preferred the Pioneer.

The Panasonic was also viewable from the same couch :blink: and I watched the Ch 7 HD loop on all three. Probably comes down to personal preference but the set up on the Pioneer certainly made the picture look better than on the Panasonic although a tweak may well easily correct this.

At the moment I’m leaning towards the Pioneer given the 5 yr warranty and installation if I can get it at a good price after Xmas.

The Panasonic was also viewable from the same couch :blink: and I watched the Ch 7 HD loop on all three. Probably comes down to personal preference but the set up on the Pioneer certainly made the picture look better than on the Panasonic although a tweak may well easily correct this.
Isn't a shame all (many/most) of the shops use the Ch 7 HD loop instead of a real (Yes I know the Oz standard in 576 but ...) HD source.

I find it really frustrating.

If you are looking into the hitachi 55" ... I have seen a fuji 55" for $6,500 yesterday @ instyle hifi (Sydney inner west) ..... top price for the 55", and the fuji has the best processor in the business....

if your seating distance (3m +) and room can accomodate a 55", the fuji (or Hitachi) would be a great option ....

I'm at 2.7m and have a 50" .... don't have enough cabinet space for a 55" (yet) .....

thank you everyone for their replies, the room is definately big enough for a 55" but if the pioneer 50" will be of better quality in terms of PQ and also Hardware then i'm leaning towards the pioneer. Also i guess a 5 year warranty from pioneer and not an extended warranty is also better in my opinion.

just about the free installation that pioneer gives when you purchase the item, what do they actually do when they come to install it?

cheers