Currently Watching - popcorn anyone?

17 hours ago, kukynas said:

Shazam - maybe interesting for age of 10-13 otherwise highly avoidable 

Lol. Aren’t most superhero films aimed at that level?

Edited by deviltoob
  • Like 1
  • Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Went on a trip back to a time they called the 90's   Friday arvo I just needed to unwind and grabbed "Galaxy Quest". Good Star-Trek fandom spoof with Tim Allen, Sigourney Weaver and Alan Ric

I have a vast collection of Blurays and DVD's, a lot of which have remained unwatched for different reasons, so I have embarked on a 'check out the ignored movies' quest.  Last days off, I pulled

Really liking this on Netflix - The Kominsky Method. Great dialogue.

Watched St Vincent, Bill Murray. Really enjoyed it, had its share of comedy as well as its emotional moments. Good character development. 8.5/10.

• Like 1

So, good week this has been...

Saturday, went with the family to watch MIB International. Cool flick, not great, but Tessa Thompson does a great job. Some very funny moments, and I somehow like Chris Hemsworth more when he's a bit dumb rather than cool. The plot however is a bit scattered everywhere, there's a bit too much of everything, so in that regard it's a bit over the top.

Spiderman, Far From Home: Great flick. Loved it. Teenage anxiety at it's best and lighter than the previous Avengers installments (which were good, but a bit grim considering). Lots of humour, a bit cheesy at times. Ties up with Avengers: Endgame nicely. Watch out for both post credit scenes, they are incredible! Not saying more, but first post credits scene introduces an additional character. Say no more. I'm quiet now.

Cheers,

Alberto

Watched "Greta" the other night... liked it..great chick flick. Good one for the kids learning to play piano and making cakes.

:)

Went for Toy Story 4 Saturday.

Lovely movie! And creepy as hell! Those ventriloquist dolls are super freaky! Worse of all, you walk down the aisle of the cinema and there's these posters of proper horror movie dolls (Annabelle, Chuckie's divorced wife and what not), then you're confronted to these Toy Story dolls and think "have I gone into the wrong flick?".

Seriously loved it, I can understand some criticism from some other people online, but it's still a cracker. Memorable scenes, and animation as gone A LONG WAY since Toy Story 1995.

Kids loved it too... but the dolls freaked them out more than any aliens in MIB International. Like I said, scary stuff.

Cheers,

Alberto

• Like 2

Recently, I watched Asher (Ron Perlman), about a "Contractor" who performs pest control on humans, for a price. Quite engaging. At no time did I feel tempted to stop watching.

Some of the elements (mostly the neighbourhood) reminded me of Smoke. Some very poignant personal interactions for the main character are handled tactfully.
The cinematography in the night scenes reminded me "He Never Died",  which I shall be required to re-watch. 7.5/ 10

Then, later I watched Atomic Blonde. Elements of The Usual Suspects, Salt and lots of music from the time of the fall of the Berlin wall.  I didn't mind that the story was a bit long, as there was sufficient action to hold my interest, and the music was great in 5.1 in my lounge room. So many times the words "Don't trust anyone" came back and were reinforced.

Bugger that spying caper... 8.5/10 from me.

• 4 weeks later...

I watched 'Mortal Engines' yesterday on DVD.

Amazing visuals, great cast, good story.  The Kiwis sure know how to create CGI.

• Like 2

Todays viewing...

268x0w.jpg.67bdc3b86685377aba0deea02973185a.jpg

Both in fine form, really enjoyed it.  Many familiar faces popping up.  I was a little worried they might be past it, but some great laughs.

Edited by BuzzzFuzzz
  • Like 3

Watched this one through the week...

903218981_WelcomeToMarwenDVDCover_x500.jpg.895a51ee064fd8216ca93d7de7d8e4fb.jpg

Love Steve Carell in anything.

Based on true events, the fantasy world of a severe assault victim comes to life as he tries to cope after the ordeal.

Real life and animated dolls make this creative piece unique, Carell is perfectly cast for the role, building a world and story as self therapy after losing all memory in the beating and on the brink of losing his mind.

Edited by BuzzzFuzzz
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Watched "Avengers: Endgame" on Bluray.

And I'll probably watch it... again. And again... There's so many unexpected things and details about it, it's a joy. Oh... if you don't like superhero movies, avoid it!

But I'll give it a rest now for a while.

Cheers,

Alberto

• Like 2

Watched Aftermath on DVD last night , fairly typical prim n proper period war drama 

Jason Clarke plays the part very  well , peter Skarsgard is okay but seems a bit stiff  ,Kiera  knightly can act but this doesn't seem a good role for her 

bleak scenery as as most movie takes place in bombed Hamburg and a isolated manor house. The Hamburg scenes are very good and moving. 

Things seem to to go from loathing to lusting fairly quickly . 

Nice  piano based soundtrack 

The Boys looks interesting though I haven't watched it yet.

Saw the trailer today before "Hobbs and Shaw".

Massive over the top entertainment, great action sequences, about 12 minutes all in all of non action be my guess, great interaction between both protagonists. A few funny cameos, and a MASSIVE Game of Thrones spoiler at the end. Good that I'm not a GOT fan!

Excellent popcorn movie. Don't ask for more, and you'll not be disappointed.

Cheers,

Alberto

• Like 1

On Sunday kids pestered me to watch "Night at the Museum" with Ben Stiller. Meh, I thought, ok, why not. I had watched it before, so, yeah it's ok.

I quite enjoyed it to be honest. It's a dumb movie of course, but there's the added plus of seeing Rami Malek playing an egyptian pharao and some funny interaction between Owen Wilson and Steve Coogan. As far as kid's movies go, it's real good.

And Saturday, the WASO (WA Symphonic Orchestra) plays "Empire Strikes Back" while the movie is showing on the back. A great present for I-Am-Your-Father's Day.

Cheers,

Alberto

3 hours ago, mrbuzzardstubble said:

Fog In August - SBS World Movies. 

recorded it as couldn't watch at the time. should be good.

• Like 1

Aquaman 

Probably the most over exaggerated POS garbage I think I’ve ever seen. Movies are getting really bad. 

I felt sorry for William Dafoe for having to subject himself to this level, but hey, gotta make a living. 

Edited by Sime
  • Like 1
22 hours ago, Sime said:

Aquaman 

Probably the most over exaggerated POS garbage I think I’ve ever seen. Movies are getting really bad. 

I felt sorry for William Dafoe for having to subject himself to this level, but hey, gotta make a living. 

This was filmed in part at Hastings Point

They built a very small lighthouse on the head land and a timber walkway down to the waters edge

Too idiotic for anyone over a decade in age to watch right through but very amusing to see how that little building became a massive set of rooms when they went inside

1927831D-966B-4616-929E-ADB76A839FA7.jpeg

8A69ED79-F230-436B-993F-5711570DA62D.jpeg

BA48D254-EBB6-4E7C-A6F6-587034A102D0.jpeg

A21BB65C-6E7B-4E5E-9DE8-28150488DA7C.jpeg

• Like 1
On 10/09/2019 at 10:38 PM, LeroyLaurel said:

Going to IT 2 tonight. Has anyone already watched it? your thoughts about it?

Goes for 2hr 50 mins apparently! Far too many 'flashbacks' to the main characters childhoods from the first "IT" movie. Remember, it's thirty years later now.....and they've all grown up. Take some "no-doze' before you go......from what I've heard, you may need them.?

Edited by stevoz
  • Like 1
On 09/09/2019 at 7:22 PM, Sime said:

Aquaman 

Funny thing was when I flew to England in May on Singapore Airlines on both the way out and back Aquaman was constantly on someones screen and it appeared the whole plane with one or two exceptions watched it regardless of their age, gender or ethnicity so it appeared to be very, very popular. I will admit I wasn't tempted to watch the whole thing but now and then I would spend 5 minutes watching a scene on someone's screen a few seats in front of me and to my left. Didn't seem to let up with things going on every minute of the film.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
7 hours ago, kukynas said:

A Dog's Journey - beautiful and very sad, feel depressed, can't comment now ?...

I hope you watched A Dog's Purpose  first. Very nice feel good movies...

25 minutes ago, SandS said:

I hope you watched A Dog's Purpose  first. Very nice feel good movies...

or Marley and me. After that 1 I no longer watch pet movies. If it comes on TV I'll watch the first half then turn off.

Probably doesn't help we've lost a cat and a dog in the last 18 months.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes I enjoyed it, watched it a couple of times,  the kids today proberbly don't realise how many songs the Beatles wrote, must be over 200.. I remember my last year at school in England, they were number one every week for the whole year. It would have cost the film makers a few million for the song rights for the few that were in the movie.  I thought the bit where he meats 'John' was a good twist in the story line.

• Like 1

A couple of nights ago.......John Wick 3 Parabellum on bluray.

Over The Top Awesome!!!!!????

Edited by stevoz
  • Like 1
On 26/10/2019 at 8:03 PM, kukynas said:

Yesterday - very nice movie, well made, good story and actors

Good. Watching it as part of my Friday night session tomorrow.

4 hours ago, stevoz said:

A couple of nights ago.......John Wick 3 Parabellum on bluray.

Over The Top Awesome!!!!!????

I enjoyed 3 but it did come across as a bit convoluted. Still love the first one and often pull it out if I want some fun.

• Like 1

I bought the Aliens Evolution boxset a few weeks ago and have been going through the movies. Prometheus is excellent, first time I'd seen it. Aliens, the original sequel is utter garbage, far worse than I remember back in the day and I can't believe it was well received on first release.