The new "Listening Room"

Looks great Andy - more pics please!!!

Thanks, H.

I'm thinking next pic will be when I get my TT assembled (I just picked up my upgraded Univector 12" from Duc, this afternoon) and then another when my Maggies are assembled.

Andy

Here is the current state of the room - all the gear is laid out on the bench and I have just finished assembling the TT (with the move, I took the opportunity of giving Duc my Univector a few weeks ago - so he has brought it up to current spec).

post-104099-0-62077500-1446532331_thumb.

I've posted a closeup of my SkeletaLinn under the "Show us your Turntables" thread, here:

http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/index.php?/topic/13508-show-us-your-turntables/page-58#entry1476992

Regards,

Andy

Edited by andyr
  • Like 4

Very neat Andy--gonna sure give those knees a workout selecting the playlist! :D

Lovely setup

Willco

Thanks, Willco - but I see it more as lying on the carpet, red in hand, perusing the titles.  ;)

Andy

• Like 3

Here is the current state of the room - all the gear is laid out on the bench and I have just finished assembling the TT (with the move, I took the opportunity of giving Duc my Univector a few weeks ago - so he has brought it up to current spec).

attachicon.gifWillis St Interior 14.jpg

I've posted a closeup of my SkeletaLinn under the "Show us your Turntables" thread, here:

http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/index.php?/topic/13508-show-us-your-turntables/page-58#entry1476992

Regards,

Andy

Andy, sweet space mate! I love that turntable and the general look of the whole room.  I'm totally jealous of the vinyl storage (in a good way).. :)

Thanks, hkc.

Latest update:

• all components connected to power and with ICs connecting them together, and
  • panel stands assembled ... and carefully shimmed so that the vertical struts at the front (which the panels are screwed to) are vertical! :thumb:

post-104099-0-13028200-1447236705_thumb.

The 'coffin' in the middle of the floor is the transport case for the mid/ribbon panels. :)

The 2 black boxes are my amp/active XO cases.

Andy

Edited by andyr

After all the anticipation etc, I bet you're getting a real buzz out of this assemblage time. (Yep, I just checked - it's a real word, with correct usage). Well, it's way better than an Ikea cupboard buzz.

So, Andy, what then is your listening distance?

Where are the speakers ?  :popcorn:

As you should know, Matt ... patience is a virtue! :D

The 4x 'Forest Red' hardwood frames which the Maggie drivers are fixed to, need to be screwed onto the braced stands ... but, as this is the final 'assemblage', there are a few things which need to be done first (including getting the black socks ready to fit onto the frames).

Near field listening room?

Indeed. :thumb:

So, Andy, what then is your listening distance?

Listening distance will be very similar to what you saw at the rental place.  Can't measure this yet as I will probably have to move the panels around a bit, to get the optimum positioning.

Andy

:D  Patients, yes, these sound lounge man caves take a bit to put together.

Your job is coming along though, looking good. Well done.

"assemblage" is a disgraceful adaption of the English Language :ban:  :D  

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...

OK, since the last pic 12 days ago:

• the 'socks' were modified to stretch the material tighter and put over the Maggie frames
  • hardwood frames are mounted in their stands
  • got the (newly installed) left NAKSA 80 fixed by Hugh Dean so it has the correct gain, and
  • constructed 4x interconnects and 6x pairs of speaker cables!

And today ... I finally had stereo (first CD - then I picked up the Hills Antenna Isolator that I had ordered last week on @@Zaphod Beeblebrox 's advice and so was able to listen to radio as well)! :party  Hopefully later tonight, I will have my first vinyl session in the new house. :D

Here's a similar pic to the last one - now with the panels mounted in their frames:

post-104099-0-85883800-1448264306_thumb.

And here's one taken at my listening position:

post-104099-0-86129400-1448264323_thumb.

Note the power cables go out the back of each component, through a cable-hole in the benchtop and down to the corresponding power point.  These are my old 30a power cords - so too long for the new environment; I will gradually cut them down to size (so they don't hang down below the wall-sockets.

It is sounding verrry nice (compared to the last place) - so is this due to:

• the room (particularly the sloping wall behind the speakers)?
  • the first-rate power circuits?
  • the new NAKSA amps?
  • the new solid-core ICs and speaker cables?
  • the fact that the amp/XO boxes are now sitting on squash balls (so isolated from floor vibrations induced by the bass panel)?
  • .... ?

Now to get 4 pairs of speakers in other rooms connected up! :D

Andy

Edited by andyr
  • Like 6

Ah, you have been busy Andy

The room looks a treat, speakers look sensational and have never heard a set of "ribbons".

You know already that I can come up with some "left of field stuff" from time to time. An idea come to mind, tell me to bugger off if you like but, can the maggies be mounted horizontally, on the wall above the gear, spaced out from the wall 100mm or so ?

Otherwise enjoy having your gear back together, congratulations.

Regards 

You know already that I can come up with some "left of field stuff" from time to time. An idea come to mind, tell me to bugger off if you like but, can the maggies be mounted horizontally, on the wall above the gear, spaced out from the wall 100mm or so ?

There are half a dozen room-positioning scenarios bandied about by Maggie lovers ... but that's a new one!  (However, Magnepan do make wall mounted (hinged) speakers for the HT crowd.)

The 100mm is the problem - being dipoles, Maggies need a lot of space behind them, to sound their best.  So mine would definitely sound better if I had them another metre out from the front wall ... but, given the room size, that is just not feasible!  :(

Andy

• 4 weeks later...

Really love the Room brother, me likey a lot

Thank you, Deano!  :thumb:

When I finally fired up the Maggies in the position shown in the last pic (centre of the bass panels 1/3rd in from each side) they sounded terrific!  :party  But then WAF issues interfered ... and I had to move the distance between the panels out by 300mm and move the amp boxes to sit behind the bass panels (which is where they were in the last house).  This is so wifey can have 2 of our wide 'orange slice' chairs sitting side-by-side between the panels, when she has her book club friends round.

So this meant I had to make up a new set of interconnects (4 each side)! :(  L channel is done ... but I still have to build 3x ICs for the R channel.

Andy

• Like 1