Audio Epiphanies.

G'day all, although I've been messing around with audio and allied subjects for many years now, yet it seems that I never stop learning and some of that 'learning' might be described as 'epiphanies'. 

Some of them have caused me to challenge and even change long held beliefs and such, and sometimes that in itself can be confronting, as it were! 

I've had a few quite recently such as the abandoning my formerly beloved Shure M97xE cartridges mostly because I finally admitted that while it is a good cartridge, others in the same price range are considerably better!  It took me a l-o-n-g time to finally admit that, and even in my DIY work some things are somewhat intangible and difficult to explain rationally, if at all! 

Good design is always preferred but sometimes the ears are indeed the best way to evaluate sound quality.  They certainly have been epiphanies for me.  Have others had any?  Regards, Felix.   

Edited by catman
  • Like 1

Yes I have at the A/V and Hi Fi show in Melbourne, I realised that the sound a system makes is only as good as the recording.

And a 80 thousand dollar system or 20 thousand dollar speakers do not make you in a rush to upgrade if at all,

• Like 1

Guest Hensa

Yes I have at the A/V and Hi Fi show in Melbourne, I realised that the sound a system makes is only as good as the recording.

And a 80 thousand dollar system or 20 thousand dollar speakers do not make you in a rush to upgrade if at all,

And only as good as the room it plays in....

My listening room leans towards a lean and forward sound and my speakers and amp are neutral which tends to exacerbate this forwardness. It is particularly noticeable in winter when I have all the windows closed. Polished concrete flooring (with a thick rug), hard bookshelves holding my LPs, untreated walls and ceiling, windows to one side and behind the speakers and hard surfaces a metre behind the listening position all promote the forwardness. While I have a preference leaning to more dynamic/forward sound over lush and warm sound, I can hear the room detracting from the overall presentation.

Just this morning, opening the windows and placing some cushions and heavy towels over many of the reflective surfaces had a dramatic impact in reducing the forwardness. Adjusting the space between the speakers and playing with the tow-in also helped soften the sound.

Only problem is that now the sound has a touch more warmth without losing the transparency I crave, the room is bloody freezing! I can see my next investments will be in more permanent and professional room treatments!

Edited by Hensa

Here's some of my "audio epiphanies"..........

My first Concert........................................................Bruce Springsteen 1984

Hearing a quality speaker for the first time...............Whatmough 202i

Hearing a quality Amp for the first time....................ME 850

Hearing a quality active speaker for the first time....ATC

Realising how important the room is and that I was lucky enough to have a decent one. 

Realising the difference cables can make. 

Realising that the above means nothing with bad recordings but often becomes something more with good ones.

Realising that late night listening IS somehow better.

Edited by JohnL
  • Like 1

I remember the first time I heard the top of the line wire world cables I was totally blown away at just how much of a difference they made as I had 3 models down. Was really mind boggingly flabbergasted to find out just how much a metre they cost & remembered thinking I'd never own them. One day I did!

• Like 1

the elephant IS the room

hifi speaker cables & interconnects are overrated and overpriced x1000 

15inch drivers minimum needed for lifelike bass 

Speakers and room are everything - nothing else matters that much..