Deep End DIY - My first speaker project

acg

13 hours ago, acg said:

I do have a cracker of a wife, that's for sure.  She is pretty keen for me to finish the steel work though...

Likewise I have a wonderful lady too that would let me build a system like yours should I desire, but women that understanding are truly rare :D.

On 6/10/2017 at 10:05 PM, kodomo said:

Great looking frame! Such a good way to align horizontally too. I am eagerly waiting for you to finish this project and make sound!

I can't wait either!

On 6/10/2017 at 10:05 PM, kodomo said:

I hope you will keep everything the same, so you would not need vertical adjustments. I experimented a lot with heights and plan on trying different horns so I could not have a fixed frame like this.

I did think quite a bit about whether to make the channels vertically adjustable but in the end I went fixed for two reasons:  my small room and close listening distance meaning that I should be trying to keep everything "compact" (haha - compact, that's not a joke but it is a bit funny); Romy seemed adamant that vertical separation of the horns does not really bring any benefits.  In the end I had to choose a point where I believed what he says and where I wanted to experiment for myself and there is no guarantee that I have got it right.

• Like 1

On 6/13/2017 at 11:14 AM, Silent Screamer said:

acg you do realise that you are not only creating an over the top system, but you are creating a benchmark by which every other SNA member will get their projects green lighted by the missus.... Well I could build a system like this... ok you can have your idea :D 

haha...at least some good will come from this build.  No doubt you will hear this system some day and you may want to build something similar yourself...or you may feel sorry for me...but at least you "can" build it if you want to, which is great.

Dropped some more gear off to the powdercoater this morning and the boss came out and was asking all about the system I am building based on the parts I dropped off yesterday and the talk he had had with the sales rep that looked after me (he reckons I have done a very nice job of the steelwork).  I was there for an hour and a half talking about the bass cannons and the amps and horns with three blokes all up.  What is it?  Is this outdoor PA?  How loud does it go?  How much power you feeding it?  They reckon they are coming over when the system is built for a listen...I said that was ok so long as the powdercoating was free or I'll have to charge admission...haha.  It did not work.

• Like 2

Once it's done and I'm up there visiting mum, I would love a listen. My project may not be as large as yours, but it will probably work out to be nearly as complex. I am nearly done fixing up the cnc and will shortly start on the rear surround sound channels. Time all these drivers sitting in boxes had a new home.

I am planning to use the same sort of layered setup you are using for the horns, but I am hoping that mine will be a little less labour intensive than yours.

Yesterday I also picked up the first of the bits for horizontal isolation for the amplifiers and other isolation platforms.  They are made from tool steel (already very, very hard) which is then hardened and has the relevant bits polished.  Below you can see the first set...a flat upper bit, a tungsten carbide bearing ball and the concave lower section.  Even though I have not cleaned anything yet you tap that little ball and it rocks and rolls back and forth for quite some time.  As a test yesterday we set up three of these sets under a random lump of steel.  This setup was on top of a very large and heavy duty milling machine which was milling at the time, going back and forth, vibrating and carrying on and the steel on these isolators just lolled about at somewhere near 1 or 2 hertz, so a good indication that the concept works.

Being steel they will corrode, so this afternoon I will look for somewhere to hard chrome plate these bits.  A thin hard chrome plating is very, very hard and may even improve the isolation performance a little.

5941e17e90270_HorizontalIsolation.jpg.84a65686682e7911f469c3e8b81c7f18.jpg

There are three sets of these built into each monobloc amplifier and also into the vibration isolation platforms that I am also building for the dac, preamp, tuner et cetera.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Silent Screamer said:

Sunday night and no sign of my favorite show "Deep End DIY" been waiting all week for this weeks exciting episode...

Haha...well I managed another day or so on the tools this weekend (12 hours) and it finally looks like I am getting the steel work under control.  I am pretty sure that the powdercoating is done and I can start ferrying some of the stuff back although there will be more trips in the return direction because I won't be able to stack the steel as crudely now that things look pretty.

Will hopefully find some time tomorrow to do some more painting on the metal that I got ready this weekend and will even drop a bit more in to be powder coated.  If all goes well this week I will be able to con my wife into helping me carry the horn stack upstairs where it will be assembled along with my new audio rack.

The only steel work left are the two amplifiers and three more anti-vibration platforms (will drop the first platform to be powder coated tomorrow).  Give it say a day to finish the platforms and then at least two days work (difficult to tell...it may even take four days work) to get the amplifier chassis' assembled and tidied up ready for powder coating.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, acg said:

con my wife into helping me carry the horn stack upstairs

You can't reverse-engineer the cannons?

- Fill with powder

- Place face-down on lawn

- Aim at open window

- Light powder

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Silent Screamer said:

If you need a hand with a lift I can visit mum and give you a hand at the same time.

Not required Paul but thanks for the offer.  The upright for the horn chassis weighs 67kgs and is a reasonably comfortable lift even for one but at 2m high may cause a ding in the wall or ceiling if I am not careful.  My wife swims...she is strong enough to hold one end...or should the resistance be too great the neighbour will give me a hand.

• Like 2

Neither of those.... but let's assume that I would resort to "well they'll just have to stay downstairs then" and I predict all resistance would dissolve...haha.

• Like 2

"Darling, tomorrow I am bringing home all that powder coated steel and I'll need you to give me a hand to get the two heaviest pieces up the stairs...the big tall curvy bits"

"Ok"

So much ado about nothing!  No resistance at all...probably does not want them lingering downstairs unless I get some ideas for the HT in the lounge room.  Little does she know what I have in mind for the home theatre...

• Like 2