Palsonic 76WSHD

I just want to find out if the 76wshd can do real 1280*720p? And if anyone knows what it's real maximum (xxxx*xxxx) resolution is. Thanks.

Yes it does 1280x720p @ 50Hz without a problem, I upscale my DVD's to this resolution throught my HTPC and it looks fantastic.

I actuly prefer 720p over 1090i as it does not have the interlace flicker. :blink:

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Quazza

I'm at work - not much time - bit bleary eyed - up all night watching dig tv!!

Got home yesterday and the BIG Palsonic box was waiting. I was pleased it is a 76WSHD (non 'A') which has been recommended by folk on this forum.

Got it onto the cabinet (not easy - 66kg!), cabled to Thomo via thick VGA cable provided, PanaS27 via cheap component cable provided, hit power, hit 'Auto scan for channels'. Thomo RF to 20yo roof antenta.

5min later PM John Howard pops up on 7 SD WS - so absorbed in PQ that I did not take in what he was saying but it soon became apparent he was advising a terrorist attack in Jakarta. After this sobering news flash I began changing channels, half expecting problems, but all channels SD & HD seems fine. Very happy with PQ. Could not find any distortion or issues but I'm a dig TV novice.

Incredible improvement over analogue TV.

Gave the DVD a quick run on Shreik 2 and it looked good.

Sound from TV seems to reverberate through my semi enclosed wooden cabinet - after a while we decided we liked the sound. Think I can take analgoue stereo sig from the Thomo for my old amp and Dittons - may look into 5.1 down the track.

Keep in mind I have only watched a few hours of TV on the Palsonic- there may be surprised in store but so far it looks good.

Best of luck with what ever you decide to buy.

Many thanks to Dugby and others for their posts.

cheers

kenno

Well I ended up getting the Sony KVHX32M31 it will arrive Tuesday this week.

Believe it or not the wife was the one who made the decision after looking at the Palsonic and then the sony she said "That one (The Sony) has much better Picture" she asked me if that one was ok and of course I said yes :P

So the rest is history and I can't wait till Tuesday!!

Thanks for answering the questions I had Kenno and others.

Cheers Quazza :blink:

Well I ended up getting the Sony KVHX32M31 it will arrive Tuesday this week.

Believe it or not the wife was the one who made the decision after looking at the Palsonic and then the sony she said "That one (The Sony) has much better Picture" she asked me if that one was ok and of course I said yes :P

So the rest is history and I can't wait till Tuesday!!

Thanks for answering the questions I had Kenno and others.

Cheers Quazza  :blink:

Good on you Quazza

The Sony was high up on my list - and if the wife likes it .. well...

Brief update on the Palsonic which may interest you. I ran it all weekend, 7am to 11pm. Watched 'Autumn in New York' HD on Friday night. Fantastic. I usually only watch news and sport on TV but now I'm back into movies etc.

Watching the footy on Saturday night ch10 we noticed intermittent audio and video drop out - just enough to be anoying - other channels perfect. Bit of a worry until I did a signal strength test via the Thomo and found all channels well into the 'green' except Ch10 which was JUST into 'green'. (The Thomo has red(no sig) yellow(maginal) Green (good)). Anyway I think the ch10 relatively weak sig strength is probably causing the drop outs. I don't think my roof antena is earthed so may get it checked out by the pros soon.

Also, today I re-aranged the boxes in the cabinet, placing the Thomo STB above and about 30cm to the right of the TV. Powered on an had a big flicker going on Ch2! I had changed the RF cable to the STB as well so quickly changed back to daggy old RF cable - flicker still going on ch2.

Moved the STB back to where I first had it - forward and right about 40cm from TV and flicker completely gone - perfect reception on all chans, even ch10.

Seems these boxes must be extremely sensitive to electrical/magnetic fields !

Let us know how you get on with the Sony KVHX32 and best of luck.

regards

kenno

hi guys

ok I'm still debating whether to give palsonic a call regarding my geometry problems. Could you guys that just picked up your new palsonics check if the top of the screen bows down in the middle? I've recently noticed that even in letterboxed widescreen dvd's that it bows down in the middle of that picture as well by around 5-10mm depending on which side which is starting to get on my nerves.

The trouble is I'm not home very often do they just bring a replacement set out or will I have to muck around with them coming only on weekdays, having to take tv away etc?

hi guys

ok I'm still debating whether to give palsonic a call regarding my geometry problems. Could you guys that just picked up your new palsonics check if the top of the screen bows down in the middle? I've recently noticed that even in letterboxed widescreen dvd's that it bows down in the middle of that picture as well by around 5-10mm depending on which side which is starting to get on my nerves.

The trouble is I'm not home very often do they just bring a replacement set out or will I have to muck around with them coming only on weekdays, having to take tv away etc?

Hi Slayer

My Palsonic 76WSHD arrived last Friday.

Setup: TV to STB Thomo DTI1500HD via XGA and to DVD Pana S27 via component.

STB outputing 1080i (HD1/M1)

I don't see any geometry problems.

Looking at fta 16:9 TV, with my eyes directly in font of centre screen, I see 1cm black bars on all four sides. Bars are almost perfectly straight and rectangular. When screen drops to 4:3 the side bars increase to about 10cm but again all lines are straight.

Looking at DVD I did at first see some strange effects but DVD factory default setting was 4:3. After changing DVD to 16:9 I am seeing the same rectangle as in WS fta TV and all lines are straight.

hope this helps

regards

kenno

hi guys

Hi Slayer

Looking at fta 16:9 TV, with my eyes directly in font of centre screen, I see 1cm black bars on all four sides. Bars are almost perfectly straight and rectangular. When screen drops to 4:3 the side bars increase to about 10cm but again all lines are straight.

Looking at DVD I did at first see some strange effects but DVD factory default setting was 4:3. After changing DVD to 16:9 I am seeing the same rectangle as in WS fta TV and all lines are straight.

hope this helps

regards

kenno

thanks mate yep definately helps means that I should make the effort to try to get a replacement as I'm perfectly happy with the tv other than the awful geometry hopefully I havn't left it to late to get a replacement

Hi Slayer

Looking at fta 16:9 TV, with my eyes directly in font of centre screen, I see 1cm black bars on all four sides.  Bars are almost perfectly straight and rectangular. When screen drops to 4:3 the side bars increase to about 10cm but again all lines are straight.

Looking at DVD I did at first see some strange effects but DVD factory default setting was 4:3. After changing DVD to 16:9  I am seeing the same rectangle as in WS fta TV  and all lines are straight.

hope this helps

regards

kenno

Hi Kenno,

If I may enquire, did you get the 'A' model?

Regards

Philby

regards

kenno

Hey Kenno, congratulations that combo really is terrific eh....? There are only a few people with the Thomson DTI1500HD running on the Palsonic or RankArena ....which are both Auto CRTs. These two sets of technology were made for each other.

You should try HD2 and Mode3.....aka the Reserved Mode which allows you to view all the HD channels in their native(optimum) video state without scaling of any type.

ie CH30 and CH70 both are 576p and are displayed as 576p

CH20 CH90 CH12 are all 1080i and displayed as 1080i.

all SD 576i channels are displayed as 576p.

Whereas HD1 and M1 will cause CH30 and CH70 to be upscaled.

Enjoy.... as the current big brand name HDTV's don't come close in PQ as to what you now have.

regards

kenno

Hey Kenno, congratulations that combo really is terrific eh....? other.

You should try HD2 and Mode3.....aka the Reserved Mode which allows you to view all the HD channels in their native(optimum) video state without scaling of any type.

Thanks for the tip Dugby

I'm switched to HD2/M3 now and have a great picture on all channels.

cheers

kenno

cheers

kenno

Another tip, there was a minor lip synch problems at CH70, which was not a Thomson problem, but the STB SW engineers fixed this by releasing FW1114 with an expanded video parameter to synch up the video and audio. So you may need to check which version of DTI1500HD you are on. You can download and install the FW updates,

see www.thomson-asia.com (select australia and then STB downloads)

I heard a new FW will be made available any day now, to fix sound audio drop outs on some Japanese amps

cheers

kenno

Another tip, there was a minor lip synch problems at CH70, which was not a Thomson problem, but the STB SW engineers fixed this by releasing FW1114 with an expanded video parameter to synch up the video and audio. So you may need to check which version of DTI1500HD you are on. You can download and install the FW updates,

see www.thomson-asia.com (select australia and then STB downloads)

I heard a new FW will be made available any day now, to fix sound audio drop outs on some Japanese amps

Thanks Dugby

I checked my ThomoDTI1500HD FW and it's 1.1.1.4 !

I think this version came out about June so I assume I have a fairly new box.

Or else the shop upgraded the FW before selling the unit which seems a bit unlikely.

I'm starting to look around for an amp/5.1 so will follow the next FW update with interest.

regards

kenno

Hey all,

I just wanna say boy am I glad I discovered this forum (and this thread in particular) before I went shopping for a new TV today.

As a result, I picked up a Palsonic 76WSHD from Harvey Norman in Osbourne Park (the last one they had - and it's not the "A" model) for $1499 - and I'm pretty impressed with it.

I'm going to use it to watch DVDs mostly - not that interested in Digital TV, but hey that may change as I read these forums more!

My budget for a TV was pretty much capped at $1500, and I was resigned to not getting a widescreen like I wanted (or considering the LG Lafinion 66cm - but read some unfavourable reviews of it on the web, and wasn't that impressed with it when I saw one) - but thanks to this forum I scored!!

So Cheers!

Guest adminadmin

Just purchased a 76WSHD. (Not the A model ) Overall I am happy with it, however I seem to be having some slight geometry problems.

I only have a SD set top box at present, and I've connected it via component inputs in VIDEO 1.

When I am watching a 4:3 program, or there is a 16:9 program with verticals toward the edges of the screen (eg TEN DIGITAL GUIDE) I have noticed that on the very left of the picture, it isn't perfectly vertical and it seems to bow out a little about half way up the screen. Its slight, however it is noticable.

On the right hand side, it seems look quite straight, until the very top right of the screen, where is seems to bend in toward the left for about the top 3mms.

Is there any way to adjust these parameters for the RF/Video inputs. I'm hoping there is some options like there is on the HD inputs. Is there a hidden service menu or anything that allows you to do this?

Cheers

Just purchased a 76WSHD. (Not the A model ) Overall I am happy with it, however I seem to be having some slight geometry problems.

I only have a SD set top box at present, and I've connected it via component inputs in VIDEO 1.

When I am watching a 4:3 program, or there is a 16:9 program with verticals toward the edges of the screen (eg TEN DIGITAL GUIDE) I have noticed that on the very left of the picture, it isn't perfectly vertical and it seems to bow out a little about half way up the screen. Its slight, however it is noticable.

On the right hand side, it seems look quite straight, until the very top right of the screen, where is seems to bend in toward the left for about the top 3mms.

Is there any way to adjust these parameters for the RF/Video inputs. I'm hoping there is some options like there is on the HD inputs. Is there a hidden service menu or anything that allows you to do this?

Cheers

Hi adminadmin

I have a new Palsonic 76WSHD - 2 weeks old and I'm very happy with it.

A 5 min inspection suggests some of the 4x3 issues you raise may exist on my set, but very minor. I doubt that Palsonic has anything do do with it. Looks more like signal as received. I don't have time tonight to further investigate but will give you a report sometime tomorrow.

What's your 16X9 geometry like? Mine looks very good within 1-2mm all sides.

all for now

kenno

ps I think messing with service menu could void your warranty - better to call in palsonic if you are sure you have a problem.

Hi again adminadmin

I've had another look at my 76WSHD and, yes, with 4x3 I can see a very small curve on top LHS and top RHS - both inward about 1-2mm at the top. This appears to be the opposite direction to your LHS which you report bows out??

With the ch7 guide the a line on the LHS has a small deviation inward at the top.

I think these slight irregualrities may have been reported in earlier posts ( slight 'distortion' at the edges etc.)

It does not appear to affect the quality of the viewing in 16x9.

My input is via HD / XGA.

I don't know if there is anyway of tweaking to improve this. In my case is it so slight as to be of no real consequence to me.

regards

kenno

Ok just going to add more to this thread. I rang palsonic and have to give big raps to there service department. I told them of my geometry problems and they organised a new set to be delivered today. Unfortunately I was at work but my father was home to accept the new set. So as I said very happy with that.

However upon getting home this set has the exact same geometry problems argh! the top of the image still dips down with the top left being the highest the middle being the lowest point and the top right being inbetween. I find it weird that two sets have the same problem, I don't believe it is my setup (i'm using a htpc setup) but I'm really stumped as to what the problem is

Hi Slayer

I'm a newbie but seems to me if you are getting exactly the same geometry problem with a new TV then something other than the TV may be contributing?

Good to hear that Palsonic changed the set over.

Maybe you could ask them to lend you a STB (they must have lots of STB's for testing etc) - preferably a Thomo HD - and let you tune it in and check the resulting geometry. You would then know if it is a TV or HTPC problem.

best of luck

kenno

Thanks for your input kenno. Yeah its definately weird. I actually tried that last night dad has a teac sd set top box. I plugged it in via component and unfortunately it didn't seem to sync to the tv at all I just had bouncing colours all over the place so that ruled that out :blink: It worked via composite but there was huge ammounts of overscan and the geometry isn't adjustable like it is in xga mode.

Are you actually using the xga port on your set? just wondering if that has something to do with it. I'm still inclined to think it is a tvset limitation I'll post a photo as soon as I have a chance just to see if I'm getting worked up over nothing.

last night was a sit down and reconfigure night amazing how quickly you can pass a couple of hours playing with geometry settings. I had to go back into the service menu again to adjust the top and bottom pincussion settings and once again it has prevented the 9300k 6800k and the recall buttons from working again *shrug*

Hey Slayer.... I know your Palsonic is very similar to my RankArena HDTV.

On the RankArena, the two HDTV inputs XGA and VPbPr can only accept HD signals (ie 576p and above) They will not accept 576i signals.

The input labelled DVD (YCbCr) can only accept 576i signals ....an SD signal.

So don't get confused, if your TEAC STB is SD, it can only plug into the YCbCr or any of the S-Video sockets.

hi dugby

ahhh that would make sense kind of thought of that when testing but didn't even think of putting it into the other inputs. Do you still have geometry controls via that input like you do in xga mode? reason I ask is its going to be tough to dismantle dads setup again :blink:

Hi Slayer

Yep, my input from Thomo HD STB to TV is direct cable via XGA. This input (and the YPbPr) is for HD only, as described by Dugby above.

I have not tested the Thomo to TV via SD (v1,v2,v3) input as yet.

My PC has a Leadtek NVIDIA Titanium-500 graphic board which has VGA out (for monitor), S-video out (for TV) and a 'Digital Flat Panel Out' (whatever that is - large connector with many pins). Unfortunately the machines are in different rooms and for various reasons I can't move the PC down to the TV room at present. (No chance of moving the TV(66kg) to the PC!).

My nephew and his boys visited last weekend with their XBOX. We connected the XBOX via Palsonic Video3 on the LHS, and within 20 seconds they were playing games at 16X9 with excellent results.

all for now and good luck

kenno

Anyway, I thought one day, I will connect the S-video out to the Palsonic s-video in (Video1,,2 & 3 all have s-video in) and see what

Hey Slayer.... I know your  Palsonic is very similar to my RankArena HDTV.

On the RankArena, the two HDTV inputs XGA and VPbPr can only accept HD signals (ie 576p and above) They will not accept 576i signals.

The input labelled DVD (YCbCr) can only accept 576i signals ....an SD signal.

So don't get confused, if your TEAC STB is SD, it can only plug into the YCbCr or any of the S-Video sockets.

Earlier in this thread there was a description on accessing the service menu for the NON-HD inputs.... I believe this should work...

On your Remote Control, press the(-/--) button until you see THREE --- on the screen

the press (9) (5) (1) Slowly

PRESS the (RECALL) {below the (9)}

PRESS (0) (-/--)

PRESS (MENU) (up)

this should get you to the service menu

to get to the geometry and contrast menu

PRESS (TEXT?IMAGE) (MENU)

to get out of this repeat the steps.

but until you are back on the service menu

go to the shipment and press (RIGHT ARROW)