Fujitsu 42hha51 Vs Panasonic 42pv60/px600

Whenever I've seen the Fujitsu plasmas in store the PQ has always been fantastic and slightly better than the Panasonics. But the premium price of the Fuji has always put me off - the Panasonics seem great value for $$.

So I had been set on getting one of the Pana's - until today - when I saw the Fuji 42HHA51 model ticketed at $2999 (same as the ticket price on the Pana 42PV60).

It seems like a steal at this price considering what they were selling for. And I'm sure I could haggle it a bit lower too.

I've read some good things about the Fuji's, and I hear they come with a standard 3yr warranty. I looked on their website to confirm this, but couldn't find any mention of it.

Just when I think I've decided on the tv I want to buy, something else comes along to make me think again.

So I'm now trying to compare and decide between these two great plasma's. Any comments or opinions?

Was the Fujitsu floor stock? What's it's normal list price?

The pana 60A can be got for much less than $2999 to.

Not floor stock - I asked about that and they have 3 brand spankers in boxes out the back. The last time I looked at one in store was about 2 months ago. I dont remember the exact ticket price but it was over $4k. Just had a bit more extensive look through the threads here and the best street price on the Fuji was about $3500, 5 months ago.

I know the Panas are going for a fair bit less. But I'd also be hopeful I could get the Fuji down to around $2600, I can tolerate a bit of premium price for the better PQ (IMHO). And I think thats with manufacturers warranty 3 years standard. I'll pay by credit card which will give me an additional 1 year for free. (I'm not a big fan of paying for extended warranty).

I get the feeling the store wants to try to move the Fuji's - they have been on the market for a fair while, and I guess dont sell as well due to the higher prices. Hell, thats exactly why I crossed 'em off my list before.

Mal,

I've had the Fuji for 18 months now, and my neighbour bought the Panny PV60 a few months ago. He and I often catch up over a few beers and watch footy etc. and neither of us have any doubt that the Fuji has the better PQ.

I actually recommended that he get the Panny, because I didn't think the Fuji was worth the extra $1300 at the time.... but if the difference is only a few hundred, I'd definitely recommend paying the extra dollars.

Keep in mind though that the new Pannys have an integrated HD tuner, so that will add cost to the Fuji side of the equation.

The Fugi always looks great in shops I must admit I have had my Pana 50'' now for about three weeks and can't fault it the 600a has the inbuilt tuner.

What I have learnt is that Futjitsu don't discount there Plasma's to retailers so there TV'S are always more expensive than all the rest and when it comes down to the bottom line $2000 dollars or there abouts really does matter.

Cheers

A couple of things to consider: the Fujitsu remote has direct input selection - much easier to use & setup for a universal remote than Panasonic's input cycling. Also, the Fujitsu has menu accessible image width, height & position adjustments, which makes it easy to minimize overscan, etc.

the panasonic has direct input selection afaik. atleast it does on my 500a.

also its worth noting that the fujitsu uses a panasonic panel

the panasonic has direct input selection afaik. atleast it does on my 500a.

also its worth noting that the fujitsu uses a panasonic panel

The 50" used to (not sure if it still does) but the 42" was a ALis (Hitachi) panel (again - not sure if this is still the case).

J.

The 50" used to (not sure if it still does) but the 42" was a ALis (Hitachi) panel (again - not sure if this is still the case).

Yup, the 42" HD fujitsu uses a Hitachi ALIS panel. If you watch your movies with the lights dimmed then I would definitely get the panasonic as the black levels on the 42" fuji are much poorer.

Thanks everyone for your comments.

I ended up going for a Panasonic 50PX600.

While I still think the 42" Fuji has slightly crisper picture than the 42" Pana, I wanted a simplified setup with inbuilt HD tuner (which the Panas do very well)

The shop wouldnt budge off the $2999 price of the Fuji 42".

And I decided to go for 50", which the shop didn't stock the 50" Fuji - but even if they did, I think I probably would have gone for the Pana anyway.

So far very happy with my purchase.

Can I ask where you saw the Fuji's far that price?

Harvey Norman Toowoomba (Qld)

They have/had 3 brand new in box. Any other HN store should be able to snaffle you one if you want it.

J.

Hi!

Just wondering what is ALIS panel means? Is it a special type of panel made by Hitachi and how does it better or different compare with otehr panels.

Initially i was looking for Fujitsu this model and it was more than $3500 and finally ended up getting Pana TH42PV60A. I am happy with it so far, but do you think the quality for Fujitsu is much better?

THanks.

Hi!

Just wondering what is ALIS panel means? Is it a special type of panel made by Hitachi and how does it better or different compare with otehr panels.

Initially i was looking for Fujitsu this model and it was more than $3500 and finally ended up getting Pana TH42PV60A. I am happy with it so far, but do you think the quality for Fujitsu is much better?

THanks.

Have a read (here)

J.

There is now a higher resolution Alis panel available as well.