Vaf present Devialet SAM Lab and Phantom

VAF

Hi Everyone! I know we've been a little quiet for a while. Looking to change this in the coming weeks as we'll have news to talk about. 

For a starter though I wanted to let you know we've secured a visit from the Devialet team who are coming to Australia for a whirl wind tour this week.

As you may know Vaf were the first in Austraila with Devialet and they've decided to come and see us as one of the very few stops.

They'll be bringing their portable SAM Lab system and we'll be doing demonstrations of that this Thursday the 9th at the VAF showrooms from 1:00 to around 4:30 PM.

We're also having an evening event with some nice wine and food from 5:30 showing the Expert range of amplifiers and a pair of PHANTOM speakers.

It would be great to see some SNA members come along if you're free. 

Pop in anytime during the day from 1:00 to 5:00 PM. You can see the SAM Lab, the Expert range of amplifiers and the Phantom speakers.

If you'd like to attend the evening event from 5:30 please RSVP me at simon.wilde@vaf.com.au or kia@base64.com.au as numbers will be limited.

VAF - 52-54 North Terrace, Kent Town. SA. 

VAF_Devialet_SAM_EventInvite.pdf

VAF_DevialetEventInvite.pdf

Thanks for your time!

Cheers,

Simon

Edited by VAF
  • Like 4

Nice work Simon. This will be interesting. Those StereoNet members who heard the straight Devialet amp and VAF Signature i93 will remember how good it was. I'm really looking forward to VAF Signature speakers to be programmed in the SAM. Should be amazing!

I've had several RSVP's so looking forward to seeing some members here on Thursday.

Wikeeboy - I know they were originally scheduled to be in Melbourne on the Thursday, before we changed their mind :sorry: - It's a real whirl wind visit as they're flying out on Saturday. I'll ask and let you know.  :)

Cheers,

Simon

Edited by VAF

The guys in Adelaide are so privileged.

We sure are Jventer. Apart from being at the forefront of a Devialet product launch (again), VAF Signature loudspeakers will be the first Australian loudspeakers to be programmed into SAM so all Devialet amplifiers world wide will be optimised for driving them. Thursday's event is kinda cool.

Cheers,

Philip

• Like 2

Yikes. Signature i91 with SAM programmed Devialet go flat to 26Hz. Awesome.

Signature i93, i66 and i33 are already programmed. SoundWall, I90, DCX63 and DC-X42 next.

Very exciting.

• Like 5

Hi Everyone

I attended last night. Thanks to Phil, Mark (from AVation) and everyone from Devialet for putting on an impressive demonstration -- and a delicious spread. 

I was called away part-way through the night so if someone could post about what happened later in the evening I would be grateful.

I did get to hear the effect of SAM on the i90s and i93s and the change is not subtle. The sound becomes more natural in the lower bass and threads are easier to follow above that.

I also listened to a pair of Phantom silvers (I heard one by itself a few weeks ago) in VAF's smallest demo room (the soundwall room) and it was mightily impressive. Very clear sound at all frequencies. Yes, it can go to 20Hz at over 100db without sounding at all stressed. Mark from AVation kept saying how much better a Devialet Expert system would be. Well, yes, better in audiophile terms such as subtlety but I suspect many non-audiophile listeners might prefer the Phantoms for the sort of listening they actually do such as background and parties. And if you're the sort of audiophile whose serious listening is done with a desktop or head-fi system the phantom could be a perfect complement.

Cheers

ES

Guest Sime

They were nice guys From Devialet, met them on Wednesday at Miranda Hi-Fi, and I spent 2.5 hours listening to the Phantoms.

One day.

@@VAF

Did I see the Devialet team measuring the DC-3 for Sam? Have the DC series been measured or just the Signature range?

Cheers

ES

We were certainly privileged that the Devialet team bought with them the only travelling SAM Lab kit in the world. I think they broke a record getting Signature i93MK2, Signature i66MK2, Signature i33, Signature i91MK2, Signature i90, SoundWall, and DC-X42 all measured and input in a single day! I'm not sure about the DCX63. I'll check and update. All the data is being uploaded to Devialet globally and should be available to all Devialet and VAF owners worldwide. Interestingly, the SAM Lab uses lasers, not microphones to measure loudspeaker output. I'll post some pics in a couple of hours.

For owners of MK1 Signature i93 or i66 who are interested in getting a Devialet amp, contact Simon at VAF as I think he's arranged a very inexpensive way to have your MK1 models upgraded to MK2.

Cheers,

Philip

Edited by Philip Vafiadis
  • Like 2

We were certainly privileged that the Devialet team bought with them the only travelling SAM Lab kit in the world. I think they broke a record getting Signature i93MK2, Signature i66MK2, Signature i33, Signature i91MK2, Signature i90, SoundWall, and DC-X42 all measured and input in a single day! Im not sure about the DCX63. I'll check and update. All the data is being uploaded to Devialet globally and should be available to all Devialet and VAF owners worldwide. Interestingly, the SAM Lab uses lasers, not microphones to measure loudspeaker output. I'll post some pics in a couple of hours.

For owners of MK1 Signature i93 or i66 who are interested in getting a Devialet amp, contact Simon at VAF as I think he's ranges a very inexpensive way to have your MK1 models upgraded to MK2.

Cheers,

Philip

Well done Phillip!

We have actually met many years ago whilst I was living in Adelaide and had no money  :) .

Anyway great to see you are still kicking goals!

• Like 1

Well done Phillip!

We have actually met many years ago whilst I was living in Adelaide and had no money  :) .

Anyway great to see you are still kicking goals!

Thanks for sharing that Jventer. Most people start with little or nothing. FYI I started VAF as a kid in the late 70's on money I saved delivering milk and newspapers. Then a factory job made it possible to spend a little more on wood, drivers and crossover bits. It's always the way - life progresses one moment at a time. I hope life in NSW is treating you well.

• Like 1

This is Maxime, One of the signal processing engineers from Devialet who visited from France to help out at VAF on the night.

Interestingly the tripod rig is a laser assembly which measures the motion of each driver it is pointed towards. The gold contraption behind the chrome Devialet amplifier is the SAM Lab hardware. The processing power in the Devialet amplifier is an important part of the process. And through the laptop computer, the outputs can be seen, as well as the differences between the input signal (music), and the motion of the woofer. The little red speaker in this picture is a custom coloured VAF Signature i90, which has developed a bit of a cult following :-)

post-106515-0-46590100-1436501996_thumb.

• Like 1

We were certainly privileged that the Devialet team bought with them the only travelling SAM Lab kit in the world. I think they broke a record getting Signature i93MK2, Signature i66MK2, Signature i33, Signature i91MK2, Signature i90, SoundWall, and DC-X42 all measured and input in a single day! I'm not sure about the DCX63. I'll check and update. All the data is being uploaded to Devialet globally and should be available to all Devialet and VAF owners worldwide. Interestingly, the SAM Lab uses lasers, not microphones to measure loudspeaker output. I'll post some pics in a couple of hours.

For owners of MK1 Signature i93 or i66 who are interested in getting a Devialet amp, contact Simon at VAF as I think he's arranged a very inexpensive way to have your MK1 models upgraded to MK2.

Cheers,

Philip

It would be nice if the DCX-63s were SAMed but it was the small square on-wall DC that I thought I saw them measuring. Just iimagine on/in wall speakers with SAM bass!

ES

I see Devialet has added VAF speakers to their SAM ready page already

http://en.devialet.com/expert/sam-ready/speakers/list/vaf-research/

ES

<edit> Click on a speaker and it shows before and after curves and extension figures - impressive

Well spotted.

Nice to see the 21Hz native flat bass response for the VAF Signature i93 confirmed. These really are VERY special speakers. 14Hz with SAM is kinda cool too...