I wonder how this sounds?

Read the article. CNC'ed walnut with linear tracking tonearm Even got a remote!

Yes, but the cheap plastic things I was thinking of are linear too, if I recall correct.

Anyway, I'm not a prospect for something like this, but if it works for someone else.............cool :)

@@mikey d

Maybe it sounds good, and I'm just a traditional type of beast ;)

Edit: typo

Oh, and most of the cheap ones I was thinking of were a swing arm type, but i was thinking more of this one https://www.etsy.com/au/listing/231051011/sony-japanese-ps-f5-ultimate-fantasy?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping_au_en_au_home_and_living_high&utm_custom1=d0ff2157-910b-40bf-9077-2a981358c338&kpid=231051011enau&gclid=CM2Y27n8p8YCFZWWvQodV00PSA

Edited by ortofun

Just wondering how you fit a Koetsu into that thing.  Guys in South Africa are onto it.  Some nice pics of the turntables Ortofun was talking about:

https://www.avforums.co.za/index.php?topic=45260.0

Hay Geoff, i get this message clicking that AV link :unsure:

post-105164-0-69725800-1435228760_thumb.

www.avforums.co.za uses an invalid security certificate. The certificate is not trusted because the issuer certificate is unknown. The certificate expired on 23/07/2012 7:58 PM. The current time is 25/06/2015 8:35 PM. (Error code: sec_error_unknown_issuer)

Hmm..to allow or not :lol:

Edited by ortofun

Hiya

Yeah it's weird.  I thought it was just my Firefox settings, the first time.  But the second time it was OK and it's all legit.  A bunch of guys gasbagging about audio like us.

cheers

geoff  

terrible idea for a number of reasons.   I surprised it's reached almost 10 x the $50K goal:

- spring set tracking force.  could it be measured with scales?   (what I don't understand is why the tonearm still has a counterweight??)

- needs a clamp to hold record,  so cumbersome to change.   different clamp for 7" 

- no cover

- felt mat is more likely to pull away when removing record

- built in speakers  (2" full range).  so much for isolating TT.

- line out only.  

I think if they'd just put their energy into making a traditional TT they probably could have come up with something cheap and worth buying.      

terrible idea for a number of reasons.   I surprised it's reached almost 10 x the $50K goal:

- spring set tracking force.  could it be measured with scales?   (what I don't understand is why the tonearm still has a counterweight??)

- needs a clamp to hold record,  so cumbersome to change.   different clamp for 7" 

- no cover

- line out only.  

I think if they'd just put their energy into making a traditional TT they probably could have come up with something cheap and worth buying.      

That's thing is so wrong in so may ways :(

What the hell are they thinking backing it :wacko:

Guest Hensa

- no cover

- line out only.  

I think the fact that they're 10X over-funded goes to show that it's not such a terrible idea. It's not for me but it clearly has captured the attention of plenty who are looking for something a little different to a "traditional TT". Even if it just sounds adequate for background listening, then the price for the Kickstarter backers seems pretty decent to me. I can think of a dozen or so friends that would buy something like this just for the quirkiness and difference factor.