Carl Sagan quotations

I watched and read a good of Carl Sagan's stuff over the years. Here are a few gems:

"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."

"It is of interest to note that while some dolphins are reported to have learned English -- up to fifty words used in correct context -- no human being has been reported to have learned dolphinese."

"Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense."

"A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism."

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.â€

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.â€

“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.â€

“Who is more humble? The scientist who looks at the universe with an open mind and accepts whatever the universe has to teach us, or somebody who says everything in this book must be considered the literal truth and never mind the fallibility of all the human beings involved?â€

“It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out.â€

“We are like butterflies who flutter for a day and think it is forever.â€

“How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, “This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant?†Instead they say, “No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.†A religion, old or new, that stressed the magnificence of the Universe as revealed by modern science might be able to draw forth reserves of reverence and awe hardly tapped by the conventional faiths.â€

“The nuclear arms race is like two sworn enemies standing waist deep in gasoline, one with three matches, the other with five.â€

“The idea that God is an oversized white male with a flowing beard, who sits in the sky and tallies the fall of every sparrow is ludicrous. But if by 'God,' one means the set of physical laws that govern the universe, then clearly there is such a God. This God is emotionally unsatisfying... it does not make much sense to pray to the law of gravity.â€

“I don't want to believe. I want to know.â€

I miss Carl.

• Like 6

Carls' grasp of life, the Universe and, ...well ......everything, is miniscule when compared to the expansive knowledge of Mr. Abbott and Greg Hunt. The space between their respective ears is vast, and worthy of the highest esteem.

If Carl was still around, I am sure he would have a special 'bon mot' for the two of them. Respect.

ZM.

• Like 5

How many Carl Sagans does it take to change a light bulb?

Billions and billions.............

Well as he's dead I'd imagine more than one.