Rega Aethos Amplifier released
The Rega Aethos stereo amplifier is now available.
We were pretty pleased with ourselves for spotting the new Rega Aethos at The Bristol Hi-Fi Show back in February when many others didn't.
Now, everyone can enjoy the fact that the Aethos is available to purchase.
If you're not familiar with the Rega Aethos, it is the British brand's new integrated amplifier which the firm promises to provide next-level performance.
The new custom-designed case is home to four 160 W 16 Amp output transistors per channel, delivering 156 W per channel into 6 Ohms. The Aethos is a dual-mono design using a custom wound toroidal transformer and regulated supplies for the sensitive amplification and driver stages. The pre-amplifier stage uses class-A discrete circuitry throughout.
The power amplifier used in the Aethos, Rega states, is an improved version of the one used in the Elex-R and Elicit-R.
Also borrowed from the Elex-R is the volume control and line amplifier, but improvements have also been made here too.
The Aethos uses the Linear Systems LSK389 FET and the well-respected RK27 'Blue Velvet' potentiometer.
The level and tracking between the left and right channels is set by the close tolerance parts in the pre-amplifier circuit and less by the actual potentiometer itself. The result is keeping the mismatch between channels due to volume control tracking irregularities to a minimum.
The Aethos has a switchable direct input and a pre-amplifier output making it a versatile partner with a wide variety of systems.
Furthermore, Raga has taken particular care not to obstruct the headphone output signal path by ensuring the speaker switching is performed by the output mute relay.
Rega's aim for a no-compromise amplifier also means that there is no DAC nor phono stage. Naturally, the company's Aura MC phono stage will be high on their recommendation list.
Price and availability
The Rega Aethos is available now for £2999.
For more information, head to Rega.
- No load 12.5 V
- 32 Ω 2.7 V
- 54 Ω 4 V
- 300 Ω 9 V
- Source impedance 109 Ω
- Record output level (with rated input levels) 219 mV
- Record output impedance 560 Ω
- Pre-amp output level (with rated input levels) 840 mV
- Pre-amp output impedance 100 Ω
Input sensitivities for rated output level:
- Input 1-5 and record input sensitivity 224 mV @ 17 kΩ
- Maximum input level 11.5 V (record output amplifier overload point)
- Direct input sensitivity 840 mV @ 50 kΩ
- Power amplifier gain 31.6 dB
- Frequency response @ 100 W into 8 Ω:
- Line input 1-5 and record 10 Hz (-0.8 dB point) to 30 kHz (-0.5 dB point)
- Direct input 10 Hz (-0.8 dB point) to 50 kHz (-0.5 dB point)
- THD+Noise @ 100 W into 8 Ω:
- Direct input (Power amplifier only) Typically 0.007% @ 1kHz (measurement bandwidth 22 Hz to 30 kHz)
- Line input Typically 0.007% @ 1kHz (measurement bandwidth 22Hz to 30KHz)
- Power consumption Maximum output: 415 W @ 230 V / 220 V / 115 V / 100 V into the rated load of 124 W RMS into 8 Ω
- Fuse ratings T3.15 AL 250 V - 230 V/ 50 Hz and 220 V / 60 Hz
- T6.3 AL 250 V - 115 V / 60 Hz and 100 V 50/60 Hz
- Dimensions W 433 mm x H 95 mm x D 360 mm (including speaker terminals)
- Weight 17.5 kg
StereoNET UK’s Editor, bass player, and resident rock star! Jay’s passion for gadgets and Hi-Fi is second only to being a touring musician.
Get the latest.
Sign up to discover the best news and reviews from StereoNET UK in our FREE Newsletter.
JOIN IN THE DISCUSSION
Want to share your opinion or get advice from other enthusiasts? Then head into the Message Forums where thousands of other enthusiasts are communicating on a daily basis.
CLICK HERE FOR FREE MEMBERSHIP
James Michael Hughes takes this swish new turntable package for a spin…
Justin Choo thinks this prestigious brand has hit the right note with its compact premium wireless speaker…
Transparent Cable's Connoisseur Collection has been re-engineered and upgraded to Generation 6 status
Sony announces its flagship HT-A7000 Dolby Atmos soundbar sporting 360 Reality Audio skills
Sony's HT-A9 wireless four-speaker surround system boasts 360 sound from a dozen phantom speakers
David Price loves the live sound of this compact floorstanding monitor…
Roksan announces its next-gen Attessa range developed and engineered in the UK.
James Michael Hughes finds that less is more with this novel new compact subwoofer...
Wilson Benesch GMT One System turntable innovation continues with public launch planned for 2022
Pro-Ject launches the upgraded Debut PRO turntable with Pick-IT PRO cartridge to mark company's 30th...