I doubt there would be any of us locals who went to the recent week passed Canjam but I'm still waiting for more on the Yggy. I liked there other stuff, waiting to hear the Rag and the Ygg when it comes out.

Only time will tell. No DSD is fine for me. 

If I do get the Yggy that means I'll need to get the Rag, need matched pairs.

Aye, but you never know how well traveled this audience is, but fair point. I'm also completely happy without DSD in my life. No room for Sabre-rattlers either, to keep these ears happy. I'd like to believe there's more than marketing hype to the "Western Electric algorithm from 1918" claim about the filter but who knows? It could sell well.

Yeah no plans to get on the DSD bandwagon - enjoying the schitt bifrost with uber analogue which has improved no end with burn in - absolutely no chance of getting a full burn in in the 15 day trial period. The blurb about 'medical' background for the dac reminds be a bit of the Metrum Octave/HEX - which I also have and rate very highly - maybe I should sell both and get the Yggdrasil :-)

Not bloody bright sounding for one. Cannot stand any of the as of late raved ESStech Sabre IC based dac's. For vocals it's like live, low end could do with some heft but balanced overall for a nos dac. I can get one for around 2.7k with the usb option. Was a fan of the Octave when I owned one for a short period of time, so liked the Hex.

I hope the Yggdrasil's DACs are as far away from Sabre as possible, and so far indications are reassuring.

The Sabre designs may be a fine chipset for Blu-Ray players but I steer clear of them when it comes to music. They're very cleverly designed but, musically (and from my experience), they seem like an answer to a question no one was asking. Certainly not me.

Edited by jusbe

• 7 months later...

I've got this dac since last Friday, running headphone setup, mainly with hd800 using dht tube amp (also lcd-x). Up to about 80hrs, pretty much unlistenable though (very stiff and hard, lean and analytical).

Today, I'm about 150hrs, and I think the hype is very much true. It's interesting to see whether it will still keep getting better. For reference, I have Sonicweld Diverter to audio-gd ref7 to compare everyday. Very lifelike presentation, dynamic, detailed texture and organic at the same time. It's Phase Invert button certainly very nice, especially for redbook.

• Like 5

Hey Guys - Curious as: the whole R2R vs. ESS debate is something front of mind for me right now. 

I'm currently enjoying arguably the most musical and resolving D/A I've had the chance to experience so far in this hobby - an MSB Analog DAC + MSB Analog Powerbase. It's true resolution, no over-emphasis: the type that not only excels at detail retrieval but creates the space around said details thereby enabling the music to flow with depth and scale. 

However, the upgrade bug has placed something tempting in front of me. It's a sizable step-up, which would in turn see my front end step into the $20K region. It's got a list price of about $40K. Having said all of that it's an ESS implementation.

I know price is never a good barometer of quality in this space, however I wonder if we can make the generalisation that all ESS based DAC's are bright, dry, etc....?

Cheers,

GS

Hey Guys - Curious as: the whole R2R vs. ESS debate is something front of mind for me right now. 

I'm currently enjoying arguably the most musical and resolving D/A I've had the chance to experience so far in this hobby - an MSB Analog DAC + MSB Analog Powerbase. It's true resolution, no over-emphasis: the type that not only excels at detail retrieval but creates the space around said details thereby enabling the music to flow with depth and scale. 

However, the upgrade bug has placed something tempting in front of me. It's a sizable step-up, which would in turn see my front end step into the $20K region. It's got a list price of about $40K. Having said all of that it's an ESS implementation.

I know price is never a good barometer of quality in this space, however I wonder if we can make the generalisation that all ESS based DAC's are bright, dry, etc....?

Cheers,

GS

No. Thinking so is just the tendency of audiophiles to turn every idea in audio into some sort of "religious belief" that's always true. It's all in the implementation, the DAC chip itself doesn't pre-ordain how the DAC will sound. Although I am wondering what you think may sound better than the Analog DAC and powerbase. I wish I could afford that setup. Can't you listen to the new DAC at home and compare?

Edited by firedog
  • Like 1

firedog is right. You just have to audition and learn what choices the designer made, and hear whether they were able to overcome the limitations of the specific DACs they've used - as they all have weaknesses.

At the price levels you're considering, you should get great sounds. That said, we all have preferences. What is the upgrade device (and why is it so discounted)?

No. Thinking so is just the tendency of audiophiles to turn every idea in audio into some sort of "religious belief" that's always true. It's all in the implementation, the DAC chip itself doesn't pre-ordain how the DAC will sound. Although I am wondering what you think may sound better than the Analog DAC and powerbase. I wish I could afford that setup. Can't you listen to the new DAC at home and compare?

Yes, I agree. I'm quite like Vega dispite it use sabre chip. I will also put implementation and individuals preference on top of dac chip itself. Auditions to new dac at home or shop will be the next suggestion, although sometimes it has its constraints (limited available time and timing to do it, the warm-up of particular component, etc).

I'd also add that I'd have an Yggy by now but Jason at Schiit is fulfilling (numerous!) back orders before sending out review units. I could buy one but.....

This multibit thing that they're doing is coming to new versions of the Bifrost and Gungnir. I'll be getting one of the latter in August.

Edited by John H. Darko
  • Like 1

I'll be very interested to try a multibit, Biforst or yggy agaist my CAL CL-15. 

I picked this unit up here and it was a clear 15% better to my ears than a rega dac but i'm always worried that due to its age, it's days are numbered.  Mind you the DAC might keep going even if the cd mechs fail.

I think it provides a good base line for $500-2K DAC's and cd players to go up against. 

EDIT: probably have to add the KLEIN DAC to that challange.

Edited by DAMO 1147

firedog is right. You just have to audition and learn what choices the designer made, and hear whether they were able to overcome the limitations of the specific DACs they've used - as they all have weaknesses.

At the price levels you're considering, you should get great sounds. That said, we all have preferences. What is the upgrade device (and why is it so discounted)?

I'm considering the Accuphase DC/DP combo for same on the forums. Listening to the setup unfortunately isn't an option. I'm familiar with the house sound, although haven't specifically heard this unit in my system. 

It's touch and go at the moment, as really, $20K is a lot to drop on what for all intents and purposes is a system that sits in an untreated communal family/media room. I'm not sure I'll be extracting every bit of the combo's potential given. 

I'm looking forward to hearing the Yggy. I might pick-up a Yggy + Rangnorak stack for my study. 

I'm considering the Accuphase DC/DP combo for same on the forums. Listening to the setup unfortunately isn't an option. I'm familiar with the house sound, although haven't specifically heard this unit in my system. 

It's touch and go at the moment, as really, $20K is a lot to drop on what for all intents and purposes is a system that sits in an untreated communal family/media room. I'm not sure I'll be extracting every bit of the combo's potential given.

logic fail

logic fail

LOL. Fair point. What I didn't mention was we're knocking down and rebuilding in a year. A proper, treated room will be on the cards. I'm thinking of buying the DC/DP combo now because it doesn't pop up for sale often. 

Edited by Galactic Soap

Unless you can audition the  Accuphase at home against your MSB your taking a reckless gamble. The Analogue DAC is superb. At that level of performance the chances of any other DAC clearly outperforming it are slim.

Unless you can audition the  Accuphase at home against your MSB your taking a reckless gamble. The Analogue DAC is superb. At that level of performance the chances of any other DAC clearly outperforming it are slim.

You're right. The MSB is superb. I've heard the DP720 which is Accuphase's all in one unit, so I've got a baseline to work off re: the DP/DC sound signature. Having said all of that, the only reason I bought the Analog DAC is because it was the only Dac I had the chance to audition in my system at the time. 

Anyway, back to the Yggy which may well present me with the same problems i.e. inability to have an in home audition. It's not always possible living down under as I'm sure you'd know. 

Edited by Galactic Soap

Hi-fi trader or A2A Sydney have both schiit statement dac & amp on demo, as far as I know and they open 7 days a week :-)

That's good to know! I'm yet to pop buy and introduce myself to the guys down there. This sounds like the perfect opportunity. Like many of us on this forum I'm not very patient. I see there isn't ETA listed for the Yggy yet. If I like something I tend to want to buy it immediately.

That's good to know! I'm yet to pop buy and introduce myself to the guys down there. This sounds like the perfect opportunity. Like many of us on this forum I'm not very patient. I see there isn't ETA listed for the Yggy yet. If I like something I tend to want to buy it immediately.

I bought this dac from them (after waiting for a while though). It seem it's quite high demand items atm.

Alternatively Soap, if you order from Schiit directly, they do a 15 day in-home trail however, its probably not worth it given shipping/customs.

That being said, I'm not sure what more you are looking for, I'd hazard a guess that the Yggy is more of a sidegrade than an upgrade for the MSB analogue.

If I was looking to take a punt on a DAC that cost more than the MSB I might look at the rockna or totaldac options.