SHARP 1920 x 1080i 45" Aquos LCD

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw one at Carlton Audio Visual last week. Beautiful.

Caveat - it was fed from a media centre, but I don't know any more about connections. Shop dude said it was 1080p, but specs say 1080i. Can a media centre make the leap to progressive? Skeptical, but I'm not in a position to refute.

The images were from a supplied Sharp loop, featuring upclose details of kimonos and maple leaves swaying gently in the breeze, lovely Japanese paper umbrellas slowly twirling, you know the kind of thing. Awesome colours and resolution, but there were no fast pans, no quick action of any kind, so I can't talk about refresh rates, judder etc.

I got up close and the detail was pretty amazing, couldn't spot any loss of sharpness even from 6 inches.

It was placed close to the entry and outside world, but reflection/glare was not evident.

It's a dream product, but again, didn't talk with the guy long enough to explore the downsides, and the loop was no doubt designed to show it at its best.

I didn't even dare ask price, out of my league.

mickbick

Actually I can pick one up fpr $8700. Which I thought wasnt a bad price.

Jeez that's a big drop in price! (it originally landed at about $15000+)

Some paces are still selling the 37" version (1368X768) for about $7500!!!

Not fond of the speaker at the bottom though....... I believe that there will be a version with detachable side speakers in the next release, I hope it also comes in the cool titanium colour too. :blink:

Angelo, does this mean that your experience with the 26" AWA has turned you away from plasmas to LCDs?

Peter

QUOTE(Quester @ Apr 5 2005, 12:01 AM)

Hi there,

Just wondering if there is anyone out there who owns or knows well of this Sharp unit can comment on its performance - particularly with respect to any noticeable motion lag issues.

Seriously considering one of these units and the only real concern I have is how much noticeable, if any, is the 12ms motion lag - particularly when watching HD content and DVDs (don't really care for games, etc). Recently I saw the first LOTR on a plasma and the the wide angle fast camera panning scenes of NZ looked fantastic and wondering how a LCD unit like would handle such scenes.

The AV stores are of the opinion the motion lag is thing of the past with older LCD models and newer units like the Sharp 45", it is next to non-existent. Also read a quite a detailed artcle from the US model - http://ultimateavmag.com/directviewandptvt...harp/index.html

But really interested to hear from anyone who has one in Australia.

Many thanks for any input, advice.

Cheers.

Hi Angelo

Thought you might wanna note the above regarding the Aqua 45"

Saw one at RR running a HD loop , quite impressive, think the 30" model won some award in an OS magazine.

I ended up with a new 435 instead of the 504 we had a look at Myers

Guess you must be havin fun out shoppin for the next new toy

Cheers

DG

Have any of you guys seen one and what do you think ?

You will kick yourself Angelo when you get one and the new media box slips in under the radar :P I cannot find anyone in Sharp that can verify this because as usual they had not a clue what I was talking about :blink:

cheers laurie

Have any of you guys seen one and what do you think ?

You will kick yourself Angelo when you get one and the new media box slips in under the radar :P I cannot find anyone in Sharp that can verify this because as usual they had not a clue what I was talking about :blink:

cheers laurie

Laurie,

There is no new media box planned whatsoever for 2005. Not sure who told you this information, but it is incorrect.

John Mark:

We are getting mixed signals from Sharp regarding the AVC upgrade. (sorry about the pun....and sorry about the Americanization of your name, I couldn't resist)

Was it Abbas, I think, that had a discussion with a Sharp rep who alluded to a firmware upgrade. I remember again that one of the Sharp engineers has said that it IS entirely possible for reconfiguration to allow for 1080p passthrough.

My deductive side of the brain, is reasoning that this would explain why Sharp is in talks with DVDO. If they can passthrough 1080p in their next generation scaler, and Sharp is interested, then possibly this technology could be implemented into the AVC box. The question is whether it is proprietary or not and whether Sharp is actually serious about a deal with DVDO.

I know, for one, as does 2 or 3 on the forum, that the current DVDO scaler (HD+) is about one or two generations ahead of the internal Sharp scaler, so the next generation, the xHD, should be extraordinary. Rumors have it that there is in fact some software tweaking.

June is when the DVDO rep was anticipating arrival, but JKA / Jason may have more current information.

Now if this means a new box or the existing one that has been upgraded your guess is as good as mine but earlier talk there was a suggestion of a new box but now it looks like an upgrade! :blink:

cheers laurie

Hi Angelo

Thought you might wanna note the above regarding the Aqua 45"

Saw one at RR running a HD loop , quite impressive, think the 30" model won some award in an OS magazine.

I ended up with a new 435 instead of the 504 we had a look at Myers

Guess you must be havin fun out shoppin for the next new toy

Cheers

DG

The small lag is the only catch, but it is better than any Plasmas on the same par. The 1920x1080 is the only one to get. Some post production places are getting them for client viewing of HD.

And thanks spacecowboy, yes there is only one 'break in box' and no new one for a whie.

When I had a good look at the 45" Aquos I was able to see motion blur on DVD's that had fast panning and action (I take DVD's to preview the screen - Lord of the Rings and usually some SciFi DVD's with explosions / fast motions on black backdrop - eg Star Wars). The smaller Aquos was much harder to pick motion blur at the same distance (but easier up close) - I presume this is a screen size related issue (and also the maximum resolution is lower on the 37" 1366*768). The 37" seemed to have poor colour gradations, something not visible on the 45".

I am quite fussy about motion blur as I am a keen PC gamer and was previously considering switching to a LCD computer screen - however I have never found one that is suitable for 1st person shooters and still use a computer CRT screen as a result. I have considered using a large home theatre screen occasionally for a computer display - hence my fussiness.

I cannot pick ANY motion blur on the plasma screens I am interested in (NEC and the new Fujitsu) - this is not surprising as I gather the equivalent refresh rate on plasmas is supposed to be 3-5ms. I understand that the 45" Aquos is 10-12ms.

That being said, the 45" Aquos is much better than any other LCD's I have looked at, and I dont think that it would really bother me siiting at 3m from the screen if I owned one. The resolution / detail / blacks / colour were great (I still find that the colours are a bit cartoon like (over vivid) - but wasn't really able to fiddle with the shop screen settings as much as I would like). My only other gripes are that poor quality inputs looked awful (The screen size and sharpness tended to display flaws too well (again, beyond 3-4m this was much less of an issue)) and the under-centre speaker position is sucky (the screen is out of proprtion) - I wouldnt use it anyway.

Hope this is of some help

J.

BTW the specs for the Australian model are for DVI only

LCD Panel 45" (114cm) Widescreen HD (1920 x 1080i) Advanced Super View Black TFT LCD

Audio Output 10W + 10W

Stereo System NICAM/A2

Terminals AVC System: Scart x 3, Component x 1,

AV in x 1, S-Video in x 1, AV Out x 1, DVI-I In, RS-232C, Headphones.

PC Card Slot Application Playback of Moving Pictures and Still Images, Recording of TV Programs

Power Source AC 110-240V, 50 Hz

Power Consumption Display: 240W, AVC System: 44W

Dimensions (mm)

(W x H x D) Display:1084 x 802 x 307 (with stand)

1084 x 742 x 95 (without stand)

AVC System: 432 x 95 x 303

Weight Display Only: 21.8kg, Display + Speaker: 26.3kg

Display + Speaker + Stand: 30.5kg

AVC System:7.1kg

John Mark:

We are getting mixed signals from Sharp regarding the AVC upgrade. (sorry about the pun....and sorry about the Americanization of your name, I couldn't resist)

Was it Abbas, I think, that had a discussion with a Sharp rep who alluded to a firmware upgrade. I remember again that one of the Sharp engineers has said that it IS entirely possible for reconfiguration to allow for 1080p passthrough.

My deductive side of the brain, is reasoning that this would explain why Sharp is in talks with DVDO. If they can passthrough 1080p in their next generation scaler, and Sharp is interested, then possibly this technology could be implemented into the AVC box. The question is whether it is proprietary or not and whether Sharp is actually serious about a deal with DVDO.

I know, for one, as does 2 or 3 on the forum, that the current DVDO scaler (HD+) is about one or two generations ahead of the internal Sharp scaler, so the next generation, the xHD, should be extraordinary. Rumors have it that there is in fact some software tweaking.

June is when the DVDO rep was anticipating arrival, but JKA / Jason may have more current information.

Now if this means a new box or the existing one that has been upgraded your guess is as good as mine but earlier talk there was a suggestion of a new box but now it looks like an upgrade! :blink:

cheers laurie

Laurie,

Have just spoken to the engineers themselves, and said there were no plans whatsoever to do an upgrade. It has never even been discussed.

So no upgrade or new box whatsoever this year.

If this came from a sales rep, obviously they are full of $hit.

Just an update. Ive spent almost an hour with the display and Truscott HIFI Melrose Park with a sales person called Mac (who might I say is a brillant guy) and I cant fault the screen.

On a good feed mate nothing touches it, but on a poor feed its almost too good and shows up everthing.

It doesnt have HDMI but it does have DVI.

Laurie a quick question to you , what was it about the media box you didnt like?

Just an update. Ive spent almost an hour with the display and Truscott HIFI  Melrose Park with a sales person called Mac (who might I say is a brillant guy) and I cant fault the screen.

On a good feed mate nothing touches it, but on a poor feed its almost too good and shows up everthing.

Laurie a quick question to you , what was it about the media box you didnt like?

Hmmm.....Could it be that Angelo moves from NEC to Sharp to Fujitsu (when US model available again)? Might be worth watching for anyone interested in buying a good, slightly-used Aquos in a few months time.

Hmmm.....Could it be that Angelo moves from NEC to Sharp to Fujitsu (when US model available again)?  Might be worth watching for anyone interested in buying a good, slightly-used Aquos in a few months time.

Hey Angelo, give me a call when you want to trade up, as I might be interested in taking a slightly used 45" Aquos off of your hands. :blink:

The scaler! Angelo try taking the signal direct to the display then via the media box either component or DVI from a decent source and see the difference :P to my eyes it added more artifacts and made the picture a bit grainer all IMHO and one other thing it only had one dvi input :blink:

cheers laurie

in other words feed a interlace signal to the box then an external progressive scan signal directly to the display!

Just an update. Ive spent almost an hour with the display and Truscott HIFI  Melrose Park with a sales person called Mac (who might I say is a brillant guy) and I cant fault the screen.

Hmmm.....Could it be that Angelo moves from NEC to Sharp to Fujitsu (when US model available again)? Might be worth watching for anyone interested in buying a good, slightly-used Aquos in a few months time.

:blink:

Actually the US Fuji would want to be better than the Aussie version, Ive seen the

Aussie 50" and its not any better than the Nec 50" plasma infact I prefer the colour on the Nec.

Ive had the Sharp next to the Fuji and the Sharp is way ahead in PQ.

The native 1080i programs are mind blowing in clarity on the Sharp !

:blink:

Actually the US Fuji would want to be better than the Aussie version, Ive seen the

Aussie 50" and its not any better than the Nec 50" plasma infact I prefer the colour on the Nec.

Ive had the Sharp next to the Fuji and the Sharp is way ahead in PQ.

The native 1080i programs are mind blowing in clarity on the Sharp !

I tend to agree. However Glenncol has pointed out that the Fujitsu has some ambient light sensor that is turned on by default (hence is probably on in the in-store displays) Apparently this accounts for the softish, unimpressive picture I've seen at eg Myer Adelaide.

I still can't fault my Pioneer 505, which BTW, is getting calibrated by Aaron next Wednesday am. Given the picture I'm getting now, I really can't expect any dramatic improvement, but we'll see.

That isa very good price...... from the street I can get it in Sydney for $9200 so it means I can drop that further would you not be pi$$ed off if you paid the full price a year ago :P bloody hell that's one of a mark up!! :blink:

cheers laurie

That isa very good price...... from the street I can get it in Sydney for $9200 so it means I can drop that further would you not be pi$$ed off if you paid the full price a year ago :P bloody hell that's one of a mark up!! :blink:

cheers laurie

I think if you are prepared to pay that much it would be worth waiting till the SHARP 1920 x 1080p 45" Aquos LCD is here. The 1080p version is already out in the US and is a significant step up from 1080i.

LC-45GD6U

tsd

Please remember that 50 field per second 1080i input can be weave deinterlaced to PERFECT 1080p 25 frames per second.

As long as the display or media box can do weave deinterlacing, a 1080i input will provide IDENTICAL performance to a 1080p input.

Please remember that 50 field per second 1080i input can be weave deinterlaced to PERFECT 1080p 25 frames per second.

As long as the display or media box can do weave deinterlacing, a 1080i input will provide IDENTICAL performance to a 1080p input.

But does the current Aquos switch to 1920x1080 at 25 frames per second progressive or is it only 1080i at 50 fields per second interlaced?

And no media box would be a bonus.