Currently Watching - popcorn anyone?

G'day,

[...] found the ending to be the major letdown of the piece, in my opinion.

All the superhero movies (Dark Knight, Iron Man, Hulk) this year have had weak endings: the hero battles an evil version of himself, in a scene that is not as exciting or as spectacular as the rest of the movie.

--Geoff

• Like 1

Forbidden Kingdom

[ATTACH]3562[/ATTACH]

You gotta love a Jackie Chan flic and even better when he's paired up with Jet Li.

Throw in a modern Monkey, a couple of hot Asian chicks and some top shelf kung fu action and you've got a recipe for a top movie.:)

It wont be mentioned at the Oscars, and you will probably never watch it more than twice, but personally I just love the whole genre, and this one's a keeper.

Cheers,

Jake

Forbidden Kingdom

[ATTACH]3562[/ATTACH]

You gotta love a Jackie Chan flic and even better when he's paired up with Jet Li.

Throw in a modern Monkey, a couple of hot Asian chicks and some top shelf kung fu action and you've got a recipe for a top movie.:D

It wont be mentioned at the Oscars, and you will probably never watch it more than twice, but personally I just love the whole genre, and this one's a keeper.

Cheers,

Jake

IF you like that sort of stuff,well either you or your kids will love CJ7

IF you like that sort of stuff,well either you or your kids will love CJ7

Thanks Tweaky, looks good. Completely different genre to Jackie Chan/Jet Li, but looks like fun all the same. Very reminiscent of Kung Fu Hustle (same director).

Cheers,

Jake

I third the "into the wild" comments and a most excellent soundtrack from mr Ed

I also third the dark knight comments. Heath's performance is (for me) worth the price of admission alone.

It even inspired me to watch Batman Begins again last night (seen this one a number of times but last night was first in Hi Def).

I have also recently watched:

The Matador - fairly average

Wolf Creek - Scary

Aeon Flux - Charlise is hot

Darkman - where the comic book adaptions started

Feast - funny horror movie with Henry Rollins cameo

Harsh Times - Christian Bale movie (straight to video for a reason?)

Happy to provide more in depth reviews if anyone is interested in a particular title

Another happy watcher of "Into the Wild" here. A gritty movie with a good sound track as previously noted. Two Thumbs up.

Wolf Creek I did enjoy that one - but the geographical clangers kept annoying me. Had no one in the film production actually been to Wolf Creek Crater?

A few I've watched lately -

HoneyDripper With Danny Glover - a nice movie with a music theme. Even had Keb Mo playing in the movie. Something for a wet Sunday arvo.

Meet Dave another Eddie Murphy movie that fails to hit the spot. A few chuckles for the adults but more for the tweenies.

Now a couple for recommended viewing.

The Trap a foreign film directed by Srdan Golubovic. Totally devoid of "hollywoodness". Gutsy movie with twists. Not action nor horror just human relationships. Works on the viewers emotions.

The Shadow of the Moon directed by Ron Howard. A doco that looks at the Apollo Missions. Great piecing together of interviews with some of the astronaunts. Some good stories told but as a whole shows these guys to be just very fortunate humans with a lot of courage. They have a dig at the conspiracy theorists at the end. Worthwhile viewing.

NFA

Edited by nofixedaddress

A few that I have watched in the last few days are.

Wall-E...http://disney.go.com/disneypictures/wall-e/

Good kid movie with a green bent.

Hellboy 2...http://www.hellboymovie.com/

Ok but a bit smulthzy......hellboy and the gill guy getting soft of women sort of leaves it sort of lacking.

Super High Me...A comedian whose main topic is being stoned tries the Super size me diet with marijuana.

Wall-E appears to be another Pixar gem.

If you have seen any other Disney/Pixar films, how does it compare to some of them? I'm interested in this one, because the character doesn't seem to have the same degree of appeal as past entries.

It has a environmental bent to it,Wall-E is the last working waste disposal robot and all humans have left earth over 700 years ago and are on a cruise type space ship,the ship sends out probes looking to see if earth is habitable again.

One of the probes is called EVE and Wall-E falls in love with it.

I don't want to post spoilers,but It all ends up happy ever after for all concerned,as is the norm for Disney.

Not the best Pixar/Disney movie ever,plays on the "Puppy looks" of Wall-E a bit too much IMHO.

I watched "Tropic Thunder" last night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pxOzSpUXtg

Some very funny parts in this movie [the set destruction at the beginning is hilarious]and Steve Coogen goes out in a very Pythonish fashion but ultimately gets very silly just over half way in and the ending was very B grade,Tom Cruise as an over weight hard arse studio head doing this dance is classic.

Jack Black is the weak point,his part could of been written out of the script and it would of made a better movie IMHO.

Russell Crowe gets the piss taken out of him big time by Robert Downey jr,worth watching just for that.

Edited by Tweaky

I watch "The Savages" the other night,brilliant acting,an irony of life type movie that is usually the domain of french movies,funny in a droll sort of way...recommended.

Then saw "Baby Mama",I know it's a chick flick but I actually enjoyed it,well scripted and acted....If you are going to get dragged to a "chick flick"make it this one,some of the scenes with Steve Martin as the new age company owner are quite funny and you actually feel an empathy with most of the characters.

The Painted Veil-

A somber slow silent soliloquoy sadly short of substance.

Boy meets girl- girl plays up-boy carks it.

Chick flick

Based on a Somerset Maugham short story.

Beautiful photography in that movie,CHINA at it's most picturesque.

Much of a Muchness...as was ATONEMENT.

• 1 month later...

Righteous Kill.

New De Niro and Pacino cop movie.

I was looking forward to this after the truly abysmal Pacino movie 88 minutes.

Well,it could of been better,it wasn't bad,just sort of bland.

I don't know if it's because I watch a hell of a lot of movies that I knew what was the supposed amazing revelation at the end of the movie after about 15 min in,or that I thought both actors had lost interest,particularly Pacino,during the shoot.

Wait for the DVD is my advice.

Ive just finished watching the first (and only) season of this delightful musical comedy show. Now, I am the last person to advocate anything from across the dutch, mainly because of that atrocious accint, I really, really cant stand ut.

But, this show is brilliant, and I really hope they do a 2nd season. Some of the songs, although they are comedy based, are bloody great. I will chase down their music CD for sure.

Flight of the Conchords

[ATTACH]4459[/ATTACH]

I appear to be alone in the 'type' of movies I've watched recently.........

• Stop Loss (Brilliant theme)
  • Body of Lies (not bad)
  • In Bruges (clever)
  • Mamma Mia (best movie of 2008 so far)

Anyhoo............just thought I'd mention a few.

Am currently halfway through Iron Man on DVD........haven't yet 'heard' the part that destroys speakers and subs though.

Russ.

G'day,

I watched season one and season two of the TV show Dexter.

Disturbingly good.

It's gold, Jerry. Gold. And season 3 has just started in the US, but FIIK when Ten will be airing it, considering that season 1 has only just finished here.

Also gold: Season 1 of "Heroes" (although it has really nuked the fridge now).

--Geoff

• Like 1