New DGTEC PVR

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have just received a NEW firmware version by email, 060908ASUPA (previous one was 060120A). :blink:

The DGTEC website has been given a complete facelift and now has a European section but I can't find a download link for the new firmware so I'm hosting it at:

http://www.users.on.net/~clockwks/DGTEC/060908ASUPA.zip

They claim "the entire menu system has changed."

Trying it now.

Hi

I'm new on the list. I found the link to the firmware and downloaded it last night. All is good. Thanks Kestrel.

Video file is now sorted in descending date order and you can see quite a bit more on the list than before.

Also I have picked up a few hints on this forum such as leaving no spaces in the file name. This worked a treat for one of the recordings that kept ending 25 minutes in although the file said it was 90 mins in total.

One thing I have noticed and perhaps someone can advise on this. When I had identical filenames and tried playing one of the recordings the system would go in to melt down and I had to reboot. Has anyone had similar issues? My concern now with the firmware upgrade is the renaming recordings to the program title, with weekly shows the title will be identical..

Any advise would be appreciated.

Ok - as well as the things mentioned above (REC symbol now disappears (finally!), new colours and longer timer list) I've noticed these changes:

Recorded video list is ordered by date and the screen has been rearranged.

The EPG can now have "padding" i.e you can have 5, 10 or 15 mins of extra time - not sure if it's added to the beginning as well as the end of the recording. This isn't useful yet as the only channel with full EPG is ABC and it runs to time really closely.

The arrow buttons to the left and right of the ENTER button causes a recorded program to jump forward/backward by about 30 seconds - this is great for skipping through ads.

I think that's all I've noticed so far. Will let you know if I find any more.

First of all thanks to one an all for their posts and Kestrel for hosting the new firmware.

I installed it over the weekend and echo the previous posts with regard to the rec symbol and added cosmetic features.

With regard to padding it actually adds to both the start and finish time so that if you pad 10 min it will start recording 10 in early and finish ten minutes later that the guide shows. Provided you use the guide and don't manually time record. A good feature given the way the commercial stations ignore their schedulng.

Unfortunately, every time you use the guide to time record it seems to clear all other scheduled timer records. This effectively means there is no use using the guide especially if you weekly record.

In addition, I note that it now possible to time record two programs which overlap - pretty sure this was not possible previously and an extremely handy feature.

On a more negative note, the File Manager has disapeared so that it is no longer possible to see exactly how much hard disc space is left and/or see the individual files which was useful if you wanted to erase part of a file -usually the tail end if padded.

Also once recording starts cannot power off the PVR - in the past could power off and if using timer record would simply restart the record. Also as in the past if you want the PVR to switch off after the record finishes you must use the timer to schedule the record and have the PVR switched off before it starts recording. Serious pain in the .... Not sure about the current set up but in the past even if the PVR was switched off when it started recording it would not auto switch off if you use the pvr in any way during the record period. Even greater pain in the ....

Other areas which need attention include:

Always a slight stutter where volume tries to catch up to picture when using goto function (takes about 3-5 seconds to get any volume) or when simply pausing out commercials during recording. When playing the recording back there is a slight stutter rather than a smooth transition. Most annoying.

As I understand it under normal chase play I should be able to start watching a recorded program even though it is still being recorded and effectively catch up. For example, if I start recording a one hour program at 7:30 pm so that it stops recording at 8:30 pm, I should be able to start watching that program say at 7.40 pm and continue atching that program until the finish of the program. Unfortunately what actually

happens is that I can only watch the program in the same intervals as the time lapse between starting the recording and playing it back. Using the above example, I start watching the program ten minutes after it began recording. After ten minutes the screen freezes and "end" appears on the screen, suggesting that this all that has been recorded. I then have to stop the play back and start from the beginning whereupon I can watch 20 minutes worth of program before it freezes and "end" appears on the screen, and so on.

Raised these issues with DGTEC by email, in June 2006 and have still not received any response whatsover - so much for cutomer service.

Any comments appreciated.

See the thread:

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtop...p;hl=chase+play

The dgtec doesn't have a proper chase play. Instead, it has a pause mode. I also have a digicrystal, which does have an excellent chase play. The worst feature of the dgtec pause mode is that you if you want to keep a copy of the program you're chasing, you have to record it as well.

Also once recording starts cannot power off the PVR - in the past could power off and if using timer record would simply restart the record. Also as in the past if you want the PVR to switch off after the record finishes you must use the timer to schedule the record and have the PVR switched off before it starts recording. Serious pain in the .... Not sure about the current set up but in the past even if the PVR was switched off when it started recording it would not auto switch off if you use the pvr in any way during the record period. Even greater pain in the ....

In the past, when you switched off the PVR while it was timer-recording, it would stop the recording. It never restarted for me unless I switched the unit back on.

Always a slight stutter where volume tries to catch up to picture when using goto function (takes about 3-5 seconds to get any volume) or when simply pausing out commercials during recording. When playing the recording back there is a slight stutter rather than a smooth transition. Most annoying.

This has always happened. To me it's no big deal. I'd use the goto function to get close, then FF/RW to find the exact spot. It was most annoying when the goto found the right spot and I had to rewind to hear what was going on!

In the past, when you switched off the PVR while it was timer-recording, it would stop the recording. It never restarted for me unless I switched the unit back on.

This has always happened. To me it's no big deal. I'd use the goto function to get close, then FF/RW to find the exact spot. It was most annoying when the goto found the right spot and I had to rewind to hear what was going on!

Hi all this is how i use chase play on dgtec ,watch video till it says end ,take note at how many mins ,say ends at 20mins, use goto 20mins then press pause button ,then play, it should play with sound from 20mins on.

Unfortunately, every time you use the guide to time record it seems to clear all other scheduled timer records. This effectively means there is no use using the guide especially if you weekly record.

I'll have to check this out - because if this is the case then that really sucks.

I quite often set my timer manually for the commercial channels and then

use the EPG for the ABC. I wonder if you set the the EPG first, then do manual

timer there will be a problem?

In addition, I note that it now possible to time record two programs which overlap - pretty sure this was not possible previously and an extremely handy feature.

I think this was always possible - dual tuners. Can record two channels (overlapping) and even watch

a recorded program (provided you initiate in playback before the recording starts).

On a more negative note, the File Manager has disapeared so that it is no longer possible to see exactly how much hard disc space is left and/or see the individual files which was useful if you wanted to erase part of a file -usually the tail end if padded.

This is another bummer if it's true.

Seems DGTEC is two steps forward and one step back with its firmware upgrades....

Yes, agree here. Oh for a One-Touch-Record button and a power-off after recording feature...

Raised these issues with DGTEC by email, in June 2006 and have still not received any response whatsover - so much for cutomer service.

Any comments appreciated.

Yes - we should all send these same comments to DGTEC.

DO NOT TOUCH THE GUIDE IF YOU USE THE SCHEDULED TIMER! Even if you don't record using the guide there's a high probability of losing most of your scheduled timer slots if you press the Guide button or enter the guide via the menu. I've lost my timer list twice doing this.

Turning the ICE guide off doesn't help.

This is a MAJOR bug and DGTEC should be informed of it by as many people as possible.

When I received the email of the new firmware from DGTEC the sender stated "Feedback is appreciated."

Just because they don't respond doesn't mean they don't take notice of your feedback.

hmm I wonder where my manual went???

I got the new firmware but it has been so long since I last did it, I forget!! I unzipped into DGTEC\Upgrade and replaced the existing bin file (after making a copy in case I wanted to change my mind), but that didn't seem to do anything, I just powered back on and it started up like normal.. no "upgrading firmware" or anything...

am I missing something? I looked all over DGTEC and the rest of web for firmware upgrade instructions, no luck... and no manual to be seen....

any help would be appreciated, please don't kick me off the forum for forgetting such a core thing...

This is the firmware upgrade instructions that I downloaded from the old DGTEC site.

I used the same procedure for the latest firmware (060908ASUPA)

DG-SD PVR

Firmware Upgrade Procedure

1. Download upgrade file from DGTEC website www.dgtec.com.au. Save the file on your PC.

2. Connect the PVR to:

a. TV Monitor via component, S-Video or CVBS, and

b. PC via USB cable (use a standard USB printer cable)

3. PVR

a. Using the PVR remote control select Setup. Settings will be highlighted, press Enter.

b. Using the downward directional key on the remote control scroll down to USB in the submenu environment.

c. Press the > directional key and then press Enter when the Connect to PC message is displayed. If the PVR is connected to your PC correctly a message confirming the connection will be displayed.

4. PC

a. On the PC side double click on “My Computer”. The DGTEC drive will be displayed. Copy the firmware upgrade folder and paste it in the DGTEC Drive.

b. Open the upgrade folder in the DGTEC drive.

c. Extract the “bin” file from the folder by highlighting and right clicking the file. Select “Extract” from the options list. This part of the procedure may vary depending on the compression software installed on your PC.

d. Confirm that the bin file has been extracted from the folder.

5. Go back to the PVR and exit from the USB sub menu.

6. Turn the PVR off and then turn it back on. A message will be displayed informing you that the firmware is being upgraded. This may take 5 minutes, do not interrupt this procedure.

7. Once the firmware upgrade is complete another message will ask you to re-power the unit. Turn the power to the unit off by unplugging it from the power source. Then plug it back in and turn the PVR on.

8. Confirm that the upgrade is complete be selecting Setup from the remote control, select Settings and press Enter. Check that the firmware version has changed. The firmware version is displayed on the last line of the information box.

I hope this helps.

Found that if you immediately press the pause button then play button it plays correctly so you hear from the beginning. Still a pain though.

This is the firmware upgrade instructions that I downloaded from the old DGTEC site.

I used the same procedure for the latest firmware (060908ASUPA)

DG-SD PVR

Firmware Upgrade Procedure

1. Download upgrade file from DGTEC website www.dgtec.com.au. Save the file on your PC.

2. Connect the PVR to:

a. TV Monitor via component, S-Video or CVBS, and

b. PC via USB cable (use a standard USB printer cable)

3. PVR

a. Using the PVR remote control select Setup. Settings will be highlighted, press Enter.

b. Using the downward directional key on the remote control scroll down to USB in the submenu environment.

c. Press the > directional key and then press Enter when the Connect to PC message is displayed. If the PVR is connected to your PC correctly a message confirming the connection will be displayed.

4. PC

a. On the PC side double click on “My Computer”. The DGTEC drive will be displayed. Copy the firmware upgrade folder and paste it in the DGTEC Drive.

b. Open the upgrade folder in the DGTEC drive.

c. Extract the “bin” file from the folder by highlighting and right clicking the file. Select “Extract” from the options list. This part of the procedure may vary depending on the compression software installed on your PC.

d. Confirm that the bin file has been extracted from the folder.

5. Go back to the PVR and exit from the USB sub menu.

6. Turn the PVR off and then turn it back on. A message will be displayed informing you that the firmware is being upgraded. This may take 5 minutes, do not interrupt this procedure.

7. Once the firmware upgrade is complete another message will ask you to re-power the unit. Turn the power to the unit off by unplugging it from the power source. Then plug it back in and turn the PVR on.

8. Confirm that the upgrade is complete be selecting Setup from the remote control, select Settings and press Enter. Check that the firmware version has changed. The firmware version is displayed on the last line of the information box.

I hope this helps.

Important that you extract the BIN file so that it is no longer in a folder.

I'll have to check this out - because if this is the case then that really sucks.

I quite often set my timer manually for the commercial channels and then

use the EPG for the ABC. I wonder if you set the the EPG first, then do manual

timer there will be a problem?

I think this was always possible - dual tuners. Can record two channels (overlapping) and even watch

a recorded program (provided you initiate in playback before the recording starts).

This is another bummer if it's true.

Seems DGTEC is two steps forward and one step back with its firmware upgrades....

Yes, agree here. Oh for a One-Touch-Record button and a power-off after recording feature...

Yes - we should all send these same comments to DGTEC.

Correct could always record two programs at one time but pretty sure you could not use the "timer" to record two programs, ie. had to be there to press record for the second tuner. May be wrong, could be that you couldn't use timer to start recording two programs at exactly the same time, eg 7:30pm for both programs. Haven't tried this yet. Either way it is a big bonus to be able to use the timer for two programs especially if they overlap.

Correct could always record two programs at one time but pretty sure you could not use the "timer" to record two programs, ie. had to be there to press record for the second tuner. May be wrong, could be that you couldn't use timer to start recording two programs at exactly the same time, eg 7:30pm for both programs. Haven't tried this yet. Either way it is a big bonus to be able to use the timer for two programs especially if they overlap.

Ever since I bought my DGTEC a little under a year ago I have been using the timer to schedule simultaneous recordings with no serious problems.

Sometimes I get a false, "timer fail" message, when entering a program that overlaps with two other programs. In the example below Program 2 overlaps with Program 1 and Program 3 but not at the same time, so it should be a valid entry, but often generates a "timer fail" message.

Program 1:_________############__________________________________

Program 2:_________________##################__________________

Program 3:___________________________________##############_____

I have found that the order in which you enter the programs is important; Program 2 cannot be entered into the timer after both Program 1 and Program 3 have been entered because the timer thinks there are 3 programs overlapping at the same time (even though they're not). It's not smart enough to see that there are two different overlaps that occur at two different times, entering the programs in order 1, 2, 3 (or 3, 2, 1) avoids the problem of the simplistic timer logic from giving a false "timer fail" message.

DO NOT TOUCH THE GUIDE IF YOU USE THE SCHEDULED TIMER! Even if you don't record using the guide there's a high probability of losing most of your scheduled timer slots if you press the Guide button or enter the guide via the menu. I've lost my timer list twice doing this.

Turning the ICE guide off doesn't help.

This is a MAJOR bug and DGTEC should be informed of it by as many people as possible.

When I received the email of the new firmware from DGTEC the sender stated "Feedback is appreciated."

Just because they don't respond doesn't mean they don't take notice of your feedback.

Kestrel,

I tried this last night and had no problems. i.e. I set up a "manual" timer and then went

to the GUIDE and EPG'd a program. Nothing disappeared and both programs recorded fine.

perhaps this is an intermittent issue (hope not -as they are the worst).

Kestrel,

I tried this last night and had no problems. i.e. I set up a "manual" timer and then went

to the GUIDE and EPG'd a program. Nothing disappeared and both programs recorded fine.

perhaps this is an intermittent issue (hope not -as they are the worst).

That's why I used the term "high probability" because the bug wasn't consistent but certainly not worth risking a full timer list!

The first time it happened to me I lost the first 8 slots.

The second time I lost the first 20 slots.

I experimented by entering different times which disappeared inconsistently when entering the guide. One time of 1700-1730hrs was deleted 10 times out of 10 when I entered the guide which suggests that this may not be an entirely intermittent issue. I've taped a plastic cover over the guide button so I don't press it accidently and lose everything... again.

Guest keyposition

first off, thanks kestrel. much appreciated.

but my big problem is how do I delete recordings now without the file manager?

here in perth it looks like nine has a full guide now, but i haven't tried to record off it yet

first off, thanks kestrel. much appreciated.

but my big problem is how do I delete recordings now without the file manager?

here in perth it looks like nine has a full guide now, but i haven't tried to record off it yet

Go to the Video Manager. Select the program with the up/down arrows.

Press the right arrow - you should now get a another highlighted section

giving you the option to Rename, Play, Delete or Exit. Use the arrow keys

to get to the Delete square then hit ENTER. Confirm. And then bye-bye program...

Go to the Video Manager. Select the program with the up/down arrows.

Press the right arrow - you should now get a another highlighted section

giving you the option to Rename, Play, Delete or Exit. Use the arrow keys

to get to the Delete square then hit ENTER. Confirm. And then bye-bye program...

Failing that, activate USB and browse the HDD from your computer. :blink:

I have just received a NEW firmware version by email, 060908ASUPA (previous one was 060120A). :D

http://www.users.on.net/~clockwks/DGTEC/060908ASUPA.zip

I've just installed and couldn't find the RF Modulator Channel Selector ... this is required for our setup as the programming of channels was only available through the remote (which is no longer around). I had to revert to the old build :(

- kartguru

I've just tried installing the new firmware and I get the "could take 5 mins" message but below that in red I get "Firmware update fail!!!" Oh no! I've tried unplugging but nothing is happening. Any ideas?

[/quote

Call DGTEC.

Otherwise try connecting PC and see if PVR drive is visible, reload bin file and try again.

Was wondering if someone has current pricing for this model? Best deals etc.

Cheers.

You should be able to find it for less than $400 (80GB model) otherwise don't bother,

and keep looking. Some have got it for even less, but I think it's still a pretty good

deal at $400.

Hi guys. Have any of you had any luck in getting videos off the pvr and playing them? I don't understand exactly how to join the .mts file and the other .001 etc etc files. I've read through the earlier posts but just can't seem to get any of those ideas to work. Have also spend about 3 - 4 hours looking online without any luck. Any help you guys could give would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.