Sony DSTHD500

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are some further details with specifcations for this

New Sony HD-STB with HDMI DSTHD500 available October.

http://www.dba.org.au/uploads/documents/SonyDSTHD500.pdf

The key features are:

 HDMI digital connection

 Semi-mirrored front panel with VFD illuminated display

 DVB-T HD/SD broadcasting reception

 1080i, 720p, 576p, 576i video format support

 Simultaneous SD output while watching HD

 Remote commander with multi-brand TV functions

The recommended retail price is $699, however Sony will be bundling the new HD-STB with it's new Bravia LCD TV range (V series), which all have HDMI inputs. This range includes the KLVV40A10, the KLVV32A10 and the KLVV26A10 models.

Excuse my relative ignorance but I'm looking at buying a Sony 3LCD Grand Wega - which doesn't have an HDMI input.

Would this new stb be a potential way to go (over the 100 model) if I can obtain it unbundled from the Bravia, ie it's a newer model and potentially cheaper (though street price for the 100 is currently lower than 500 rrp..)? Or is it just a waste of time because I can't take advantage of the HDMI connection?

Or, more to the point, is there another preferred stb for the Sony Grand Wega?

Shemijo

Excuse my relative ignorance but I'm looking at buying a Sony 3LCD Grand Wega - which doesn't have an HDMI input.

Would this new stb be a potential way to go (over the 100 model) if I can obtain it unbundled from the Bravia, ie it's a newer model and potentially cheaper (though street price for the 100 is currently lower than 500 rrp..)?  Or is it just a waste of time because I can't take advantage of the HDMI connection?

Or, more to the point, is there another preferred stb for the Sony Grand Wega?

Shemijo

If the 3LCD Grand Wega has a DVI input then you can use a HDMI to DVI adaptor to connect up. And If so then get the new one it will give greater flexibility in the furture.

Cheers

Michael

If the 3LCD Grand Wega has a DVI input then you can use a HDMI to DVI adaptor to connect up.  And If so then get the new one it will give greater flexibility in the furture.

Cheers

Michael

Michael

Many thanks - but no. Its interfaces are:

AV inputs:: 3 Rear and 1 Front

S Video Inputs:: 1 Rear and 1 Front

Headphone Jack:: 1 Front

Inputs:: 2 Rear HD/DVD (Y/PB/CB/PR/CR)

Monitor Out:: Rear Out x 1

Centre Speaker In

Does that change your advice?!

Shemijo

Michael

Many thanks - but no.  Its interfaces are:

AV inputs:: 3 Rear and 1 Front

S Video Inputs:: 1 Rear and 1 Front

Headphone Jack:: 1 Front

Inputs:: 2 Rear HD/DVD (Y/PB/CB/PR/CR)

Monitor Out:: Rear Out x 1

Centre Speaker In

Does that change your advice?!

Shemijo

No worries you can still connect via component connections and have the hdmi as a future connection.

Cheers

Michael

No worries you can still connect via component connections and have the hdmi as a future connection.

Cheers

Michael

Have found out that even if you had a DVI connector it still might not work. It has to do with a form of handshaking which is really a form of content protection called HDCP. If both the source and destination don't have it then you cant get a connection.

Michael

Have found out that even if you had a DVI connector it still might not work.  It has to do with a form of handshaking which is really  a form of content protection called HDCP.  If both the source and destination don't have it then you cant get a connection.

Michael

Thanks, Michael - so, in short, I can still use the new stb with Grand Wega but just don't get the benefits of the HDMI connections?

Shemijo

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing earth shattering. Seem to be firmware related. There are probably more, but I haven't been able to tease them out with regular use.

-Captions/teletext irregularities.

-Sometimes switches "current" & "next" status, but has correct time (under info button)

-non-cycling at beginning/end of long favourite list

I *did* have a crashing problem, where the STB would crash after an arbitrary period and just flash green streaks on the screen, with no response from the usual buttons. This required a soft (and at times hard) reset, which would fix things till the next crash. I have not noticed it on my replacement.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All. I'm a newbie to these forums and I have just purchased a Sony HST HD500.

I have not experienced any overheating or freezing problems but from time to time I get no sound from the analog stereo RCA connectors on the back. This fixes itself after the box has been switched on for a while or you do not turn it off.

For interest's sake I'm keen to know if there are different firmware versions around.

If you pull up the menu, select the Toolbox icon and select Information you can get the Hardware and Software info.

Details on mine are:

Hardware Version: BCM 7038 DST-HD500

Software Version: AUSN71T27 DT1r1 2t1f2F

Release Time: Sep 23 2005 18:36:46

Hi All.  I'm a newbie to these forums and I have just purchased a Sony HST HD500.

I have not experienced any overheating or freezing problems but from time to time I get no sound from the analog stereo RCA connectors on the back.  This fixes itself after the box has been switched on for a while or you do not turn it off.

For interest's sake I'm keen to know if there are different firmware versions around.

If you pull up the menu, select the Toolbox icon and select Information you can get the Hardware and Software info.

Details on mine are:

Hardware Version:  BCM 7038 DST-HD500

Software Version:    AUSN71T27 DT1r1 2t1f2F

Release Time:        Sep 23 2005 18:36:46

Godd luck to you. I bought Sony DST-HD500 at the beginning of the month, I had to refund. See my ealier posting titled "Experience with Sony HD500 for 10 days" posted last week. I am waiting for another brand HD STB with HDMI output, so far not found any. Hoping to see different brands coming soon.

I got mine yesterday and used it for about 5 hours last night, it didnt miss a beat! I checked to see how much heat was coming off it and there was stuff all, my Homecast runs hotter.

So far it hasnt missed a beat (still early days) it programmed all the channels automatically when first booted up, and the favorites were simple enough to get setup. Picture quality is fantasic on 1080i via HDMI and channel changes are on a par or quicker than the Homecast unit, so all is well. Hope i dont see any of these other dramas :blink:

I've had the Sony for a few days now. Image quality (over HDMI to a Pana 42" HD plasma) is suberb. While I haven't got much to compare to (this is my first venture to digital) I couldn't fault it. Heat has not been an issue. Its not freezing cold, but merely warm. And I haven't even given it the recommended air space. (about 5cm of ventilation to each side.

My biggest issue with it is the that programming it isn't so easy. You set the favourite lists but then using the program up/down buttons goes changes the stations accourding to the main list.

Setup was a breeze (besides assigning stations to a favourite menu) with stations being picked up perfectly after selecting state (in my case Victoria.) I didn't get channel 31, which may or may not be because of the STB.

re: chan 31.

I can assure you it is not because of the STB.

The STB is stable and cool for me.

Another software bug - does not show extended information on N&N. Just the first "page" of each item.

If I were to buy one however, there are cheaper options with more features. It depends if you really really want HDMI or you can live without. You can get PVR function STB for a teensy bit more.

Man they really screwed a few things up with the new STB, didn't they?

So pushing the down button does nothing?

The down button scrolls down the now and next on mine so im not sure whats up with yours.

As for the price i got mine bundled with the 26" Bravia LCD. Got it price matched with ibuy.com.au which made the bundle cheaper than the rrp on the screen alone!

re: chan 31.

The STB is stable and cool for me.

Another software bug - does not show extended information on N&N. Just the first "page" of each item.

yeah, i have the same problem with the extended information, i cant seem to scroll down for any channel other than ch90. Also the i-plate displays the incorrect time every now and then, which renders it close to useless as a clock. I've no temperature probs, it runs relatively cool.

i got this STB with the 40" Bravia (the bundle), just wondering if anyone uses any other STB, n how it compares to the Sony one , both running via HDMI.

sorry, on a serperate matter, has anyone noticed a slight flickering on the 40" Bravia, while watchin tv via HDMI ??? sometimes while watching the news, i notice slight flickering in certain sections of the panel, on the coloured backgrounds around the newsreader. Could this just be the input signal or the panel processing or the STB??? ch90 news looks pretty good otherwise. the flickering remains regardless of the noise reduction setting at high or off.

ive also observed this while watching shows that r broadcast in HD...? e.g cold case, third watch, csi

Well I've come to the conclusion that buying a HD STB is a gamble no matter what brand you buy, and as I'm after one with HDMI I don't have too many choices, so I'm going to get the HD500 as from what I've read when it works, it's pretty good.

Can I ask what price people have been paying for these boxes to give me an idea of what price to be aiming for.

Thanks.

Well I've come to the conclusion that buying a HD STB is a gamble no matter what brand you buy, and as I'm after one with HDMI I don't have too many choices, so I'm going to get the HD500 as from what I've read when it works, it's pretty good.

Can I ask what price people have been paying for these boxes to give me an idea of what price to be aiming for.

Thanks.

I got mine for $500 from the Good Guy, but returned becuase of the locking problem. The problem happened on two units. Good luck. Now I am looking at the new Toshiba HD-C26H which has HDMI output.