Currently Watching - popcorn anyone?

After sort of giving up on the Fast and Furious franchise after the fourth one, I decided to give it another shot. Fast 5 on Bluray tonight......I enjoyed it.....I like cars and action but had to laugh at it's stupidity at times.....well, a lot of times.?

In the end, it's a thumbs up.....why, even at my age, with enough scocth and scoobs, I can be still be a teenager.?

https://cache.osta.ee/iv2/auctions/1_20_49674863.jpg

Edited by stevoz
  • Like 1
  • Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Went on a trip back to a time they called the 90's   Friday arvo I just needed to unwind and grabbed "Galaxy Quest". Good Star-Trek fandom spoof with Tim Allen, Sigourney Weaver and Alan Ric

I have a vast collection of Blurays and DVD's, a lot of which have remained unwatched for different reasons, so I have embarked on a 'check out the ignored movies' quest.  Last days off, I pulled

Really liking this on Netflix - The Kominsky Method. Great dialogue.

Last night I watched Fast and Furious 6 extended cut....more absurd mayhem and implausibilities but still entertaining just the same. I must say it was a cracker of a soundtrack, giving the sub and rears a thorough workout. Glorious stuff!

https://www.cjs-cdkeys.com/product_images/d/fastfurious6__25092.jpg

As implausible as they get, F&F movies are always good fun. I did enjoy their "Hobbs and Shaw" spin-off, also implausible as hell, yet very entertaining.

Seriously, if you're about to watch F&F Nr. X you're not expecting much to think about.

Cheers,

Alberto

17 hours ago, betocool said:

As implausible as they get, F&F movies are always good fun. I did enjoy their "Hobbs and Shaw" spin-off, also implausible as hell, yet very entertaining.

Seriously, if you're about to watch F&F Nr. X you're not expecting much to think about.

Cheers,

Alberto

Very true Alberto.....and I once again put my brain away last night and enjoyed Furious 7!?

Again, a kickarse soundtrack and lots of high action silliness.....fantastic stuff!?

https://d3fa68hw0m2vcc.cloudfront.net/318/116234694.jpeg

Hobbs and Shaw is next on my list.?

Edited by stevoz

Good Omens on Amazon Prime.

https://nerdist.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Good-Omens-1.jpg

I watched it first on a plane trip between Sydney and Santiago. I had time, so, why not?

Now I'm rewatching it in HD with good quality sound. It's one of my favourite shows from the last few years, easy. David Tennant as a demon is great, reminiscent of Billy Mack, the rocker played by Bill Nighy on Love Actually, the music overall is superb, Queen pops up here and there (plus their influence on the music as well) and the story is very entertaining.

A high quality production, the English at their best. Worth your time.

Cheers,

Alberto

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Watched "Upgrade" on bluray last night......had a good feeling about this movie after seeing the trailer but was also thinking 'is this a poor mans Venom?' How wrong that was.....it turns out Venom was a poor man's Upgrade. The other weird thing about these two movies that somewhat link them is they star near dopplegangers.....Tom Hardy in Venom and Logan Marshall Green in Upgrade. Written and directed by Australia's Leigh Whannell (and made at Docklands Studios in Melbourne), this movie is a complete blast with some very clever plots twists and action wise, it pack a real punch! I loved it......Whannell is a clever guy indeed.....makes me want to watch his latest, "The Invisible Man".

• Like 2

Last weekend I watched "Rendition" (can't believe this actually came out 13 years ago).....very good but I got a bit confused with the plot time continuum......when the opening scene (a suicide bombing) repeats itself at the end. Pretty much nothing is done to make you realise that everything that follows this opening scene is actually leading up to the same attack. Left me thinking WTF? A major flaw in an otherwise powerful, gripping film.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/91%2BcvK71CRL._SL1500_.jpg

I recently watched Fallet (the Case) on Netflix. According to reviews, it is a Swedish comedy-drama television series, a spoof on the Nordic noir detective genre.

Thinking it was a serious drama, I was a little bemused by the  jokes, at times a series of running jokes.

Well worth a watch, or maybe a wad of snus.

Fallet.jpg.58809229371353f05aeee6c64268d012.jpg

• Like 1

I watched JO JO Rabbit last night.

Strange sort of movie, much in the vein of the directors previous movie 'Hunt for the Wilderpeople', but it eventually gets it's point across by the end.

Good performances pretty much all around, Taika Waititi as Hitler is hilarious, almost in the same vein as his portrayal of the father in the N.Z movie 'BOY'.

The movie is quite funny in parts [most in the first 3rd of the movie], the script was very original and well written, quite thought provoking in the latter half of the movie.

This is one movie that obviously didn't suffer from a rewrite because some dumb U.S. 'Test Audience' couldn't understand it [The fate suffered by most movies being made now days, more the pity]

Recommend viewing.

Edited by Tweaky
  • Like 1

I watched The Rise of Skywalker last night.

I had heard it wasn't that good, they are correct, what a disappointment.

I can only liken how this movie was put together as a LEGO set.

They must of written down each characters name on a LEGO block , with what was going to happen to them, then swirled them all around, and then just built a wall out of them.

Some kids can be given Lego and make something amazing and original out of the blocks, others have little imagination and just stick together the bricks so they are all used up and say they have finished.

The latter is how I found this movie to be.

The script was so woeful it actually made me cringe in places, with every cliche in the book used at one time or another.

Continuity errors were all over the place.

One of the last scenes of the movie sums up the laziness of this movie, when out heroes all land back at the rebel base, and Maz Kanata calls over Chewbacca and unceremoniously says 'This is for you' and just hands him some non de script metal object with a ribbon attached to it [presumably a medal]....What is it? What's it for? Why is he getting it ? Why is she of all people presenting it to him? Who put her in charge?...it could be made out of Chocolate for all we know.

Thank God it's over.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

http://petersmovieposters.com/fotos/80s-2/ghostintheshell.jpg

Starting at the beginning.

Saw "The Invitation" today. I read reviews before hand as I was having a hard time picking a film. I must admit the pacing was slower than other movies but I enjoyed it.

• 3 months later...

Finally watched 'A Quiet Place' tonight.....wow, what a little cracker of a movie. Hit the spot. I was impressed.?

• 4 weeks later...

I went to watch "Tenet" the other day. Nice to have the cinema all on my on.

The movie was very good, but I'll have to watch it again. If you blink or snooze, you loose with all Nolan movies. Not that I could fall asleep, the problem however, was that the soundtrack, sound effects and overall bass were so high that I barely understood what they were talking about. Plus the characters talked very low and quiet, good spies and mysterious people that they are. A bad combination for understanding. I know Mr. Nolan wants us all to watch the movie in the theatre, but I think I'll enjoy it again in a few months in the quiet of my home.

Also watched "Apollo 11", the documentary. The image quality is awesome! It's quite mindblowing what they accomplished back then, and the editing and overall result is amazing. You really feel for these guys.

Cheers,

Alberto

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Did a silly thing and rented a lot of movies on Apple tv. Which would be fine as you have 30 days to watch, but for some foolish reason I leave it until I have less than a week to watch.

Anyway, to some I've watched recently...

Galveston - I like Ben Foster but his character portrayal in this is average. The story was petty weak and I've realized I don't like Elle Fanning. 2 rotten turnips.

The Peanut Butter Falcon - Starring Shia Lebouef and Dakota Johnson. Set in the U.S south, This is a very sweet and entertaining film. Zac Gottsagen plays a young man who is seen as a person with Down syndrome and not for his human qualities. He runs into Shia's character who is a crab pot stealing roughneck. Together they embark on an adventure and become friends in the process. Dakota is Zac's carer and is responsible to search for him. Shia is a very talented actor. He really shines in this. And it's great to see a person with disability being included and he dies a great job too. 4 spicy radishes.

Last night served up Call of the Wild and The Gentleman.

Call of the Wild is a movie for dogs, about dogs. Well it's for dog lovers too really. It centres around Buck, a big, boisterous dog who goes on an adventure. It's a nice, wholesome family movie for dog lovers. Harrison Ford is good, some of the other actors too. It's a good film for the kids. 3 turnips.

The Gentleman is another fine British story by Guy Richie. It's much the same as Lock, Stock etc. but more polished. Hugh Grant is good, as is McConaughey and Colin Farrell. Most of the cast is good and it's very entertaining. I just thought the plot didn't have the wow factor. 3 turnips.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Watched Ad Astra a few nights ago. (Spoiler Alert!)

I enjoyed it a lot, it was very well shot and produced.....but at the same time, I was left feeling a little underwhelmed. Wasn't sure what the film's ultimate message was. It almost seemed like a science fiction backdrop to a relationship movie. His relationship with his father and ultimately his relationship with his wife.....sure he saved the world  but an added bonus was that it also to saved his marriage, which the film's conclusion indicated. This seemed to be the main take out.....leaving this viewer wondering if all the space stuff was even relevant. Besides the 'closure' he gained on his fraught relationship with his absent father (absent because he was 'lost' in space) which lead him to appreciate his wife more, the space setting was largely irrelevant......strange. Maybe I missed something.....:unsure:

Ad-Astra-miniature-7cds-600x380.jpg

Last night.....old faithful......AC/DC 'Live At River Plate'......sensational!

acdc-live-at-river-plate-5298d8cac922f.jpg

Took a trip back in time recently, to 1988, sitting in a (very air-conditioned) cinema in Darwin and watching The Hidden. Followed by my all-time favourite food movie, Tampopo. I wish I could get them on Bluray, but I guess they don't really need to be!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Last night I watched 'The Kingsman: The Golden Circle' on Bluray. Loved it.....great audio track, over the top story and action. As a Bond fan from a young age, the older I get the more I enjoy the comic book escapism of modern spy thrillers/comedies.....they've still got to be done well though and I'm loving The Kingsman series. I didn't even know Elton John was in it....and he was great. Jeff Bridges was a scream. Thumbs up from me!

See the source image

• 2 weeks later...

Last night I watched 'Captain America: The First Avenger' on bluray....and was shocked to realise it came out 9 years ago! How time (and my life) flies! I enjoyed it....good audio track and nice visuals and action.....sure it's a bit silly but aren't they all? 

Captain America: The First Avenger | Marvel Cinematic Universe Wiki | Fandom

Edited by stevoz
  • Like 1

Last night I had a binge with "Avengers: Infinity Wars" followed by "Avengers: Endgame". It is great to watch them back to back, but you need to factor in close to 6 hrs, damn!

Still, visuals and sound, story and humour, top notch as usual. Sad to see Chadwick Boseman gone, as well as Stan Lee.

Cheers,

Alberto

1 hour ago, betocool said:

Last night I had a binge with "Avengers: Infinity Wars" followed by "Avengers: Endgame". It is great to watch them back to back, but you need to factor in close to 6 hrs, damn!

Still, visuals and sound, story and humour, top notch as usual. Sad to see Chadwick Boseman gone, as well as Stan Lee.

Cheers,

Alberto

Yeah, now the entire lot is in uhd, I have been trying to get to start a binge of rewatch of the entire lot, but doing it in chronological order (eg starting with Captain America First Avenger). And I will include Ang Lee's Hulk in the MCU - if the Incredible Hulk is in the MCU timeline, and that movie starts more or less where Hulk ended, and shows Hulk in flashback.

I started watching "Staged" with Michael Sheen and David Tennant the other day on ABC iView after good reviews, and liking their performance in Good Omens. I expected it to be funny, but it's hilarious! Highly recommended if you're into British nonsense. Only 6 episodes and at 20 odd minutes each, it's a good way to finish off the day.

Cheers,

Alberto

• Like 2

The wife and I have been doing a bit of Saturday afternoon matinee viewing, watching things we probably ordinarily wouldn't watch.

Lately it's been a run of classic Hollywood musicals inspired by finding a really lovely copy of the "South Pacific" soundtrack on vinyl (fantastic RCA copy, not the usual MFP dross you see in charity shops everywhere).

So "South Pacific" got a run - was so much better than I expected having only seen it on the TV when I was a kid and being bored senseless by it.  Great story, loads of fun.  Some very weird filter/colour choices by the cinematographer are a bit jarring but they don't detract from the impact of the storyline.  Mitzi Gaynor is energetic and "My Uncle Martian" Ray Walston is very funny. 

Followed that up the next weekend with "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers" - a modern sensibility makes the main storyline a little...problematic but it's genuinely funny and the singing/dancing is brilliant (there is a whole dance centred on a barn raising that has fantastic choreography).  I don't really care for Howard Keel as an actor but his realisation in the final act was surprisingly genuine in a movie that doesn't strive for anything in the way of social commentary or anything much at all other than entertainment.

"Showboat" was the next one.  took a while to get into the meat of the story but Ava Gardner is just breathtakingly beautiful and if the central rendition / reprise of "Old Man River" doesn't make you redden around the eyes you just haven't got a soul.  Academy ratio (so the visuals don't really have the same impact on a widescreen telly) and the colours look very old school Technicolor but wow, might possibly be my favourite so far.  Howard Keel again - he's all bluster, teeth and cheese and never quite nails the character but still fun to watch.  Wikipedia says there is a laserdisc set with all 3 versions of this movie which if anybody has it gathering dust anywhere, let me know.

If you can suspend your "good lawd it's so cheesy" horrors for long enough to get into the correct frame of mind, these movies were obviously classics for a reason.  Anybody who enjoyed "The Greatest Showman" (which I did) will be gut-punched by "Showboat" - so much better.  Or if you want something a bit lighter in entertainment value then "Seven Brides..." is just fun and spectacle that you switch off your faculties for a while and just enjoy.

Up next - "Oklahoma".

20201019_102959.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just watched Borat, Subsequent Moviefilm: Delivery of Prodigious Bribe to American Regime for make Benefit Once Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan.

Hilariously long title and what you'd expect from Borat, an absurd but true mirror of society, in particular the US+A as he calls it.

He's rather clever old SBC. While It dragged in some spots, overall it had a good story and the punchline was worth waiting for. it was humorous generally with a few jokes that really cracked me up. Plenty of shocking moments he is so good at coaxing out of people. 

One of my favourite Aussie films. Although the ending is a little pat, the rest is just so...believable. And it's really well done.

• Like 1

A few nights ago I checked this out. It was quite good.....great audio and pretty gripping at times......and quite satisfying with a few scotches.B|

Amazon.com: The Next Three Days [Blu-ray]: Liam Neeson, Russell Crowe, Paul  Haggis: Movies & TV

• Like 1
7 hours ago, stevoz said:

A few nights ago I checked this out. It was quite good.....great audio and pretty gripping at times......and quite satisfying with a few scotches.B|

Amazon.com: The Next Three Days [Blu-ray]: Liam Neeson, Russell Crowe, Paul  Haggis: Movies & TV

Great film ?

• Like 1

Three more saturday afternoon musicals over the last few weeks:

Lady Sings the Blues - Diana Ross.  Not sure what to think about it, great in parts, pretty variable performance from Ms Ross, love the subject matter (Billie Holiday biopic).  Unfortunately the incidental music was so seventies "TV special event" quality it really detracted from the period piece vibe of the film.  When Ms Ross is singing it's quite good indeed.  Worth seeing, not brilliant.

Oklahoma! - 1955.  Awful movie - too long, songs aren't really that good compared to Showboat or Seven Brides...  Long, weird extended  "arty" dance sequence in the middle that made no sense and featured two different actors from the actual cast.  Was kinda surprising to see Shirley Jones as the main female character.  Rod Steiger is pretty menacing in a completely unlikeable role.  Bonus points for the song in Rod's cabin where another character cheerily tries to convince him to hang himself.  Not the kind of fun we were expecting and the story sucks.  Avoid.

Calamity Jane - big, stupid fun.  Understated Howard Keel a bit of a surprise since he normally seems to occupy 110% of the screen chewing on the scenery with those massive, gleaming porcelain choppers of his.  Doris Day is a gurning, frenetic, tomboy  dervish until the big makover at the end (sorry, spoilers).  Fun, not terribly taxing on the old noodle and a slight but engaging story.

• 2 weeks later...