Aiko 81cm Lcd Tv

Honestly guys. Read some of the posts before commenting :blink:

Numerous ppl have complained about high pitched interference coming through the speakers. Muting the sound is not the solution. (Hmm why didnt I try that LOL).

As great as the picture is on the Aiko unfortunately the other internal components aren't so good. Case in point the speakers have no shielding at all to protect them from the massive voltage going through the system, and this has been revealed as the source of the sound, even when muted.

Mayhap you have a set that doesn't have this problem, although this is impossible assuming they all have the same internal design. Some ppl can't hear the frequency, or it doesn't bother them. If not tht's cool. Snip or don't. It is the only solution for those experiencing this particular problem as it is an inherent design flaw not fixable under warranty (tried :D, and is posted to help those in the know.

Cheers.

ekiwi

Apology if you may have taken offence to my comments, I understand you are trying to be helpful, I was not suggesting otherwise. I have followed this thread quite closely as I was interested in buying one of these TV. Just a pity Big W sold out when I have made up my mind to get one. Admitedly as this thread is quite long, I don't remember everything that has been mentioned. :P

I thought I will bring up the warranty issues as people not knowing that they are engaging in an action that will/may void it may regret it when there is "real" trouble with the TV later on. Even if it is an inherent design flaw, I will still suggest that it is the responsibility of the repair agent to address it? Surely the consumer should not have to put up with it? Just wondering whether anyone with these problems has tried getting their repair agent to address/fix it, even if it means disconnecting the speakers?

I am keen to know all the issues associated with this TV. That way, I know the shortcoming when I buy it and can deal with it accordingly.

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ekiwi

Apology if you may have taken offence to my comments, I understand you are trying to be helpful, I was not suggesting otherwise. I have followed this thread quite closely as I was interested in buying one of these TV. Just a pity Big W sold out when I have made up my mind to get one. Admitedly as this thread is quite long, I don't remember everything that has been mentioned. :blink:

I thought I will bring up the warranty issues as people not knowing that they are engaging in an action that will/may void it may regret it when there is "real" trouble with the TV later on. Even if it is an inherent design flaw, I will still suggest that it is the responsibility of the repair agent to address it? Surely the consumer should not have to put up with it? Just wondering whether anyone with these problems has tried getting their repair agent to address/fix it, even if it means disconnecting the speakers?

I am keen to know all the issues associated with this TV. That way, I know the shortcoming when I buy it and can deal with it accordingly.

speakers do make that funny noise but i have to have my z5500 off to notice this problem at all, it is very very low, and you have to be quite close to the tv to notice this sound to point where is get on your nerves, not really issue for me with z5500 next to it.

other shortcoming for some people could be remote, is ugly, no style or class at all, is like they put remote for wrong tv in the box it match nothing but my rubish bin, i didn't put it in a rubish bin to keep for reference or if i sell the tv one day, not problem for me because i use logitech harmony x360 remote (i love logitech toys)

Saw this TV again at the local Big W. Looked quite low-grade and crappy compared to the surrounding CRTs, all of which had better colour/contrast.

Nova, Big W don't exactly show ANY tv's off to their true potential. Free to aire analog for all, badly tuned at that lol. Hook the Aiko up to a HDTV tuner, or better yet a HTPC and you might be blown away :D or not. By all accounts though the panel being Phillips/LG it is right up there with the best. Only at a serious discount.

SSchen, No problem at all. Appreciate all your comments. If only the speaker drama could've been resolved under warranty. Was either return for a refund (at this price I'd be crazy) or remedy myself :P

As others have mentioned though not everyone will notice or be bothered by the interference :blink:

Go for it!

speakers do make that funny noise but i have to have my z5500 off to notice this problem at all, it is very very low, and you have to be quite close to the tv to notice this sound to point where is get on your nerves, not really issue for me with z5500 next to it.

other shortcoming for some people could be remote, is ugly, no style or class at all, is like they put remote for wrong tv in the box it match nothing but my rubish bin, i didn't put it in a rubish bin to keep for reference or if i sell the tv one day, not problem for me because i use logitech harmony x360 remote (i love logitech toys)

Ah yes I forgot about the remote. lol. Very ugly! Thankfully i just ditched it and use my Mac mini remote, which is more like a beautifully engineered stick of gum than a remote :P

Really love the styling of the TV itself though yeh? Really slick, esp stand.

Saw this TV again at the local Big W. Looked quite low-grade and crappy compared to the surrounding CRTs, all of which had better colour/contrast.

I have a good quality CRT and it beats the LCD for most standard def stuff especially anything with lots of dark scenes however wont display the resolution this unit is capable of with HD sources.

Just finished watching the Planet Earth series in breathtaking 1280x720 resolution via HDMI input. It looked absolutely awesome, color and detail are superb - very realistic. Nothing low-grade or crappy about this set.

great panel. The hum disappeared almost completely after ditching component and using S-Video and making sure all cables were correctly inserted/attached.

However the hum has returned and got louder when I connect my Apple PowerBook to the Aiko using a DVI-HDMI cable. This is reminiscent of the hum using a Topfield TVRT5000 PVR scart to component cable with the conponent going in the Aiko.

Also when playing back video I random get red lines shooting across the screen that are not visible on the laptop.

Any suggestions? (apart from cutting the audio cables on the Aiko).

After reading some good reviews here and seeing the demo in the store. I bought this LCD from BIG W yesterday afternoon to be used as a second TV. I hooked it up straight away to my HD tuner via component input. The Simpsons looked good, so did other bright and colourful programs. The missus also gave positive comment about the product design (she's a designer!). The audio quality was also good.

However I wasn't too impressed with the PQ during "24" series, where there were a lot of dark scenes. Mr President and some of the terrorists, who happened to have dark skin colour, were almost invinsible. There was not much bright/dark colour definition (like not using gray scale function when you print colour images on B&W printer). Sometimes I felt like the bright colour is too bright, while the dark colour is too dark, not much in between.

I guess this may be the downside of any LCD tv. And my eyes are used to watching my main TV, which is a HD panasonic plasma that costed me a small car. Even my 14 year old CRT TV produced a better PQ than this LCD. I know I should compare apple to apple. But it strengthen my believe that the best LCD is unlikely to match to the best plasma and/or CRT in the market.

But overall I'm still happy with the purchase. It is a really good value! A 81cm multi function high definition display panel under a grand that I can hang on the wall as part of my home furniture.

After reading some good reviews here and seeing the demo in the store. I bought this LCD from BIG W yesterday afternoon to be used as a second TV. I hooked it up straight away to my HD tuner via component input. The Simpsons looked good, so did other bright and colourful programs. The missus also gave positive comment about the product design (she's a designer!). The audio quality was also good.

However I wasn't too impressed with the PQ during "24" series, where there were a lot of dark scenes. Mr President and some of the terrorists, who happened to have dark skin colour, were almost invinsible. There was not much bright/dark colour definition (like not using gray scale function when you print colour images on B&W printer). Sometimes I felt like the bright colour is too bright, while the dark colour is too dark, not much in between.

I guess this may be the downside of any LCD tv. And my eyes are used to watching my main TV, which is a HD panasonic plasma that costed me a small car. Even my 14 year old CRT TV produced a better PQ than this LCD. I know I should compare apple to apple. But it strengthen my believe that the best LCD is unlikely to match to the best plasma and/or CRT in the market.

But overall I'm still happy with the purchase. It is a really good value! A 81cm multi function high definition display panel under a grand that I can hang on the wall as part of my home furniture.

boldenwell

So how much did you pay for the LCD?

Hey... on the front cover of the latest BigW catalogue they have on sale an Aiko 81cm LCD TV for 'special purchase' price of $998!

Listed;

* Quality LG-Philips widescreen panel

* Resolution: 1366 x 768 pixels

* Brightness: 500cd/m3

* Contrast: 1600:1 (dynamic)

* Response Time: 8ms (G/G)

* Viewing Angle: 178

* HDMI with HDCP support

* PC multi-media input

LTW-32D

Forget Big W. I bought a Viewsonic 81cm LCD just before Xmas for a tad under $1100, and it is absolutely brilliant. Viewsonic are probably more known for their computer monitors but this display unit has heaps of features and input sockets including HDMI on the back which will take just about anything you want to plug into it. Only sports an analogue tuner though, but coupled with my digitrex twin tuner PVR works like a trick. Also features stereo 10 watt RMS per channel speakers supported by SRS. User friendly menu what more can I say except to find this great display go to, staticice on the web for the best current price from computer suppliers.

Forget Big W. I bought a Viewsonic 81cm LCD just before Xmas for a tad under $1100, and it is absolutely brilliant. Viewsonic are probably more known for their computer monitors but this display unit has heaps of features and input sockets including HDMI on the back which will take just about anything you want to plug into it. Only sports an analogue tuner though, but coupled with my digitrex twin tuner PVR works like a trick. Also features stereo 10 watt RMS per channel speakers supported by SRS. User friendly menu what more can I say except to find this great display go to, staticice on the web for the best current price from computer suppliers.

technocat

I own a Viewsonic 20" WS LCD Monitor myself so I can certainly attest to their quality in terms of Computer LCD monitor. Mind you, this Aiko monitor was going for $798 during their post-Christmas sale and I think this is very good value.

Just out of curiosity, does your Viewsonic LCD TV come with three years warranty just like their LCD Monitor?

so you got a panel with just about same features but with old generation samsung panel (viewsonic don't make own panels) and you paid more, how exciting :blink:

I get that problem too on my 32" Okano unit (using component or composite) which i purchased form big W for $885. My 1988 model Toshiba CRT blows it away in terms of PQ (and blows away many modern day CRTs).

however when I hooked up via the VGA i was truely amazed and didnt suffer from the dark - contrast issues/

Give your VGA port a go and see how it looks! I have a feeling our units are of very similar build / panel type.

Guy's I pick mine up today, after lay-bying [?] before Christmas. It has just about killed me off reading all these posts.. drooling & fidgeting :blink:

Running a homemade HTPC with Component / DVI / VGA outputs. Now which one would you guys recommend on experience? Obviously I'd need a DVI<>HDMI adapter of some sort. But are there preferences now that you've all had some time with your AIKO ....

would like to hear some opinions.

Cheers

Guy's I pick mine up today, after lay-bying [?] before Christmas. It has just about killed me off reading all these posts.. drooling & fidgeting :blink:

Running a homemade HTPC with Component / DVI / VGA outputs. Now which one would you guys recommend on experience? Obviously I'd need a DVI<>HDMI adapter of some sort. But are there preferences now that you've all had some time with your AIKO ....

would like to hear some opinions.

Cheers

IF you want to use the DVI<>HDMI cable it is worth your while checking to see if your video card supports 1366x768. Most only handle 1360 or 1368 as they are divisible by 8. Update to the latest drivers, try adding a custom resolution or alternatively try powerstrip.

With my Nvidia 5900XT card I can only get 1360x768 so although the display is sharp there are bands of slight blur running across the display as it rescales 1360 up to 1366. I dont think its possible to configure the panel to disable the scaler function.

Has anyone been successful getting this panel to display 1366x768? If so what video card are you using, driver version and how did you set it up?

IF you want to use the DVI<>HDMI cable it is worth your while checking to see if your video card supports 1366x768. Most only handle 1360 or 1368 as they are divisible by 8. Update to the latest drivers, try adding a custom resolution or alternatively try powerstrip.

With my Nvidia 5900XT card I can only get 1360x768 so although the display is sharp there are bands of slight blur running across the display as it rescales 1360 up to 1366. I dont think its possible to configure the panel to disable the scaler function.

Has anyone been successful getting this panel to display 1366x768? If so what video card are you using, driver version and how did you set it up?

cool thanks..

I'm using an Nvidia 6600LE and haven't really experimented.. tonight I'll try a few things out :blink: !

just downloaded Powerstrip so I'll try it out.

keen to hear other experiences..

OK.. spent a little bit of time with the AIKO

I have the vibrating speaker issue a few people have mentioned. A fair bit annoying.

..but do I exchange it if it's a common problem?

Connected my Topfield SD STB via Component.

Picture quality is ... OK perhaps a little smudgey. Guess I was expecting a little more clarity. Doesn't appear to be sharp enough... watching the TODAY show this am.

Colours are superb. Set at STANDARD mode.

I attached a DVD player via Component @ BigW b4 I bought the TV and was impressed... a bit underwhelmed with my STB picture.

Still need to check attaching it via DVI <> HDMI on my HTPC.. tonight hopefully!

I'm hoping for some improvement there!

:blink:

OK.. spent a little bit of time with the AIKO

I have the vibrating speaker issue a few people have mentioned. A fair bit annoying.

..but do I exchange it if it's a common problem?

Connected my Topfield SD STB via Component.

Picture quality is ... OK perhaps a little smudgey. Guess I was expecting a little more clarity. Doesn't appear to be sharp enough... watching the TODAY show this am.

Colours are superb. Set at STANDARD mode.

I attached a DVD player via Component @ BigW b4 I bought the TV and was impressed... a bit underwhelmed with my STB picture.

Still need to check attaching it via DVI <> HDMI on my HTPC.. tonight hopefully!

I'm hoping for some improvement there!

:blink:

Hey mate, The vibrating speaker problem can't be fixed. The sound on the set sucks. DVI->HDMI will not give you the best picture, VGA will deliver the best on this set unfortunately.

Hey mate, The vibrating speaker problem can't be fixed. The sound on the set sucks. DVI->HDMI will not give you the best picture, VGA will deliver the best on this set unfortunately.

just dropped into Jaycar and picked up both a DVI<> HDMI adapter $15 .. JB Hifi wanted $50 :D:P

AND an XVGA male ended cable funnily enuff. again $15..

I'm surprised DVI won't help me.. [disappointed!!] :P

might have to fix the speakers meself then... maybe.. better speakers? dunno :blink: