KLEIN DAC SPECIAL EDITION

Gieseler Audio

After reading that Clay noticed a positive difference when adding an AQ Jitterbug to the Klein, I added one to my Mac Mini setup. I've noticed some changes. The presentation is not as edgey but still holds the detail and soundstage. I don't know what jitter sounds like but this may be it in my system. Overall a positive result for me. The main difference between the std Klein and the SE was this slightly brighter presentation with a little with more bass heft and taller soundstage. The Klein SE is on weekend duties pumping out chilled tunes for 10hrs at a time and it sounds wonderful. Thanks Clay.

Curious USB Cable next

• Like 3

Guest scumbag

After reading that Clay noticed a positive difference when adding an AQ Jitterbug to the Klein, I added one to my Mac Mini setup. I've noticed some changes. The presentation is not as edgey but still holds the detail and soundstage. I don't know what jitter sounds like but this may be it in my system. Overall a positive result for me. The main difference between the std Klein and the SE was this slightly brighter presentation with a little with more bass heft and taller soundstage. The Klein SE is on weekend duties pumping out chilled tunes for 10hrs at a time and it sounds wonderful. Thanks Clay.

Curious USB Cable next

Interesting that the jitterbug did bring some improvement - I think the USB implementation in the Klein was excellent but I'm always keen to see if things can be improved . I wonder whether the SChiit Wyrd would bring even more? John Darko and others seem to hint that the Wryd is a small step up from the jitterbug and it's $200 compared to $100 for the JB so it's not crazy money.......

Regards

Mark

Interesting that the jitterbug did bring some improvement - I think the USB implementation in the Klein was excellent but I'm always keen to see if things can be improved . I wonder whether the SChiit Wyrd would bring even more? John Darko and others seem to hint that the Wryd is a small step up from the jitterbug and it's $200 compared to $100 for the JB so it's not crazy money.......

Regards

Mark

I like the jitterbug simplicity in that It only needs 1 USB cable. The wyred and regen look good tho and I'll be waiting for the listening impressions The Klein doesn't require power from the USB cable so not sure why I hear a difference.

Guest scumbag

On another note, I tried my Stello U3 with the Klein, letting it convert the USB from my laptop and sending it to the Klein via coaxial. A definite drop in sound quality which was a marked contrast to the increase I got doing the same thing with my NAD M51. That's what made me conclude that the Klein has a good USB implementation. 

• 3 years later...

I have been meaning to do this for a while but after living with my Klein SE for a couple of months now i thought i would give my impressions, the best i can anyway! This is an old thread so hopefully it finds its way to the top.

After my patience ran out waiting for a second hand Klein II DAC I decide to make contact with Clay to see if there was an out of the box DAC he could create using the parts he had on hand and he suggested the SE which uses the AK4495EQ chip (same as the new Klein III), an upgrade over the Klein I and Klein II in sound which appealed to me so i went ahead and ordered one. What i didn't know at this time was because it had been a few years since he had actually made an SE my unit would also receive a cap upgrade , the same caps that are found in the Gross.

After testing the unit I got the impression Clay was a little taken back at how much it sounded like the Gross, this is something i cant comment on but Im pretty sure Clay is a good judge!

Having owned a Klein I DAC previously I knew the sound i was wanting and was excited by the prospect of having an even better sound coming my way. Clay suggested i burn the unit in for a minimum of 100hrs before really listening but of course i didn't have the patience for that so the first few days were hit and miss to be honest.

After the 100-120 hour mark it was and still is a very different conversation. Since connecting it i havent bothered doing any A-B comparisons, i may one day but having been on this road for the "perfect sound" for most of my life I know when I'm on a good thing and man is this DAC good! 

Instead of comparing it to other DACs i think the best way to sum it up is that it makes music feel right. For years i had my go too music that i knew sounded pretty good on most of the components i have owned along the way, this way i could feel good about my system a good chunk of the time. The downside to this is that i stopped listening to a lot of the music i loved, pretty much the complete opposite of what this game should be!

This isn't the case with the Klein SE in the mix, I have often read with envy other forum members explaining how they are re-listening to their music collection because of the latest component they  brought (whatever it may be) and i have to say thats exactly how i feel and i can honestly say its never been like that for me. Now i throw any music on and I'm amazed at just how good it sounds, its completely changed the way i listen, I'm no longer critiquing, tweaking, dreaming of the next upgrade, its just listen to and enjoy the music time, a place i thought was forever going to be out of reach!

A few last words about the sound: Expansive sound stage, deep full rich sound, three dimensional, smooth.

A big thanks to Clay @Gieseler Audio for going the extra mile for me, and also thanks to @Bill125812 for the high quality 75ohm and RCA cables which added the cream on top!

• Like 6

Another thing I meant to mention is something I have experienced with both my Klein Dacs, when the volume goes up it doesn’t start to sound loud or harsh, the sound just becomes more full, it’s a thing I hadn’t experienced with any other player or dac I have owned.

• Like 3

I had a Klein SE for a couple years and it was fantastic. Ended up trying it in a friends system replacing a Pertetual Technologies P3 and he wouldn’t let me have it back!! ...... so bought a Gross. Both are fantastic bits of kit. 

• Like 2

just discovered this brand and this Klein 3 dac now hopefully someone here can make me understand how good is this dac. I use to own those products : Asus Xonar u7,  Asus Xonar STU, Asus Xonar Essence one Muses ed, Oppo HA 2 SE, Fiio x1 and now Fiio x5 III gen and i think this dap is as well the best dac i ever had. Now after my short list is the Klein 3 any better ? Btw i intend to use this dac via usb with my laptop or android device with an Elemental Watson hybrid amp + DT 1990 PRo.

16 hours ago, Hi-Fi Whipped said:

Another thing I meant to mention is something I have experienced with both my Klein Dacs, when the volume goes up it doesn’t start to sound loud or harsh, the sound just becomes more full, it’s a thing I hadn’t experienced with any other player or dac I have owned.

IMO, this is how all well designed audio devices perform.

Matt

• Like 3

IMO, anyone in search of a DAC should really try to audition one of Clays units.

Sometimes the best sounding products with excellent value are just sitting right under your nose.

But for some reason people prefer exotics over local? 

• Like 5

On 07/11/2018 at 8:50 PM, snak3 said:

just discovered this brand and this Klein 3 dac now hopefully someone here can make me understand how good is this dac. I use to own those products : Asus Xonar u7,  Asus Xonar STU, Asus Xonar Essence one Muses ed, Oppo HA 2 SE, Fiio x1 and now Fiio x5 III gen and i think this dap is as well the best dac i ever had. Now after my short list is the Klein 3 any better ? Btw i intend to use this dac via usb with my laptop or android device with an Elemental Watson hybrid amp + DT 1990 PRo.

Doesn't look like you have owned a stand alone external DAC and can't comment on how the Klein would compare to what you have owned previously but I do know is the value of the Klein DACs is off the charts. Just read these forum pages to get a feel for what you would be buying. I had never heard one before I brought one but I can say that everything said here is the truth and my experience was everything I was hoping for. Plus the product support you receive from Clay if ever needed is second to none.

• Like 4

On 08/11/2018 at 10:22 PM, Hi-Fi Whipped said:

Doesn't look like you have owned a stand alone external DAC and can't comment on how the Klein would compare to what you have owned previously but I do know is the value of the Klein DACs is off the charts. Just read these forum pages to get a feel for what you would be buying. I had never heard one before I brought one but I can say that everything said here is the truth and my experience was everything I was hoping for. Plus the product support you receive from Clay if ever needed is second to none.

thanks for you'e feedback

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 23/08/2015 at 2:07 PM, Bill125812 said:

I must admit Clay, I'm extreamly happy with the standard Klein.

Just seems to bring new life into listing to music again

Still hearing things from the recordings that I have never heard before

Cheers

Bill

Edited by SBM
  • Like 2